“Worst” part about becoming a Beast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: “Worst” part about becoming a Beast

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:54 am

I think the struggle and putting puzzle pieces together is way more engaging than sitting in a set ladder stand in a rut funnel on private. Might be stupid, but I find it more rewarding and interesting. Worst part is going deep and finding no sign in places you scouted in spring.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:05 am

Running out of wall space.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:07 am

seazofcheeze wrote:Running out of wall space.

:D :handgestures-thumbup:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:18 am

seazofcheeze wrote:Running out of wall space.

:clap:

Having to live in a hollow tree certainly has its' drawbacks, doesn't it?
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:02 am

Chiggers from scouting this time of year. I have a thorough routine of bug spray and permethrin, but the stuff I walk through, can’t stay 100% chigger free.
Strategically Inefficient
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:27 am

Worst part about becoming a Beast? Knowing that even in sub par areas there are some very big deer that exist. Knowing that I have what it takes to track them down and kill them. Knowing that I won’t ever be able to spend the amount of time that’s necessary in order to kill giants consistently.

I’ve been getting out once a week, but even that’s not enough. It takes a serious amount of time to stay on them.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:42 am

UncleBuck3268 wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:Worst part? Maybe: never being satisfied with hunting a ladder stand again? can't be lazy anymore?

:think:

I didn't really understand the question. Why is there a worst part? It's all good. Because, if you're doing this, you clearly gotta want it.

That’s why I had it in quotes. It’s not a worst and I didn’t mean it like that although it may have seemed to come off like that. I guess I was looking more so for some experiences that people have had hunting as a Beast, like being stuck in a swamp somewhere at dark or getting lost. Honestly for me that’s what I love about it.

Oh, okay. Yeah, so far, falling on my rear end in 2 feet of swamp water and having a hard time getting up because a boot was stuck in the muck.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:47 am

Agree that the worst part is realizing what my real expectations should be for success with big bucks. If when I started deer hunting I knew what my real expectations for giant bucks should be, I probably would have quit and spent more time fishing!

But I think the worst part is also the best part because I feel confident every time I get out hunting and the more time I spend in the woods the more excited I get knowing that I am inching closer and my odds are going up with each outing. On a 3 day weekend of hunting by the end of the hunt I'm not ready to go home, I'm just starting to get in the zone.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:55 am

Huntress13 wrote:
UncleBuck3268 wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:Worst part? Maybe: never being satisfied with hunting a ladder stand again? can't be lazy anymore?

:think:

I didn't really understand the question. Why is there a worst part? It's all good. Because, if you're doing this, you clearly gotta want it.

That’s why I had it in quotes. It’s not a worst and I didn’t mean it like that although it may have seemed to come off like that. I guess I was looking more so for some experiences that people have had hunting as a Beast, like being stuck in a swamp somewhere at dark or getting lost. Honestly for me that’s what I love about it.

Oh, okay. Yeah, so far, falling on my rear end in 2 feet of swamp water and having a hard time getting up because a boot was stuck in the muck.

Back in the day, Outdoor Life magazine ran a story about a guy who was running a Northern trapline in remote country in subzero temps.
He was walking over a frozen beaver pond that had drained out below the ice in one spot, and he broke through with one leg. That foot got wedged hard between some roots.
Unable to break through the rest of the ice to chop himself free, he very nearly froze to death right there.
Luckily, a last ditch effort lurched him free without a broken leg.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:00 am

My first year being more mobile I stretched the legs a bit and hunted some areas I never had before. Got lost for a bit one night coming out of a big woods area with no cell service and phone was dying. Figured I might be spending the night in the woods till I finally hit a small swamp that I recognized and found my way out.

I've told this story on here before but the same season a bit later on hunting the same spot and right before dark I had what sounded like a huge buck coming in. Legs shaking barely holding it together and in walks a big cow moose. She milled around and I'm waiting for her to leave. Pretty soon I'm yelling at her and she's just standing there staring at me. Now it's been dark for 45 mins or so and she was maybe 30 yards from the tree behind some bushes so I scooted my climber down the tree and made for the truck at a good pace. Not sure what her deal was.

Mostly the hb has opened my eyes to hunting with a purpose every time I hit the woods and not blindly sitting the same spots on some random deer trail hoping for something to come by.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:43 am

Worst part.... hmmmm?

For me it's not having anything in common with other hunters around the camp fire. And having to hear and deal with their complaining about not seeing or killing deer.

Dont get me wrong I can still hit a box stand over a food plot and corn pile as good as anyone else. But I just dont enjoy it like I use too.

The best part is when guys at camp tell me I'm crazy for hunting like I do and then seeing their face when I bring in a good buck to camp/house and they aren't seeing anything on their food plot/corn pile
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:17 am

My taxidermy bill lol
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:02 am

I'm not sure there is a worst part. It's a different way of hunting then the norm. I would say relearning how to hunt from how I was taught would be the worst and rons and tons of learning but that makes you a better hunter. So how can that be bad?
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:45 am

Ive always enjoyed scouting but now when I go I feel like once I find a buck bed , I need to check every possible exit trail surrounding the bed . Spend way more time hiking , mapping thinking about possible set ups . My 49 year old bones will be sore tomorrow for this reason but I can’t wait until my next trip to the big woods . Scout , scout , hunt.
CL driver

Unread postby CL driver » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:10 pm

UncleBuck3268 wrote:I am just looking for experiences and stories you can recall about starting your hunt style as a Beast. I haven’t been in this game as long as many of you have but truly there isn’t anything I love more than hunting Beast style. It’s a rush for my age heading out of a swamp late at night and getting a mini heart attack when you crash through some swamp muck down to your chest. Always wanted to do a sky dive and never had the opportunity to but this style of hunting tops that every day of my existence. I let lost is mostly checked after doing Beast style swamp hunts!

The worst part is my wife worries about me,,she absolutely hates that I don’t have a “hunting buddy” I made the mistake of re-telling her stories my grandfather told me about a swamp (floating bog) on his farm that I still hunt occasionally and how they lost a draft horse back there and that great grandpa’s steam engine tractor is buried forever back there also. Guess she’s afraid I’m going to sink thru like quicksand or something ?!?

Oh as far as skydiving,,,I’m an airline pilot,,I used to fly those crazy skydiving fools early in my career building time and even so some of those planes we flew 30 years ago were flying dumpster fires you couldn’t pay me enough to actually get out of one !

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”