Draw weight

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CL driver

Draw weight

Unread postby CL driver » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:02 pm

Maybe I should have put this in different section?

I’ve recently switched back to an upright bow after using crossbow for last few years,,,I’m 51 accelerating quickly to 52, in somewhat decent shape, my problem is I’m having real issues drawing 60lbs! I used to pull 70lbs 5 years ago but now I’m having real issues, been watching videos on proper draw techniques and trying not to hurt myself but holy cow I can’t believe this!

My cousin and other bowhunting friends and a few said just back it down to 50-55lbs and go hunt (been shooting 50-53# all summer) I just feel like such a wuss that I’m struggling so much. At 50# I can shoot a dozen arrows without any struggle but now up to 60# I can’t even get thru the 6 in the quiver,,,I’ve been trying to shoot once or twice a week all summer to keep limber and form. When I got this bow in December I had them set it to 70# and I couldn’t even pull it! I was stunned I couldn’t do it anymore!

Are there any tricks/strength thing I need to try? What does everyone else on here draw? Thanks. Troy

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Draw weight

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:38 pm

As a woman, older than you, I'm hunting at about 48#. But, it took me a long time to work up to that weight and it takes work to keep it.

What worked for me was shooting as often as possible, that amounted to 5x a week and sometimes more than once per day. I would turn the bolts just half a turn when I turned up the pounds. Sometimes even just a quarter turn. Then after several more sessions or a week, I would turn it up more.

Now I can pull the bow maxed out which is about 52 or 53#. But for hunting and when it gets colder out, I need to turn it down a few.pounds
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:58 pm

That’s great advice from huntress for building strength, I have seen some elastic type band workouts one can do too. But as season gets closer and the cold starts creeping in on us in the Midwest, I would much rather be be down a little bit in weight than be stiff and struggling to get the bow back smoothly with bullwinkle in front of me. Keep working those muscles and don’t feel bad if you keep your bow at 50-55 lbs if you don’t have to struggle to get it back I gurantee you will make a better shot on the animal. And on a side note I once had a friend that pretty much lived in the weight room and he couldn’t come close to pulling 70 lbs sometimes those muscles just aren’t used enough.
Haste makes waste
clandestine.misfit

Unread postby clandestine.misfit » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:08 pm

IMO the biggest difference between 55-70 lbs is the ego of the person drawing it back.

Obviously there are advantages to a higher draw weight but accuracy and shot placement are more important.

Fwiw i just raised up to 45 from 36 and i killed deer the last two years with my bow when it was at 36.
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:55 pm

Depending on where you have it set, shortening draw length a half inch will help also
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:56 pm

clandestine.misfit wrote:IMO the biggest difference between 55-70 lbs is the ego of the person drawing it back.

Obviously there are advantages to a higher draw weight but accuracy and shot placement are more important.

Fwiw i just raised up to 45 from 36 and i killed deer the last two years with my bow when it was at 36.

I agree with this. Also its very important to know your effective range. A buddy of mine just told me the other day that he bought #80 limbs for his bow. I almost feel out of my seat. He said he wanted it to shoot faster. I cant believe in this day and age that somebody would still be interested in that. Most if not all modern bow shoot plenty fast enough with #60 limbs. Two biggest things to me even before the shot are to pull something comfortable in any situation and simply knowing your maximum range.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:22 pm

CL driver wrote:Maybe I should have put this in different section?

I’ve recently switched back to an upright bow after using crossbow for last few years,,,I’m 51 accelerating quickly to 52, in somewhat decent shape, my problem is I’m having real issues drawing 60lbs! I used to pull 70lbs 5 years ago but now I’m having real issues, been watching videos on proper draw techniques and trying not to hurt myself but holy cow I can’t believe this!

My cousin and other bowhunting friends and a few said just back it down to 50-55lbs and go hunt (been shooting 50-53# all summer) I just feel like such a wuss that I’m struggling so much. At 50# I can shoot a dozen arrows without any struggle but now up to 60# I can’t even get thru the 6 in the quiver,,,I’ve been trying to shoot once or twice a week all summer to keep limber and form. When I got this bow in December I had them set it to 70# and I couldn’t even pull it! I was stunned I couldn’t do it anymore!

Are there any tricks/strength thing I need to try? What does everyone else on here draw? Thanks. Troy

Don't worry about your poundage aslong as your at the minimum of pounds of your states legal weight. I honestly don't know what my bow is set at. I bought it new and the shop took 1 1/2 turns off the limbs before I even shot it and I can shoot 70lbs. I'm guessing I'm in the 63-65 lb range. Shoot whatever weight is comfortable for you and your shooting good groups. Plenty of excellent bucks have been taken in the 45-55 lb range. Being comfortable and confident is at the top of my list. I'm glad I'm not shooting 70 lbs.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:28 pm

Keep in mind when its colder and you've been sitting for a while the bow is going to be harder to draw...I wouldn't worry about a number, shoot at a poundage thats comfortable to draw
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:46 pm

I used to draw 70+lbs for all my bows. I started having a little shoulder problems. To the point it hurt every time I drew the bow.

I got rid of my 70 lb and bought a pse full throttle at 60lbs and hunted with that for about 5 years. But it still killed my shoulder everytime I drew.

I was told to try an elite bow. I did. It was awesome. The only bow that doesn't hurt my shoulder to draw. I ended up getting a 65lb bow. I wish I would have gotten a 70 again. Pulls so much easier than any bow I have shot.

My friend just bought a 70lb elite bow. He had been shooting a 60 for the last 15 years because of back and shoulder problems. He draws his elite no problem now.

Maybe give them a try.

Disclosure: I am not a rep. Just giving my honest opinion. In fact this may be the first time I have even mentioned what bow I shoot...lol

Best of luck
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:47 pm

I wouldn’t worry about it at all really. A 50lb. bow will take down any animal on this continent with a sharp broad head, proper arrow setup and good shot placement. There are guys out there elk hunting with 48lb. Longbows. I’ve seen plenty of posts about guys killing deer with 40-45lb recurves. A 50lb compound will send an arrow right on through a deer. Don’t sweat it man. Just go have fun.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Waddams

Unread postby Waddams » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:57 pm

I see 2 issues that are covered already but:

1 - you're fine 50 or 55 hunting wise.

2 - strength wise, if you want strength to comfortably go higher, hit the weights. Rows, bench press, overhead presses, deadlifts, squats - they'll all hit arm and back. 3 times a week, lift heavy, and eat a good diet. You'll be back up to higher pull weight in no time. You'll be able to drag that monster out easier when you get him too, and even be able to throw him in the back of truck without too much hassle.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:38 am

Consider doing some workouts with a dumbbell? Start light and work your way into it. Repetition will help you gain your strength.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:09 am

My opinion is shoot the heaviest bow u can comfortably pull. Be it 100lbs or 40lbs. A heavier bow shoots a heavier arrow faster. Has always baffled me why hunters who take part in both archery and gun season will tell a guy with a bow weight don’t matter then try to talk him into buying an elephant gun for rifle season.

Shoot a weight that is comfortable and your accurate.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:39 am

I pull a heavier weight has nothing to do with ego. It is not difficult for me to pull.
That being said, I very much agree with pulling what is comfortable to you. At the end of the day, a dead deer is a dead deer. Whether you pull 90# or 35#.
I’m sure there will be a day when I have to scale it back
The more you shoot, the easier it becomes to pull more weight
Ryan
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:40 am

I'm pulling 65 lbs. Have been for several years now.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”