water bin and scent question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hildebrand

water bin and scent question

Unread postby Hildebrand » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:02 am

Hi, So I put in a kiddie pool this spring close to bedding on the way out to a ag field. Right next to it I have a mock scrape and a cell cam. I did not plan it out well and my cam is only catching the edge of the pool so I cant see how the water level is. I do have deer hitting this pool on a regular and I do have a pretty nice buck coming mid day and hitting the mock and getting water. I really want to drive out there on my ranger and check the water and bring some with me and make sure its good. Would I be causing more than good here? I was thinking of not even getting out of my ranger and if I had to dump water climb to the back and tip the water in. Its been really hot this summer in Michigan and i want to make sure they keep hitting this water as we get closer to season. the water bin is about 50 yards from bedding and I have a stand set up 25 yards from the water and mock

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: water bin and scent question

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:06 am

I wouldn’t over think it. Make sure there’s plenty of water, that’s more important than anything else for now. Good luck!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:39 am

I suspect they would get used to it and adjust patterns. You still might be able to take advantage of it. Check out videos/stories about Dan’s bear bait buck.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:17 am

I would check it and top it off! Sounds like a good plan...also good suggestion to study dans bear bait buck
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:40 am

Thank you for the replies. I will check out that post and read it. It has rained off and on as of late but I just know if it dries up and the deer go to it empty they will not want to show up. I also did not want to push them out. It was my first go at this and next year I have a list of things I will change about it. Bigger actual water bin that wont dry up
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:50 am

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:08 pm

I watched the video, man that was awesome! I don't think that my situation will work this way. I really need and want to check it but I dont want to push the deer off. I have many different deer hitting it daily. The fawns are actually standing in it.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:39 am

I went and filled my kiddie pool up Friday and the next day I had deer back on it. I did not exit my ranger when doing it so I don't think I affected them at all
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:20 am

I have never tried putting out water. But I hammer them with salt in the summer. Have had a lot of trial and error through the years and did run a lot of deer off. The best thing I have found thus far is don’t try any kind of sneaky approach. Fill it up at the same time of day each trip I usually do around noon. Don’t Jack with it more than once every 10 days. Deer will come to except you as not a threat. Usually just step aside inside the cover and watch you. I get pics within 5 minutes of me leaving. I don’t worry about scent or rubber boots. I go el natural.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:33 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I have never tried putting out water. But I hammer them with salt in the summer. Have had a lot of trial and error through the years and did run a lot of deer off. The best thing I have found thus far is don’t try any kind of sneaky approach. Fill it up at the same time of day each trip I usually do around noon. Don’t Jack with it more than once every 10 days. Deer will come to except you as not a threat. Usually just step aside inside the cover and watch you. I get pics within 5 minutes of me leaving. I don’t worry about scent or rubber boots. I go el natural.

Good information. I did chase off a little button buck off my water hole and not soon after I left he was back. I just pulled up, filled it up and left.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:09 am

wanted to bring this back up. I was having great use of this water hole and mock scrape and all of a sudden its gone dead. Nothings changed on my end. I have not been back in over 10 days, have had rain and I had lots of pictures even after refilling. No bucks,no doe,no faws and I was seeing daily use. Ideas ? I get bucks are starting to get ready to move to fall ranges but it just went totally dead

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”