The hot food source - early August

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: The hot food source - early August

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:16 am

Solo secluded apple tree…. If you find the right one it can be EPIC

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:28 am

The deer were up in the farm yard 3 weeks ago, stripped the Lamb's Quarter weeds to nothing but stems. Browsed the leaves off the Acai bushes that we planted this spring. The white oaks are starting to drop acorns. The Red Rome apples are dropping. They have been biting the silk ends off the field corn ears. Haven't seen them out in the soybeans as much lately, but sure they are hitting them. They are in the hay field dawn and dusk as they leave/return to bedding. No shortage of food for them right now.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:43 am

Makes a lot of sense. I think in general its good and very useful to be aware of and in tune with what is being eaten by critters but agree it could turn into a goose chase if i were to start hunting for a certain food source instead of hunting for a buck.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:45 am

greenhorndave wrote:Jewelweed is like deer crack where I scouted yesterday.

Yep, and they don't have to leave safety to find that around here.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:59 am

Huntress13 wrote:

Yep, and they don't have to leave safety to find that around here.

Agreed
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:45 am

I have witch hazel in my backyard and they eat that like candy.
hounddog409
Facebook: Tod Simpkins

Unread postby hounddog409 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:34 pm

Food is the #1 priority for deer. Bottom line. It is their #1 basic instinct.

The problem is folks trying to guess what they prefer to eat at any specific time and hunting directly over a food source.

Deer eat 5 times a day. Those nice looking crops are usually hit after dark. The food they eat during the day is very near or in the general bedding areas.

To ignore deers #1 priority is foolish. Find the food, the beds are easy to find from there. Doe bedding will be those closest to the food. Buck beds will be further back than the doe beds.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:04 am

I’ve seen deer while watching them from afar through glass get up in cattail swamps and feed on pitcher plants then bed back down. There is also some sort of succulent looking grass type plant they hammer out there.

They never had to leave the security of the cattails in the early season when those plants are growing.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:18 am

Knowing the bed is great but also knowing which way he exits his bed to preferred food source helps when setting up tight to said bed .
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:41 am

I have to laugh now b/c back 15-20 years ago, still in high school I was scouting in probably August/Sept and I kept seeing this weed and it looked to be all chewed off on the tops. But the ENTIRE patch of this stuff was chewed off, not just some of it. And I remember thinking to myself there's no way this is all chewed off this much, so I figured well maybe it just grew that way, :lol:. Wasn't till years later I read that it was called Jewelweed and is a deer's candy. Now when I hear people talk about Jewel weed I laugh at myself for thinking the plant just grew into a stub at the end. :lol:

Sorry I just have to laugh at myself... others read this and think wow that guy's dumb :lol:
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:28 am

rfickes87 wrote:

I have to laugh now b/c back 15-20 years ago, still in high school I was scouting in probably August/Sept and I kept seeing this weed and it looked to be all chewed off on the tops. But the ENTIRE patch of this stuff was chewed off, not just some of it. And I remember thinking to myself there's no way this is all chewed off this much, so I figured well maybe it just grew that way, :lol:. Wasn't till years later I read that it was called Jewelweed and is a deer's candy. Now when I hear people talk about Jewel weed I laugh at myself for thinking the plant just grew into a stub at the end. :lol:

Sorry I just have to laugh at myself... others read this and think wow that guy's dumb :lol:

All part of learning man. :D I had to refresh my memory on what the leaves looked like because I don’t have a lot of it in my yard or anything and it doesn’t always have the little orange bell flowers. Some was nipped here and there most places, but one spot was just hammered.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”