Too Many Calm Wind Days

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stingray713
500 Club

Too Many Calm Wind Days

Unread postby Stingray713 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:35 pm

Anybody find bucks bedding more in spots they can see really well as opposed to smell because there isn’t enough wind for them to rely on?

I read and hear a lot about mature bucks getting up and shifting once day winds pick up or how they like a steady 8mph 12 mph as I know hunters prefer too.

But I feel like where I hunt in Virginia and maybe even more further SE that we just don’t have the wind that the Midwest has or the strong thermals you find in big hills.

I’ve found some big buck beds in some curious spots the past few seasons where it seemed to me they were relying on their eyes and ears more than their nose. And I couldn’t wind check em, cuz there wasn’t any :D

Strategically Inefficient
Deerkins

Re: Too Many Calm Wind Days

Unread postby Deerkins » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:04 pm

wind to back, is the ideal that bucks prefer, BUT it’s not a requirement. In the mountains especially, I find it’s often more of a visual advantage they use when traveling/bedding, as often they would have to travel quite a distance out of their way, or use the available terrain cover, in a less effective way to get their back to the predominant wind.
OldFarmBuck

Re: Too Many Calm Wind Days

Unread postby OldFarmBuck » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:57 pm

In my opinion and based on what I see in the areasI scout and hunt. Mature bucks would prefer to bed with a visual advantage over an nose advantage. Younger bucks will bed like does in cover or snugged up close to cover but once that buck reaches 4 1/2 years old and older they tend to bed where they have a great view of their surroundings. Now they’ll have cover close or at least a very quick escape route. They would prefer to bed against a backstop if at all possible.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”