Public over private

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

A-bach
Facebook: Alex Bachinski

Public over private

Unread postby A-bach » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:50 pm

Glad i found the beast to help me out with my situation. I own some private land in central Wisconsin and where i hunt there is a major White deer problem. There are as many if not more white deer in my area as brown deer. This is a known issue and the dnr does not let us hunt the white deer. When your goal is to hunt mature bucks you simply cant do it in my area because the mature bucks are all white because you cant ahoot them so they get old. This is why i started to seek public in surounding areas. The only problem is they are spreading like wildfire and if you cant harvest them eventually a guy is going to have to really travel to find a nice brown buck...

buttonbuck
500 Club

Re: Public over private

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:56 pm

A-bach wrote:Glad i found the beast to help me out with my situation. I own some private land in central Wisconsin and where i hunt there is a major White deer problem. There are as many if not more white deer in my area as brown deer. This is a known issue and the dnr does not let us hunt the white deer. When your goal is to hunt mature bucks you simply cant do it in my area because the mature bucks are all white because you cant ahoot them so they get old. This is why i started to seek public in surounding areas. The only problem is they are spreading like wildfire and if you cant harvest them eventually a guy is going to have to really travel to find a nice brown buck...

I thought white deer were rare, thats crazy
A-bach

Unread postby A-bach » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:59 pm

Yea they used to be but now its definitely a little ridiculous when i go out hunting all you see is white deer and its rare to see a brown one!
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:48 pm

Got any pics so we can see this. I always thought they were super rare.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:08 pm

This is a perfect example of regulations being written because of emotion not science. No scientific reason white deer should be protected.
A-bach

Unread postby A-bach » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:21 pm

I know it i got a lot of pics i will put on here tomorrow when i have time! But yea its kind of crap because when the whole neighborhood goes out opening weekend and sees nothing but white deer and cant shoot any of them then they stop hunting then the dnr wonders why theres not as many people hunting any more...cuz you cant shoot the deer.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:31 pm

Try and give the white deer cwd. Then the dnr will want them all killed immediately :lol:
A-bach

Unread postby A-bach » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:38 pm

Im not sure if that would even fly cuz i know some of the local farmers that have ag tags and they cant shoot them.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:38 pm

Are you serious, Why can’t you shoot white deer? Can you post the DNR regulation? White or albino comes from inbreeding and overpopulation they should want them killed like any other deer
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:07 pm

Say your color blind :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:23 pm

I have to chuckle at this post... I just made a video about the white deer herd in my area... I think your issue probably is not with the white deer as much as you think... Its with the over harvesting of the regular deer. White deer have to have both parents have a lesser common genetic trait and the offspring still have to get the DNA in the right order to become white... Your area certainly has the trait and cause they are protected, it comes up more often, and they live longer... I would suggest enjoying the encounters and protecting the brown deer till they are of size... In a small area about 5 miles from my home the deer were claimed to be about 30% white. Hunting them was opened up for a couple years, now its about 3%... By the way, its not the WDNR that regulates white deer being shot. Its politicians... Scott Walker was the one who allowed people in the CWD area to shoot them for a few years, and he is also the one that closed it when anti hunters flooded his mail box... Can I ask where this area is?
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:24 am

I am located in central wi too I believe I know the area your in I don’t hunt out there much but occasionally I will I did one time last and saw a white small doe. My friend has land out there and sees white deer regularly he saw a big mature white 8 pt. Twice last year no sightings of big old brown deer though!! It is very obvious that the old white buck is a completely different animal than an old brown buck due to no one ever sending a projectile at it.
Haste makes waste
A-bach

Unread postby A-bach » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:51 am

Heres a few pics..from my understanding there was a guy who had a deer farm with some white deer in it years and years ago and some of them got out some how and thats where this all kind of started. Portage county
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:46 am

8-)

Great pics
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:22 am

Wow, that’s a lot. As Dan said, there is a pocket of white ones not far from where he is; I think I saw three in the same day once, each about a mile apart.

I saw a slammer about 8 miles from me last year or the year before (not in the same area). Definitely a mature buck. I could only see some detail through 10x binos, but you could see the antler mass from way out.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”