Eastern Kentucky

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SwampApe

Eastern Kentucky

Unread postby SwampApe » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:28 am

Okay guys, so I’ve had the plan to buy some private land out of my state for some time now. I’ve noticed that eastern Kentucky is about as cheap as it gets. I started working a second job to save money in hopes that in the next 5 years I’ll be able to purchase a piece of private land, and I planned to do so in eastern Kentucky. I’ve been told that eastern Kentucky has its set of problems and that’s why the land is so affordable. I was also told that if I’m not from the area, and I purchase land there that any property I have there will be trashed. If I have a cabin there it would be broken into, and the land would be heavily poached. I’m wondering how true this is? Is the area as unwelcoming to outsiders as I’ve been told? I’m easy to get along with and stay to myself. Just looking for some inside information before I get my hopes up and work 100 hours a week to save to buy property there and find out that it’s not worth the headache. I appreciate all information that you guys could let me in on. Thank you all!

Wlog
500 Club

Re: Eastern Kentucky

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:06 am

I think any land you buy that isn’t your primary residence could have these issues. My buddy is having these problems at his place in WV. People took his gate off the day he and his partners settled and broke into their buildings.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Bperdue21

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:34 am

Number one the stuff is straight up and down. I live in the Alleghanies, but those hills look like an entirely different animal. Our mountains here are kind of long and might run several counties. I’d say Eastern KY is more like really steep broken mountains. Never hunted there but just what I have seen of it looks like really tough terrain.

Number two these are poor people money wise. Lots of drugs, a lot of meth. I dont know how many broken down trailers basically put in a road pull off I saw through there, but it was more than a few. There is nothing wrong with being poor, but it does bring its own set of problems when you are so many generations in to it. I live in a very rural part of Virginia, 4000 people in my county and 2500 people live in the entire county I hunt and know how country people live and act. This was a whole different level. Ever heard the song Copperhead Road? This is the kind of place it was written about. I only wish my area had the same view of people moving in.

The trespassing and breaking in and stuff, you have to understand the mindset also. They may have hunted the land all their life or whatever and then as the land gets passed down and sold and owners change, well your hunting gets taken away. When you have nothing to really lose why arent you going to keep doing what you are doing? Are they hurting someone they know? Not really. They may also want to sell your stuff so they can get more drugs.

I would imagine good jobs there are few and far between. You would probably be shocked at the median family incomes. We are talking less than $25k median for a family, several counties under $20k median. These are the poorest white people in the country.

All that being said, it was a beautiful place. If you look hard enough you can probably find something that would have some natural barriers to keeping people out. Probably would behoove you to go meet the neighbors before you buy anything. It is a culture of mountain people. These are gonna be some of the best nicest, give you the shirt off your back people you ever met in your life. On the flip side, it is the same culture of blood feuds and all that stuff too.

I really am probably coming off as an , but I have lived in Appalachia my entire life and would never live anywhere else. You better understand the issues and the culture of the people because it is distinct and it is going to be a really much more old school mentality than you are going to find anywhere else. I would imagine if you are coming in from the city or whatever and throwing money around or otherwise standing out, you would probably be making enemies and not knowing it. We also went and looked at lease property there and I did checkout properties for sale after I went there, so I personally thought it was a worthwhile place to hunt vs the risks.
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:40 am

Bperdue21 wrote:Number one the stuff is straight up and down. I live in the Alleghanies, but those hills look like an entirely different animal. Our mountains here are kind of long and might run several counties. I’d say Eastern KY is more like really steep broken mountains. Never hunted there but just what I have seen of it looks like really tough terrain.

Number two these are poor people money wise. Lots of drugs, a lot of meth. I dont know how many broken down trailers basically put in a road pull off I saw through there, but it was more than a few. There is nothing wrong with being poor, but it does bring its own set of problems when you are so many generations in to it. I live in a very rural part of Virginia, 4000 people in my county and 2500 people live in the entire county I hunt and know how country people live and act. This was a whole different level. Ever heard the song Copperhead Road? This is the kind of place it was written about. I only wish my area had the same view of people moving in.

The trespassing and breaking in and stuff, you have to understand the mindset also. They may have hunted the land all their life or whatever and then as the land gets passed down and sold and owners change, well your hunting gets taken away. When you have nothing to really lose why arent you going to keep doing what you are doing? Are they hurting someone they know? Not really. They may also want to sell your stuff so they can get more drugs.

I would imagine good jobs there are few and far between. You would probably be shocked at the median family incomes. We are talking less than $25k median for a family, several counties under $20k median. These are the poorest white people in the country.

All that being said, it was a beautiful place. If you look hard enough you can probably find something that would have some natural barriers to keeping people out. Probably would behoove you to go meet the neighbors before you buy anything. It is a culture of mountain people. These are gonna be some of the best nicest, give you the shirt off your back people you ever met in your life. On the flip side, it is the same culture of blood feuds and all that stuff too.

I really am probably coming off as an , but I have lived in Appalachia my entire life and would never live anywhere else. You better understand the issues and the culture of the people because it is distinct and it is going to be a really much more old school mentality than you are going to find anywhere else. I would imagine if you are coming in from the city or whatever and throwing money around or otherwise standing out, you would probably be making enemies and not knowing it. We also went and looked at lease property there and I did checkout properties for sale after I went there, so I personally thought it was a worthwhile place to hunt vs the risks.

Very very accurate info!
SwampApe

Unread postby SwampApe » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:53 am

Bperdue21 wrote:Number one the stuff is straight up and down. I live in the Alleghanies, but those hills look like an entirely different animal. Our mountains here are kind of long and might run several counties. I’d say Eastern KY is more like really steep broken mountains. Never hunted there but just what I have seen of it looks like really tough terrain.

Thank you! Meeting the neighbors before buying is a great idea! I do understand a lot of the culture and a lot of the history that the Appalachian area has. I am from Florida, but live in a small town in central Florida that is considered low income for the state. I am also thinking I may just buy a piece of land and pull a travel trailer up there and haul it home with me when I leave. I really just want a piece of land out in the middle of nowhere. I’m hoping if I can find that, then everybody would just leave the acreage alone that I purchased. I think I’ll visit the area next year and look for a town/area that I like. I will probably just bounce around the East side until I find an area that I think I’d be happy with. Thank you for the advice! I really do appreciate it!
SwampApe

Unread postby SwampApe » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:56 am

Wlog wrote:I think any land you buy that isn’t your primary residence could have these issues. My buddy is having these problems at his place in WV. People took his gate off the day he and his partners settled and broke into their buildings.

That is terrible, hopefully your buddy can get that issue resolved. I imagine anywhere has the same issues, I was just wondering how bad the issues actually are up there. I hope to find something decent in the future. Thank you for the information!
Bperdue21

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:08 am

If you vote republican, i would say check out bath county, alleghany county, or highland county VA. Land prices are reasonable and people will generally leave you alone. Also lots and lots and lots of national forest and state land. However we really don’t need any more liberals here lol.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:37 am

Whatever your political choices may be, same as above goes for Monroe, Greenbrier, Pocahontas, Pendleton WV. The only problems you may have with trespassing are mainly during bear hound hunting season.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:30 am

We bought in southeast Kentucky 2 years ago and love it here. We're from Michigan, and have been freely accepted by the locals. Most here are wonderful, kind, and generous.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
SwampApe

Unread postby SwampApe » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:02 am

Bperdue21 wrote:If you vote republican, i would say check out bath county, alleghany county, or highland county VA. Land prices are reasonable and people will generally leave you alone. Also lots and lots and lots of national forest and state land. However we really don’t need any more liberals here lol.

I’ve always voted Republican and always will. Thank you for the information!
SwampApe

Unread postby SwampApe » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:02 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:We bought in southeast Kentucky 2 years ago and love it here. We're from Michigan, and have been freely accepted by the locals. Most here are wonderful, kind, and generous.

That is great to hear! I am looking around Whitley county! Thank you very much for the information!
SwampApe

Unread postby SwampApe » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:04 am

brancher147 wrote:Whatever your political choices may be, same as above goes for Monroe, Greenbrier, Pocahontas, Pendleton WV. The only problems you may have with trespassing are mainly during bear hound hunting season.

Oh okay! That’s awesome! I understand the dog hunting, those dogs can’t read and the owners gotta go get their dogs! Thank you very much for the information! I’ll check out WV as well!
Kybowhunter

Unread postby Kybowhunter » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:55 pm

I live in Southeast Ky. If you make sure you meet the neighbors before buying they will watch your property better than you would. The hollers of eastern ky can be a little sketchy in places but if you buy in to the right place you will be happy with your purchase. There are tons of public land in eastern Ky as well and coal country can produce some great deer. I see you’re looking at land in Whitley County and oddly enough that happens to be where I live. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”