150 ft of snow fence - POLL

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Is it ethical to use a 150’ long, 6’ tall snow fence to funnel deer movement?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 53
Lockdown

150 ft of snow fence - POLL

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:17 pm

What are your thoughts? Is it ethical to use a 150 foot long 6’ tall snow fence to funnel deer movement? Keep in mind it could be placed 18” off the ground, meaning the deer would have to clear a 7.5’ tall fence if they were to jump it.

Tsom
500 Club

Re: 150 ft of snow fence - POLL

Unread postby Tsom » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:33 pm

Not saying I woul or wouldn't but I don't see how it's much different than dropping a few trees end for end to do the same thing. At what point does the length of your barrier or what it's made of make it ethical or unethical?
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:55 pm

Is someone purposely install the snow fence to funnel deer or is it already up and using it to their advantage?
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:34 pm

I wouldn’t do it but I hunt plenty of natural barriers like that. Some are good most are not.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:47 pm

Id say if it is legal in your state its up to you what you deem ethical. Me personally I wouldn't be up for that id find a natural pinch, bedding areas, ect.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:01 am

Is it the green snow fence or the orange kind? Just kidding, if it's 18" off the ground wouldn't they just go under it?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:19 am

Moose wrote:Is someone purposely install the snow fence to funnel deer or is it already up and using it to their advantage?

It’s in the middle of a wood lot specifically to funnel deer movement.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:22 am

BRoth82 wrote:Is it the green snow fence or the orange kind? Just kidding, if it's 18" off the ground wouldn't they just go under it?

Not saying they couldn’t, but most wont. Especially nice bucks.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:16 am

Illegal here to construct barriers like that for the purpose of taking game here where I hunt last I knew. Even if it was legal I wouldn't do it.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:26 am

Lockdown wrote:
Moose wrote:Is someone purposely install the snow fence to funnel deer or is it already up and using it to their advantage?

If that's the case then I wouldn't think it's ethical to build a fence just to funnel deer. Hinge cutting i think is ok because it gives cover and food for the deer.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:43 am

We drive to countless places and scout online for hours in search of a spot with the slam dunk features that create a honey hole.
It's still hunting and the wind and time of year play a big roll.
Just don't put a cell cam at each end..........stir, stir, stir.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:04 am

Ban snow fences
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:29 am

Full disclosure I didn’t vote because I’m not sure. I will say this…
I have permission on a piece of property where there is an old chain link fence 6’ high that runs most of the way down one side of the property through the woods. I didn’t put it there, I can’t take it down. There are places deer can go around it and places where big trees have fallen across and left gaps where the deer cross. This fence runs about 1/4 mile, maybe more. There are enough holes that I can’t cover them all but I know which ones are located in areas with the right features to make them a more likely crossing.

I don’t feel bad using it to my advantage. It’s not as if there is only one way to cross and they have to go that way. If you over hunt one crossing spot they will avoid it and go somewhere else. What about putting a scent doohickey in an open shooting lane to get them to stop there? Is that really any different?

I think this is probably one of those grey areas with endless variables.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:16 pm

Moose wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

If that's the case then I wouldn't think it's ethical to build a fence just to funnel deer. Hinge cutting i think is ok because it gives cover and food for the deer.

X2
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:31 pm

perception is key... I remember an article from long ago in North American whitetail of a person who shot back to back booners on a 40 acre parcel they had planted thorny Rose in a in dividing the property leaving a 20 yard gap in the middle... Always sounds easy to those of us looking in from the outside, but in reality, getting a mature buck to go thru it in daylight is still going to be a challenge and to be regularily successful one would need to be on an ecceptional property to begin with.... I have helped people set up simalar Systems when doing land consulations, to each their own... If its legal, why would I care what you do? I just worry about me... Would you not hunt the only opening in a Rock ledge where deer can get thru cause its unfair? or a land Bridge between to bodies of water? is ot more ethical cause you found it vs you made it? Personally. if this bothers you a lot, you probably view hunting as a competitive Sport and should re-evaluate why you hunt.... Me personally, I like to hunt deer, not spots. Figure out the puzzle pcs and hunt the deer down... to each their own, many ways to hunt, and different is not always bad... I seriously doubt that method is hurting anything nor is it unethical or cheating if within the law... But with that said, it really dont Match my way of hunting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”