150 ft of snow fence - POLL

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Is it ethical to use a 150’ long, 6’ tall snow fence to funnel deer movement?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 53
Dewey

Re: 150 ft of snow fence - POLL

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:54 am

Ethics is in the eye of the beholder. I always say if it doesn’t feel right and you have to question it then it probably isn’t right in your personal ethics. The original post was asking if we personally think putting up a fence is ethical. There really is no right or wrong answer to that post as it’s all based on personal thoughts. As long as people are following the rules and regulations making it perfectly legal I have no problem with what they do.

Just because we set self imposed limits on ourselves doesn’t mean we automatically hate on those who do it differently. The great thing about hunting is you can tailor it to whatever restrictions you want. There is no exact way to do things that fits everybody. Obviously there are some who get all uppity about things but I could careless about them and only worry about myself. The biggest problem these days is people ask for opinions on things but then get upset when it’s not what they wanna hear. Not talking about this thread in particular but just a general observation.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:20 pm

Dewey wrote:Ethics is in the eye of the beholder. I always say if it doesn’t feel right and you have to question it then it probably isn’t right in your personal ethics. The original post was asking if we personally think putting up a fence is ethical. There really is no right or wrong answer to that post as it’s all based on personal thoughts. As long as people are following the rules and regulations making it perfectly legal I have no problem with what they do.

Just because we set self imposed limits on ourselves doesn’t mean we automatically hate on those who do it differently. The great thing about hunting is you can tailor it to whatever restrictions you want. There is no exact way to do things that fits everybody. Obviously there are some who get all uppity about things but I could careless about them and only worry about myself. The biggest problem these days is people ask for opinions on things but then get upset when it’s not what they wanna hear. Not talking about this thread in particular but just a general observation.

Great answer , I agree! My Dad said something that stuck with me . I was complaining about something with church and my Dad told me when you go to church keep your eyes on the lord! I try to follow that I everything in life now. Keep my eyes focused on me and what I’m doing and not worry what others do!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:27 am

I certainly wasn’t pointing fingers by making this poll. I was just curious of peoples’ thoughts.

Personally I don’t care what other people do as long as its legal. If it’s not legal, it’s poaching. :whistle: As far as the fence goes, the fact that it’s impassible is what I view as not fair for the deer. There are VERY few things in nature that are truly impassible. Maybe some crazy drainage washouts in hill country. Or an eroded river bank. Other than those what is there? :think: they can swim through water. They can weasel through thickets or jump hinged trees. 99% of funnels are things that are inconvenient for them to go through so they go around. I have watched deer run up near vertical 20-30’ bluffs.

A 4’ or 5’ fence is totally different. They can jump that. 8’ fences are considered deer proof and will keep all deer out. So a 6’ snow fence 1’ off the ground gets you 7’....

Hinged trees are different because they can sneak through the canopy or jump the trunk if need be. If anyone thinks they can hinge cut trees or pile brush and effectively keep deer out for 150 consecutive feet I’d like to see it ;)

At the end of the day I’m not losing any sleep over dudes putting up snow fences. In my opinion I don’t feel a 7’ fence is an ethical move. It has nothing to do with me not wanting to see other people be successful. I just think people want success so bad they’d rather manufacture it than put the work in to figure them out. Or put the work in to find a spot with better odds. It is what it is! :D
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:36 am

tim wrote:
Dewey wrote:Ethics is in the eye of the beholder. I always say if it doesn’t feel right and you have to question it then it probably isn’t right in your personal ethics. The original post was asking if we personally think putting up a fence is ethical. There really is no right or wrong answer to that post as it’s all based on personal thoughts. As long as people are following the rules and regulations making it perfectly legal I have no problem with what they do.

Great answer , I agree! My Dad said something that stuck with me . I was complaining about something with church and my Dad told me when you go to church keep your eyes on the lord! I try to follow that I everything in life now. Keep my eyes focused on me and what I’m doing and not worry what others do!

totally agree.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”