Hill bench set up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SEOHBB

Hill bench set up

Unread postby SEOHBB » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:11 am

If you have a bench leading to a point, do you set up in the morning on the downwind side of the trail or above the trail and why? I have a really good bottleneck I'm looking at.

backstraps

Re: Hill bench set up

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:02 am

Hill benches leading to points can be tricky with thermals
I have better success utilizing the benches in the afternoon.
I like to setup when the bench is on the leeward side, and thermals falling.
I prefer to setup “upwind” and high enough my scent falls just beyond the trail I expect him to walk.
If possible, setting up just off wind to allow him to provide a shot opportunity before possibly catching my scent pool
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:04 am

During prerut, cruising periods, I like the narrowest part of the bench closest to the draw
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:38 pm

Sometimes these locations you need to sit back and do an observation hunt to figure out how the winds/thermals are working that bench/hill/point. I like to find a spot that sorta puts me in the game but is pretty bomb proof wind wise. Might take me 2 or 3 more hunts to move into the prime spot after seeing how different winds and thermals work the area.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:07 pm

What scale? Mountain bench or an old skidder road in the hills? Where is access from up top, down low or both? Does the bench lead to anything? Is there buck bedding or doe bedding on the point? What time of year?

To give a general answer… I would prefer to access and sit below the bench in the morning because if the buck comes by before daylight (assuming a buck is traveling this bench and bedding on the point) he shouldn’t bust you and you can then adjust for an afternoon hunt if necessary. If you climb high you can usually get away with hunting there all day without getting busted if it’s leeward.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:03 pm

For me it would depend on wind, thermals, terrain, topography, bedding, and time of season. But generally early morning I would setup below the trail with falling thermals and adjust as needed. Unless it’s a sunny slope and going to be a sunny day with thermals rising quickly and I think I can get away with it I will hunt above. Or if wind overrides thermals I may hunt above.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:57 pm

Usually I prefer to be above the trail, not because of wind direction , but because it’s easier to get out of their line of sight. I have noticed that the vast majority of bucks travel benches on the lower edges, just before they fall off into the bottoms.

Personally, I believe they do that as a vision thing, more than anything else..As they travel the edge, they can easily scan the bench, or below them for does or predators.

When hunting benches, due to thermals, deer are usually traveling crosswind to my setup. If set up high enough, scent should fall or be lifted above them, regardless of whether the trail is directly up or downwind.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:35 am

Good points made. I prefer coming in from top if theres crp or ag fields. Setting up above the bench with wind blowing above where I expecting the shot to be.

I have learned you dont want to leave your ground scent any farther than need be. Come in from bottom, then set up below ideally. Want to hunt above, come in from top.

Experience and visual confirmation of movement is key.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:30 am

A few variables for me. Is there any rubs? Does the side of the tree rubbed which also matches terrain show morning or evening movement? Have seen many a buck bed right on a point and walk right off the tip of it in the evening. Typically I see the bigger bucks following the elevation. Usually low-high morning and high-low evening. This would be easily identified by which side of the trees are rubbed (if any.)

I usually do what Backstraps indicated with the only exception being private I have sole access to. In that case I will find a spot along the bench which allows my wind to blow where I believe no deer will go. Then use some redneck engineering to tighten the spot down to a 20 yard shot.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”