For those of you that hunt from the ground…

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CTBuckHunterMH

For those of you that hunt from the ground…

Unread postby CTBuckHunterMH » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:23 am

What type of footwear do you use? I’ve been using neoprene muck boots for the past 5 years to be able to walk through water and still keep my feet dry and warm. But I cannot stay stealthy in them to save my life. My feet will slide within the boot, knocking me off balance in uneven terrain. I can’t feel the ground with them so I often snap branches pretty frequently. What do you guys use to keep quiet, stable, dry and warm?

Tsom
500 Club

Re: For those of you that hunt from the ground…

Unread postby Tsom » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:31 am

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/irish-s ... lsrc=3p.ds
I much prefer these in over mucks they are more form fitting and my heels don't move around in them like they do in mucks and they're more flexible. I got the uninsulated ones. I use them still hunting and tracking though so feet stay warm.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:53 am

I prefer a foot holding rubber boot. LaCrosse or whatever brands they have. Last pair I had the soles fell off. Glued em back on, the soles fell off again. One more time...

I ended up with the Cabelas version of the Muck boots. I don't think they hold my scent in as well as the rubber boots. Got em on sale with a $25 gift card on top of that...

The whole thing about trying to sneak up on a buck - you gotta go slow.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:25 am

I use Dryshod boots for river bottoms/marsh terrain etc. Really no way to be totally stealthy in this terrain, so I don't still hunt these areas- I get where I need to go and stay put.
High ground Im using more of a hiking boot. I have a North Face pair that are pretty good for anytime of year and my feet stay really warm in them.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:50 am

I find hiking shoes to be very comfortable on high ground
OspreyZB

Unread postby OspreyZB » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:42 am

Uninsulated knee high pac boots with tire tread soles. Way more comfortable to walk in than rubber boots, and you can lace up them tight so when you go in water over your boots, they won't immediately fill with water. I have the Schnee's guides.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:07 am

On the Muck boots, go to walmart and buy some gel insoles. That will make them fit a bit more snug and your feet won't slide. I do that with mine. Works great.

I don't wear the muck boots deer hunting. they're not as comfortable and it's hard to be sneaky in them. I just wear my Danner lace up boots. They keep me warm and I go around water, not through it.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:54 pm

Southern Man wrote:On the Muck boots, go to walmart and buy some gel insoles. That will make them fit a bit more snug and your feet won't slide. I do that with mine. Works great.

I don't wear the muck boots deer hunting. they're not as comfortable and it's hard to be sneaky in them. I just wear my Danner lace up boots. They keep me warm and I go around water, not through it.

Hey Southern Man, hope all is well.

I ground hunt a bit. I don't find the boot is the key to it. I do it with whatever boot. I ran mucks 10+ years ago, the arch support just sucked. Went to a tall Tidewe a couple years back. They have higher arches. But I like a waterproof goretex or whatever membrane 10" hiking boot. Got some Kennetreks last year they are a comfortable boot but heavy soul, not like wearing moccasins and don't have a real good feel on sticks and twigs. I generally don't go real deep in the water, just kinda crawling through the thick crap. You just have to go slow.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:38 pm

I use muck or the tidewe rubber boots a lot when I know I’m not going great distances and may be in some water. But anytime I’m still hunting or just covering ground, like turkey hunting or scouting, my go to is always my Danners. They’re a tough boot to beat when it comes to lace ups
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:42 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:
Southern Man wrote:On the Muck boots, go to walmart and buy some gel insoles. That will make them fit a bit more snug and your feet won't slide. I do that with mine. Works great.

I ground hunt a bit. I don't find the boot is the key to it. I do it with whatever boot. I ran mucks 10+ years ago, the arch support just sucked. Went to a tall Tidewe a couple years back. They have higher arches. But I like a waterproof goretex or whatever membrane 10" hiking boot. Got some Kennetreks last year they are a comfortable boot but heavy soul, not like wearing moccasins and don't have a real good feel on sticks and twigs. I generally don't go real deep in the water, just kinda crawling through the thick crap. You just have to go slow.

When it comes to slipping in the back door I would listen to Lou.

If u wanna run around on your wife that’s your business. If she wants to run around on you then that’s her business. If you wanna keep it quiet well that’s Lou’s business. Shop him one or shop him two. Either way call Uncle Lou :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:08 am

Uncle Lou wrote:

Yea Lou all is well, hope the same for you.

I have issues with arch support too. That's the main reason I don't wear the muck boots much. I have arch supports in all the boots / shoes I wear. It actually makes the boots more comfortable. I have the same problem with my waders. I use supports in them too.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:07 am

Matt Gill wrote:I use muck or the tidewe rubber boots a lot when I know I’m not going great distances and may be in some water. But anytime I’m still hunting or just covering ground, like turkey hunting or scouting, my go to is always my Danners. They’re a tough boot to beat when it comes to lace ups

Pretty much this, although I use Keen hiking boots for the dry stuff. So much more nimble in the hills. The TideWes fit on the snug side, which makes them better than most.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:47 am

Southern Man wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:

Yea Lou all is well, hope the same for you.

I have issues with arch support too. That's the main reason I don't wear the muck boots much. I have arch supports in all the boots / shoes I wear. It actually makes the boots more comfortable. I have the same problem with my waders. I use supports in them too.

I put my foot in those Kennetreks last year and never had a boot feel so good, may wanna try those. I got some gaiters for them if I get a little deeper, but haven't used them yet. Again I found the tidewes way better arch than mucks, or you could do supports in them. I have supports in most boots and shoes I wear except the tidwes, and kennetreks.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
CTBuckHunterMH

Unread postby CTBuckHunterMH » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:16 pm

Great advice guys, thank you. I’m gonna hang onto the muck boots, I still think they’ll come in handy for me in some situations. But I’m going to take a look at some of the lighter weight hiking boots for the long walks into public
TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:52 pm

I got rid of the rubber boot and accepted wet feet at times last season. I have to say 2020 was the first time I can say my feet had been warmest. I ran a pair of Merrells MOAB 2 in coyote tan. Killed 3 deer off the ground with a bow last season 8, 16, 12 yds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”