Hunting points in hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

3531usmc

Hunting points in hill country

Unread postby 3531usmc » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:27 pm

If you have multiple points one after the other with bedding on each point. How far back or close from the points will you hunt?

backstraps

Re: Hunting points in hill country

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:18 am

For me it would depend if each point was identical... both is shape length and provides the same cover-food etc

If the points are somewhat longer id push as close to the bed as possible where id suspect he may make it to me before dark

If the points are short enough that the buck may make it to the draw before dark, then I like those setups better

Having intel on how he is exiting the beds helps tremendously too
If you suspect he is dropping off into the valley below, then that changes the plan entirely
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:10 am

I'll add too that it may depend on the time of year you hunt. early season I would get in as close to those beds on one particular point as I could. And I like what Backstraps said for early/mid October too. In rut anything can happen as this past season in mid Nov... I was hunting down in a draw between two points where bucks often crossed between point bedding and I saw a nice shooter at the top of the draw up along on the main ridge where the two points began. It was much easier traveling for him up there. I had considered hunting up there because I saw a couple new small scrapes open up but I was too fixed on hunting down low on the bedding elevation :roll: . Missed my chance. Its a chess game for sure!
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
3531usmc

Unread postby 3531usmc » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:53 am

Good information thanks. I actually kicked up a few bucks off the points scouting. I was surprised how close I got before they took off!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”