Deer Hunter Podcast Rompola Buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: Deer Hunter Podcast Rompola Buck

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:23 am

Most of me believes Mitch. The other part of me can’t understand how he finds that many mega giants. Heck I just started that thread stating the hardest part (for me) of killing a big buck is finding one.

I think that’s what makes it so hard to believe. He was accomplishing all of this without any technology too. No google earth. No trail cams. Despite that I think it’s legit.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:31 am

Lockdown wrote:Most of me believes Mitch. The other part of me can’t understand how he finds that many mega giants. Heck I just started that thread stating the hardest part (for me) of killing a big buck is finding one.

I think that’s what makes it so hard to believe. He was accomplishing all of this without any technology too. No google earth. No trail cams. Despite that I think it’s legit.

I guess I just hope it’s real and is proven to be someday so people can see there are folks out there that can turn there back to fame .the guy started out willing to talk about it but had no problem shutting down when the accusations started. The funny part is wether it’s real or fake he will never be forgotten and holds his place in the history books whatever it may be lol.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:01 am

tim wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Most of me believes Mitch. The other part of me can’t understand how he finds that many mega giants. Heck I just started that thread stating the hardest part (for me) of killing a big buck is finding one.

I guess I just hope it’s real and is proven to be someday so people can see there are folks out there that can turn there back to fame .the guy started out willing to talk about it but had no problem shutting down when the accusations started. The funny part is wether it’s real or fake he will never be forgotten and holds his place in the history books whatever it may be lol.

The Jordan buck wasn’t officially recognized as the World Record until 54 years after it was killed. (1914-1978) Still think it’s much more impressive than the Hanson buck.

I suspect someday when Mitch is gone and somebody else gets their hands on that rack the truth will be revealed and it will still get it’s credit if real.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:01 pm

That’s the thing, I don’t know exactly where he shot it, but from what I gather its not exactly known for huge bucks. He didn’t just kill one he’s shot several monsters. Even if he was the best hunter ever, he’s not going to be the only one to shoot studs around there. If big bucks grow in that area other people are going to shoot some of them one way or another. Genetics just don’t allow that many one offs. Maybe i’m wrong and some other real big deer have been shot? Or maybe he is just that good and it’s a perfect storm situation there.

I want to believe it so bad it’s just a very weird situation all the way around.

It would be awesome if we could get him on the beast. He definitely seems to be a wealth of bug buck knowledge and I know he would be welcome here.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:17 pm

JakeB wrote:

That’s the thing, I don’t know exactly where he shot it, but from what I gather its not exactly known for huge bucks. He didn’t just kill one he’s shot several monsters. Even if he was the best hunter ever, he’s not going to be the only one to shoot studs around there. If big bucks grow in that area other people are going to shoot some of them one way or another. Genetics just don’t allow that many one offs. Maybe i’m wrong and some other real big deer have been shot? Or maybe he is just that good and it’s a perfect storm situation there.

I want to believe it so bad it’s just a very weird situation all the way around.

It would be awesome if we could get him on the beast. He definitely seems to be a wealth of bug buck knowledge and I know he would be welcome here.

A lot of people have brought up the fact a place that’s not known for big bucks. I hunt such a county and out of nowhere someone shot a buck that pushed the boundary of world record status just under the Jordan buck here in wisconsin . And as a matter of fact in a 1 mile radius of where I hunt I can think of 4 gross bones that have been killed just that I know of and I’ve gotten pics of others but none of those bucks were put in the books . That’s the key to some of the best spots—the deer aren’t entered into the books.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:13 am

tim wrote:
JakeB wrote:

A lot of people have brought up the fact a place that’s not known for big bucks. I hunt such a county and out of nowhere someone shot a buck that pushed the boundary of world record status just under the Jordan buck here in wisconsin . And as a matter of fact in a 1 mile radius of where I hunt I can think of 4 gross bones that have been killed just that I know of and I’ve gotten pics of others but none of those bucks were put in the books . That’s the key to some of the best spots—the deer aren’t entered into the books.

Yeah we don't have big bucks here, yet every so often someone kills a 180 or 200. So it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities there could be a near world record hiding somewhere.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:24 am

I stumbled across the Rompola buck stuff a couple of years ago and found it fascinating too for some reason. I guess the mystery surrounding the whole thing makes it intriguing. There was a video of the blood tracking and retrieving I watched somewhere. I seem to remember people making a big deal about the ears being droopy but I think I’ve seen that happen myself on some deer and I promise you I’ve never shot or even seen anything approaching world record status.

Hard to say for sure if it’s a bunch of garbage or the real deal. Hopefully we’ll find out for sure one day soon.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:30 am

I hope it’s real, it is certainly interesting.

Maybe we don’t understand his actions because he’s a completely different class of hunter?

Maybe we don’t understand his actions because he’s a nut job who made a fake rack?

Either way, I’d love to talk to the guy about the deer. :lol:
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:37 am

While I believe Mitch is probably a very good deer hunter, I’ve came to the belief that he swapped real skull caps out, with manufactured ones. He has a background in taxidermy and doing something like that would be a pretty easy task.

I’d prefer to believe they’re legit, after looking at the situation as a whole, with all the irregularities, to me it seems it was a hoax.
roosterstraw

Unread postby roosterstraw » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 am

Even if he swapped skull plates or widened the skull plates and bonded it back together that would only increase the spread by a couple inches, right? The deer he kills are still massive. I’m not saying it’s right or he did or didn’t do it, or that it should still count but why go through all that trouble for just a couple inches?
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:46 am

The rack would be created with bondo, fabricated to a real skull plate, then airbrushed. Once a deer is taken, or acquired, make a Y incision, remove the real skull plate, swap them out, attach, then sow back up.

The y incision explains, the droopy ears/blood in the ears. Droopy ears do not mean fake rack, but the reoccurrences of the same irregularities. .there used to be a website “Rompola bucks” or something like that. In a bunch of the pics, the deer just didn’t look right to me.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:05 am

Deerkins wrote:The rack would be created with bondo, fabricated to a real skull plate, then airbrushed. Once a deer is taken, or acquired, make a Y incision, remove the real skull plate, swap them out, attach, then sow back up.

The y incision explains, the droopy ears/blood in the ears. Droopy ears do not mean fake rack, but the reoccurrences of the same irregularities. .there used to be a website “Rompola bucks” or something like that. In a bunch of the pics, the deer just didn’t look right to me.

This was done by Marc Anthony, at least similar. He was buying racks from collectors then swaping skull plates. The issue I have with claiming Mitch did this is he has recovery video and people claim to put hands on the buck. Swapping skull plates for pics can be done, swapping skull plates and connecting them in a way to allow people to handle the rack while attached to the deer seems impossible.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:09 am

purebowhunting wrote:One thing I think of with Mitch that's different from most of us is he already shot 4 state records and none of those required him to prove they were legit harvests then he shoots the WR and all breaks loose. It should be upon the accusers to prove its fake with evidence not the other way around, that goes for all these stories where jealousy from other hunters creeps in and accusations are made. Joe Franz comes to mind, poor guy kills a buck of a lifetime he should be on cloud nine then his world comes crashing down while he has to prove it wasn't shot over bait. I think we'll find out Mitch shot the WR typical, unfortunately not until after he passes away.

Excellent point! The burden doesn't shift to the hunter to prove legitimacy when someone challenges the authenticity of their kill. The accuser bears the burden of their allegations. Glad you pointed that out! The question is what evidence is there to show that Mitch didn't kill the buck? Is it circumstantial evidence or direct evidence? First hand or second hand information? How compelling is their evidence? And what interest do those making accusations have, and their credibility for making those accusations?
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:05 am

Dewey wrote:
tim wrote:

The Jordan buck wasn’t officially recognized as the World Record until 54 years after it was killed. (1914-1978) Still think it’s much more impressive than the Hanson buck.

I suspect someday when Mitch is gone and somebody else gets their hands on that rack the truth will be revealed and it will still get it’s credit if real.

Mitch’s son, Kevin, has posted on bowsite on this topic. As recently as 2018 or so.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:39 am

Maverick1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
tim wrote:

Mitch’s son, Kevin, has posted on bowsite on this topic. As recently as 2018 or so.

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/ ... 54&forum=4

here is that thread.

I think its real, only thing that has me wondering i show teh rack just seems to come out the sides of the skull and does not go up a couple inches then spread out.
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”