Who had their ducks in a row?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Who had their ducks in a row?

Unread postby Jonny » Wed May 19, 2021 3:44 pm

I think I have a good chance to be eating venison again this time next year

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Wed May 19, 2021 10:24 pm

I have a lot of spots lined up, don’t think any of them hold anything huge but I get 5 doe tags and only 2 buck tags. Found a few really good areas though. This will be my first full season Beast style so I’ll have to see if what I learned scouting pans out or if I just waisted time.
Trail

Unread postby Trail » Thu May 20, 2021 2:20 am

I have a few spots picked out that I hope will produce some bucks. College has taken a ton of time out of my spring scouting but I hope I get out this summer and find some beds as well as glass a few bucks.
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Thu May 20, 2021 2:26 am

First year hunting public so feel free to give me some tips. I have a few spots picked out that dont have killer sign but Im excited to come back in early fall and scout one more time to see how the deer sign is as well as shining the near by ag fields. I have some spots that I picked out for potential hunts but like I said not a ton of sign, but moreso it makes sense in my head that a buck would be there with some sign from the previous season also in the area.

As for the private I hunt, last year but a really bad year for bucks. Just didnt have any. Ive made a ton of changes the past two season so Im excited to see whats moved in and where this summer and Ill be able to pick out the killer spots then.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Thu May 20, 2021 2:39 am

HuntingParadise wrote:First year hunting public so feel free to give me some tips. I have a few spots picked out that dont have killer sign but Im excited to come back in early fall and scout one more time to see how the deer sign is as well as shining the near by ag fields. I have some spots that I picked out for potential hunts but like I said not a ton of sign, but moreso it makes sense in my head that a buck would be there with some sign from the previous season also in the area.

As for the private I hunt, last year but a really bad year for bucks. Just didnt have any. Ive made a ton of changes the past two season so Im excited to see whats moved in and where this summer and Ill be able to pick out the killer spots then.

Get used to full parking lots!!!!
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu May 20, 2021 4:28 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Brokenarrow1980 wrote:Well the deer has to be somewhere lol. Im very good at finding where they are not at.

I got that nailed too

:lol:

I have a quote written on a sticky note here at my desk by Nathan Killen "finding nothing is just as important as finding something"
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu May 20, 2021 4:46 am

rfickes87 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Brokenarrow1980 wrote:Well the deer has to be somewhere lol. Im very good at finding where they are not at.

I got that nailed too

:lol:

I have a quote written on a sticky note here at my desk by Nathan Killen "finding nothing is just as important as finding something"

That’s very true now that I think about it. It isn’t fun, but it does help narrow the focus.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Thu May 20, 2021 5:38 am

Only difference is this year I won't dwell in these areas hoping for a buck. Im gonna go find one!!!
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu May 20, 2021 7:32 am

I had about 7 spots picked out and scouted 5 of them before green-up. A couple of those spots had little to no intriguing sign so I crossed them off. Two of those spots I’m super pumped about! I also scouted new pieces to properties I’ve hunted but with much more knowledge and attention this time. I learned that one spot is early season and the rest are pre- and rut. I started another kill plot on private I have permission to hunt, and fine tuning my current kill plot.
I’m pumped for this fall and cannot wait to run my cameras and plant the plots in mid to late summer!
Jsmitty3

Unread postby Jsmitty3 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:30 pm

Have some very good but spots ready to rock im fortunate to have lots of private access and some really overlooked public now it’s a matter of narrowing down target deer and finding chinks in their armour in there movements from bedding which is not easy but very fun to think about having multiple years on 8 of my 11 private chunks really helps to predict future movements if you keep notes and pictures but slam dunk is always a tough one for me I find plenty of new ways to screw up each year but I know I’ll be in the game with some big white tails come fall good luck to everyone
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Fri May 21, 2021 11:45 pm

I don't believe there are slam dunk spots on public for mature bucks. However, there are locations if approached correctly will produce an opportunity. The key is figuring out how, when, where, what and why. How do I approach the location, when is the best time during the season, what conditions are most favorable, for the buck and me to be in that exact location (where) and why would the buck be there and coming my way.

Personally, I haven't put all this together but along the way, over many years, I've created a lot of intel. I only started zeroing in on buck and doe bedding about five years ago. Finding "good" buck bedding hasn't been a problem. Finding "killer" buck bedding and knowing when to hunt which of the bedding has been the issue. But here's something else I've also come to realize about my scouting in big woods settings. Traditional, historical big buck sign means something. Knowing when, the timing to be there has been the problem for me.

Moving forward, my plan is to "hit and run" by monitoring identified locations where historical big buck sign shows itself. It all starts with finding large tracks. Once I find large tracks in close proximity to the identified bedding and historical rubs/scrapes, I'm moving in on that location. So long as the big sign keeps popping up, I'll keep hunting that location. The objective is to have more than one active location at a time and rotate between them or kill a buck on the first sit.

That's the ducks in a row plan for me. We'll see what happens.
Shoot Straight
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri May 21, 2021 11:53 pm

No slam dunks. I got a couple that I am stoked about from my late season scouting and a few that are historical hotspots I’ll check
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”