Where would you hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Where would you hunt?

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:18 am

Moose wrote:How do mark on the maps?

I take a screen shot, doodle and upload to postimage.org

rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:22 am

dan wrote:
isitseasonyet? wrote:
dan wrote:Really hard to see detail... zooming in would help. but, I would expect the best spots to be in the lowest elevations on this property. Especially with any pressure. I like the S/W corner...

Is there a reason for lowest elevation in this spot other than pressure? Thanks!

anything flat or rolling, most of the great bedding I find is at the lowest elevations

Is there a point when you start viewing “hill country” as rolling hills and focus on lower terrian? Seems like I have to stop around a lot to find bedding in drainage cuts and if it’s thick it seems pressure is the true deciding factor?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:56 am

I would check out the terrain changes and areas along edges. I like the south,western side of the map the most.
Screenshot_20210413-165448_Painter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:35 am

<DK> wrote:
Moose wrote:How do mark on the maps?

I take a screen shot, doodle and upload to postimage.org

I will have to try that. Thank you
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:29 am

rhagenw wrote:
dan wrote:
isitseasonyet? wrote:
dan wrote:Really hard to see detail... zooming in would help. but, I would expect the best spots to be in the lowest elevations on this property. Especially with any pressure. I like the S/W corner...

Is there a reason for lowest elevation in this spot other than pressure? Thanks!

anything flat or rolling, most of the great bedding I find is at the lowest elevations

Is there a point when you start viewing “hill country” as rolling hills and focus on lower terrian? Seems like I have to stop around a lot to find bedding in drainage cuts and if it’s thick it seems pressure is the true deciding factor?

Its hard to describe, and to be sure you have to scout... If its steep hills and lowland, they will bed both, add a lot of pressure and they are usually low. more rolling, more low, nut I have seen good hill bedding in moderate hills bear good low land, so walking it is best...
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:52 am

dan wrote:
rhagenw wrote:
dan wrote:
isitseasonyet? wrote:

Its hard to describe, and to be sure you have to scout... If its steep hills and lowland, they will bed both, add a lot of pressure and they are usually low. more rolling, more low, nut I have seen good hill bedding in moderate hills bear good low land, so walking it is best...

Thanks for the confirmation! The map of this post is some what similar to what I see how it’s essentially multiple drainage cuts but less steep...takes a lot of time to make sure no rocks are left unturned
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:51 pm

I'm going to let this soak some more. Then we will start talking about it. I do better walking around and telling why I do this and that. But, I will do my best to explain here. Just ask questions and I will ramble about why I do what I do. That should help me. I have spent 30 years hunting this area. Have seen lot of changes over years. Have taken many decent bucks over those years. Took about 5 years for me to really get comfortable with history and figure what happens. Many times history repeats itself making a little easier. This is a lease that I hunt with 20 other hunters. Other camps all way around us.

I don't feel natural just speaking out. But, guess after 30 years. Hope I can pass a little on.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:23 pm

Without scouting and going in for a hunt, I'd scout my way in along the river bottom and look for pinches of terrain, habitat or both. I like the oxbow and ridge point pinch in the south. Also like the transition along the river in SW part of map. Find way to access using the river.
Shoot Straight
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:53 pm

Over years this is how I have divided area up. My most successful areas have been A and D.
Deer camp map.jpg

Blue is water
Silver is dirt roads or atv trails.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:45 pm

Is the river a property border? Based on the map broken into sections, I would choose these locations. Three along the river, two associated with the stream bottoms. One where the ridge, hollow and what looks like a small peninsula of water come together (Southeastern spot). The last spot I picked was area along ridge top (circle in purple) where ridges and hollows come together and there appears to be a good amount of habitat transition. Figure out how their using the transition lines to cross from one hollow to the next, around tops of hollows etc.. My two cents anyway but my first approach would be hunt/scouting right along the river and figuring out how to access from the river.

Thanks for sharing the map and I look forward to more detailed information.

Deer camp map_LI.jpg
Shoot Straight
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:03 pm

The places marked in orange are my most productive spots. The SW corner interesting enough like most people have said is where I hunted most for first 5 years. I did have some success in area I circled in area labeled A. It is a area that is about two feet in elevation higher than surrounding area. On that higher elevation area some Oak trees that are probably 6 feet in dia. that runs length of that area. This higher elevation area is about 50'x200 yards long. I am a firm believer that a topo is good for a start. But boots on ground in an area is better. Best time that I have hunt that area late Oct. to early Nov. There are two tower stands that are on each end of that area where you can see long distance. Around one set of Oak trees there are a lot of under growth to get in and hide. Bucks will work that area and lay in there so they can see a good distance. If sign is there I am there which is normally on a North wind with falling temps. After pressure gets on which doesn't take long everything changes. This place is hit hard with gun hunters and hogs starting 2nd week of November. Which only leaves about two weeks.

Deer camp spots.jpg
dusters

Unread postby dusters » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:32 pm

Here's my thoughts...
Deer Camp_LI.jpg
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:12 am

dusters wrote:Here's my thoughts...Deer Camp_LI.jpg

You are close on several spots. You are within couple hundred yards. Boots on ground make a big difference.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”