Seeking to understand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

4 the chase

Seeking to understand

Unread postby 4 the chase » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:29 pm

While spring scouting I came across some bedding I’m trying to unravel. It’s in SW Wisconsin (hill country. Steep wooded hillsides with CRP on top.) The bedding is near the top of a draw and about 20 yards inside the woods from the field edge. The hill drops by about 30 ft in elevation to the bottom of the draw which then continues to drop another 150 ft or so to the bottom of a larger valley. Based on the rubs it looks like buck bedding. The beds are on top of small humps. It appears that these humps would allow the deer to take advantage of thermals rising up from the draw, which is on the west side of the beds. The humps also allow visibility to the CRP. What I’m wondering is if I should hunt this like a traditional hill country bed and expect bedding activity with an east wind or is it more likely that bedding is occurring with a west wind so the wind is at his back and he can watch the CRP to the east? I’m probably not providing enough info but I’m curious about thoughts from the group.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Seeking to understand

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:57 pm

4 the chase wrote:While spring scouting I came across some bedding I’m trying to unravel. It’s in SW Wisconsin (hill country. Steep wooded hillsides with CRP on top.) The bedding is near the top of a draw and about 20 yards inside the woods from the field edge. The hill drops by about 30 ft in elevation to the bottom of the draw which then continues to drop another 150 ft or so to the bottom of a larger valley. Based on the rubs it looks like buck bedding. The beds are on top of small humps. It appears that these humps would allow the deer to take advantage of thermals rising up from the draw, which is on the west side of the beds. The humps also allow visibility to the CRP. What I’m wondering is if I should hunt this like a traditional hill country bed and expect bedding activity with an east wind or is it more likely that bedding is occurring with a west wind so the wind is at his back and he can watch the CRP to the east? I’m probably not providing enough info but I’m curious about thoughts from the group.

look at the beds close... determine if they are looking down hill, or at the crp, or both. The Look down wind when bedded. It is possible they do both depending on wind direction
4 the chase

Unread postby 4 the chase » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:22 pm

Thanks Dan!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:49 am

Sounds like potential multi-wind bedding, he might have a few different spots in this small area based on wind too. Seems like all my best spots the deer will have a lot of options for different winds, can take some time to figure out and I am still learning big time. Got a topo we can look at?
4 the chase

Unread postby 4 the chase » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:19 pm

6DDDE9FB-F397-4FC3-9C7E-4B542AD7CBBE.png

The particular bedding is above the blue treestand icon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”