Does Anybody Find Buck Beds Without Transition?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Does Anybody Find Buck Beds Without Transition?

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:25 pm

I was out scouting on Saturday and came across some buck beds which I really feel good about. Rubs were waist high at center in the muck and I found 7 of them within 30 yds of each other. Rubs were coming out of one bed in particular on 2 separate trails that were made last fall.

What I am confused about was that there wasn’t any true transition. The vegetation literally did not change whatsoever in this particular area. These beds were located next to trees within an abundance of trees in marsh grass and cattails.

I guess the only transition needed is the ever so slight change in elevation, just enough room to bed which makes everything 100 times more confusing. Can’t check every tree!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Re: Does Anybody Find Buck Beds Without Transition?

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:56 pm

Remember to look for those slight changes in elevation next time you’re in a similar situation. See if it holds a buck then too.

There is always some reason for a buck to bed in an area.

Does that elevation give him an advantage in some way?
naternate

Unread postby naternate » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:02 pm

I wonder the same thing. Very different scenario but I ran across a bed scouting this spring that had no associated transition. Was cutting across flat, semi open timber when I found a worn to the dirt bed with some rubs on a small hill. And by small hill it was maybe 5-6 feet above the surrounding terrain and about 10yrds in diameter. There were a few cedars with the bed under one of them. Sitting in the bed the buck (assuming) would be able to bed there on any wind and see a couple hundred yards in each direction. It is situated between a white oak stand and a funnel toward a doe bedding ridge so maybe a rut bed but there was quite a bit of hair that makes me think it is used regular. Definitely has me stumped
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:07 pm

The only thing similar I have found so far would be a big lone bed out in the middle of the cattails. No trees around, no transitions, just a big bed smack dab in the middle of the cattails where there is a slight change in elevation so that its on a dryer spot. I figured maybe a pressure bed or something, not sure.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:10 pm

Bucks will bed where they feel secure. There is no rule saying that has to be along a transition. If a buck is bedding there on a regular basis there’s a reason why. Your job is to find that answer and then apply it to similar situations in the future.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:57 pm

I would say you describe a transition... a slight elevation change, and I would say if you look close you will see a slight change in Vegetation at that new elevation. It only takes a foot or so... I have often said, tje lowest elevation (just above water) is the 1st place you look... 2nd is the highest elevation, just below tje top...
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:49 am

Bucks will bed where they bed. No rule is 100%
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:50 pm

Dewey wrote:Bucks will bed where they feel secure. There is no rule saying that has to be along a transition. If a buck is bedding there on a regular basis there’s a reason why. Your job is to find that answer and then apply it to similar situations in the future.

Yeah, this. Maybe he beds on the primary transition when pressure is low, but moves out to that spot when pressure is high?
UncleBuck3268
500 Club

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:52 pm

dan wrote:I would say you describe a transition... a slight elevation change, and I would say if you look close you will see a slight change in Vegetation at that new elevation. It only takes a foot or so... I have often said, tje lowest elevation (just above water) is the 1st place you look... 2nd is the highest elevation, just below tje top...

At the new 3'x3' elevation change, yes the vegetation turns to moss, and is right underneath a tree. I guess I never realized how minimized the transition could be. Cant even call it a micro-island. I always thought in terms of cattails to hardwoods, or cedars to dogwood etc. And it absolutely is the lowest elevation in the area just above the water, but just in small patches. I think something just clicked for me. Appreciate the input Dan.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:55 pm

Trout wrote:
Dewey wrote:Bucks will bed where they feel secure. There is no rule saying that has to be along a transition. If a buck is bedding there on a regular basis there’s a reason why. Your job is to find that answer and then apply it to similar situations in the future.

Yeah, this. Maybe he beds on the primary transition when pressure is low, but moves out to that spot when pressure is high?

I would certainly agree, but judging by the amount of hair in the beds I was wondering if I chased him out of there. Of course they are shedding now, but it still doesn't lie seeing that amount of hair in the beds. He has to be using it now and nobody is hunting now unless it is a poacher.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:12 am

Yea I just found a few yesterday out in a sawgrass/ haymeadow.. spots I was finding them were on little rises out in the stuff.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”