Piebald or Fawn with Spots Still

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trout
500 Club

Piebald or Fawn with Spots Still

Unread postby Trout » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:21 pm

Ran into a mature doe and her fawn from last year in a field while driving home from scouting the other night. Its a bad pic, it was about 40yds from the road and I had to zoom in a little with my phone, but the fawn immediately caught my eye from a distance for how light it was. Our deer are still carrying their dark grey winter coats. As I got closer, I realized it still had all of its fawn spots, its coat was still fairly red, and there were some large blot he's of real light colored fur here and there. You think this is a piebald or just a fawn that never lost its summer coat? I've seen fawns during the season with some faded spots still hanging on, but never anything like this deer so late in the winter, made me think it might be a piebald or something.

20210322_194421.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Piebald or Fawn with Spots Still

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:35 pm

Looks like piebald to me for sure. I can’t imagine a fawn surviving up there without a winter coat. She would freeze for sure.

Also, looking at the picture it looks like her head and neck are still in her winter coat. She also looks like she might be pregnant but it’s har to tell from the angle in the picture.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:35 pm

Kinda looks like it’s shedding
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:48 pm

I thought shedding too. Deer look pretty disheveled this time of the year when losing their winter coat. Well used beds are just full of hair right now.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:08 pm

A few years ago I had a fawn with spots on trail cam in April.....looked like it never got its winter coat. I’ll have to dig to see if I can find the pic, but I was surprised to see it as well.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:04 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:Looks like piebald to me for sure. I can’t imagine a fawn surviving up there without a winter coat. She would freeze for sure.

Also, looking at the picture it looks like her head and neck are still in her winter coat. She also looks like she might be pregnant but it’s har to tell from the angle in the picture.

Bob

I'm with Bob on piebald.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:10 pm

I believe this is the pic I posted back in 2018.....

IMAG1241.JPG

Had several pics of this fawn and to say the thing was tiny would be an understatement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:07 am

Ack wrote:I believe this is the pic I posted back in 2018.....

IMAG1241.JPG
Had several pics of this fawn and to say the thing was tiny would be an understatement.

Piebald also have other physical characteristics like a short (Roman) nose, short legs, and an arched spine. In this picture it looks like she has a short nose and short legs as well.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:57 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, appreciate it!

Yeah, this was what looked like last year's fawn, mom is just out of the picture to the left giving me the stink eye. :lol: our deer haven't really started to shed yet, our lakes are still froze over and we are just now starting to get some warner weather this week. This deer is definitely different, I just dont know why. This was about a mile from where I hunt so who knows, maybe I get some more encounters with it if the coloration doesn't change after they go to their summer coats. Would be cool to see it during season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”