water bin and mock scrape

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hildebrand

water bin and mock scrape

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:51 am

Hi, was wondering if anybody had experience with water bins. A land I hunt has no water in the woods but lots pretty close by. I buried a kiddie pool this weekend just about 60 yards outside of bedding and hung a vine for a mock scrape next to it. This is about 15-20 yards off the field edge. I choose this because its a easy spot to get to and hunt and its on the way to food, and deer do use this spot a lot. Also there will be corn up this year so there will be cover. So the question is has anybody had luck with a set up like this ? I am going to toss a cell camera up here in a few weeks and just see how deer use it. I have had some luck on mock scrapes in this woods before but I have never hunted over hunt as it was not close to bedding. I just used it to see what bucks were in the area

sureshotscott
500 Club

Re: water bin and mock scrape

Unread postby sureshotscott » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:24 am

Look up Jeff Sturgis on youtube he will have some vids on this.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:04 am

thank you
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:08 am

Could work but make sure you have a log/stick propped into the water. That way if a rodent falls in they can get out. If one falls in, and drowns, you'll have to empty the whole thing because the dead animal bacteria will keep anything else from drinking out of it.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:21 am

thank you that makes sense.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:51 am

Sounds good. It’s already a good spot your enhancing it. Keep the trips there to a minimum to avoid intrusion
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:12 pm

I dug in a water tank out in a private CRP field that I have access to, the closest water was 1/2 mile away. I put a branch in it to let critters get out if they fell in, the birds and deer really liked it a lot. I had deer and mature bucks on it in the morning and evening. It really is a big draw if they can feel protected when drinking, I put mine in the middle of a 30 yard by 20 yard wide opening. The grass around it was 4' -5' tall and I set it up so I could hunt it undetected on the prevailing early season wind.

Here's a buck I had over 2000 pictures of last year, he used the water hole almost daily. I also put out a cattle mineral block on a pine stump that they hammered all late summer and into early fall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:10 am

Hawthorne wrote:Sounds good. It’s already a good spot your enhancing it. Keep the trips there to a minimum to avoid intrusion

That is why I want to use my cell cam there. Plus the corn this year will give me a good cover. Hoping I can catch a good buck using it early season and slip in.
Yes its already a good area, I was just trying to make it better
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:13 am

BRoth82 wrote:I dug in a water tank out in a private CRP field that I have access to, the closest water was 1/2 mile away. I put a branch in it to let critters get out if they fell in, the birds and deer really liked it a lot. I had deer and mature bucks on it in the morning and evening. It really is a big draw if they can feel protected when drinking, I put mine in the middle of a 30 yard by 20 yard wide opening. The grass around it was 4' -5' tall and I set it up so I could hunt it undetected on the prevailing early season wind.

Here's a buck I had over 2000 pictures of last year, he used the water hole almost daily. I also put out a cattle mineral block on a pine stump that they hammered all late summer and into early fall.

I have to go back and add the stick for the critters this weekend and top off the pool. I am going to look to a actual water bin used. I actually don't know if I will be able to get it dug deep enough. I was hitting roots and gravel just with the kiddie pool.

Looks like it worked well for you. Hopefully the same for me
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:28 am

I found that having as little surface area as possible, worked best for less evaporation. The kiddie pool works but it has such a large surface area compared to the depth that it will dry up really quick. I would just get a 55 gallon plastic barrel and cut the bottom 2' off and burry that, should work really good and hold water.

But if you can get in there during the day and not spook anything out to refill it them you can use whatever, luckily where I have mine is right off a field road in farm country so they are very used to hearing four wheelers. I only had to refill mine once over the course of 3 months, But I used a 500 gallon tank that I cut down to 30" deep so it would hold about 300 gallons of water.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:25 am

BRoth82 wrote:I found that having as little surface area as possible, worked best for less evaporation. The kiddie pool works but it has such a large surface area compared to the depth that it will dry up really quick. I would just get a 55 gallon plastic barrel and cut the bottom 2' off and burry that, should work really good and hold water.

But if you can get in there during the day and not spook anything out to refill it them you can use whatever, luckily where I have mine is right off a field road in farm country so they are very used to hearing four wheelers. I only had to refill mine once over the course of 3 months, But I used a 500 gallon tank that I cut down to 30" deep so it would hold about 300 gallons of water.

Thank you for the replies. I am going to search for a better option
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:41 am

BRoth82 wrote:I dug in a water tank out in a private CRP field that I have access to, the closest water was 1/2 mile away. I put a branch in it to let critters get out if they fell in, the birds and deer really liked it a lot. I had deer and mature bucks on it in the morning and evening. It really is a big draw if they can feel protected when drinking, I put mine in the middle of a 30 yard by 20 yard wide opening. The grass around it was 4' -5' tall and I set it up so I could hunt it undetected on the prevailing early season wind.

Awesome pics to

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”