Hill country point bed.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

upwind predator
500 Club

Hill country point bed.

Unread postby upwind predator » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:42 am

Found a mature buck bed on public this morning, big beds and high rubs, its on a point that juts out from a hay field on public. Beds 100ish yards down the point where it gets real thick n nasty, he can see good to his north back towards the field. Theres 2 ridges on both sides that are higher then the point with steep draws between. Would i be corrcet that he would be bedding here on a south wind with the way the terrain is setup. So he can watch in front his north and smell behind where its thick to the south? Point runs north and south.

Coalcracker

Re: Hill country point bed.

Unread postby Coalcracker » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:04 am

On many points they can watch in all directions. Obviously thick vegetation will effect which direction they can see but not what they can smell. So, yes, thick cover to back with wind cutting through thicket. But if it sets up just right, they adjust and lay anywhere on the point where they can see multiple ways and smell upwind.
Shoot Straight
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:08 am

Btw the point is narrow and comes down overlooking a drainage with a area that has picnic tables in it, beds n runs all the way to that and the ridge/point to the east has same sign just not as much.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:45 am

Unless im not following correctly... A ridge point running N - S from the field, then he should be there on a Northerly wind. If you're saying hes laying watching the field w his back to lower elevations then hes doing something different or the wind currents are odd or hes feels very secure.

W the higher elevation ridges on each side that could create some weird currents. Every deer and bed can be different.
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:25 am

<DK> wrote:Unless im not following correctly... A ridge point running N - S from the field, then he should be there on a Northerly wind. If you're saying hes laying watching the field w his back to lower elevations then hes doing something different or the wind currents are odd or hes feels very secure.

W the higher elevation ridges on each side that could create some weird currents. Every deer and bed can be different.

You are following correctly, i walked farther down the point to the end of it where it stops at a draw/drainage with picnic tables and a hiking trail. So my best guess is if its an older deer who’s lived in the area awhile depending on hiking pressure, he’d pry bed with both winds, one where he’s at one end watching the picnic tables one say and one if he’s wantin to watch the field another. I do need to stop forgetting milkweed when i go scout.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:06 am

upwind predator wrote:
<DK> wrote:Unless im not following correctly... A ridge point running N - S from the field, then he should be there on a Northerly wind. If you're saying hes laying watching the field w his back to lower elevations then hes doing something different or the wind currents are odd or hes feels very secure.

You are following correctly, i walked farther down the point to the end of it where it stops at a draw/drainage with picnic tables and a hiking trail. So my best guess is if its an older deer who’s lived in the area awhile depending on hiking pressure, he’d pry bed with both winds, one where he’s at one end watching the picnic tables one say and one if he’s wantin to watch the field another. I do need to stop forgetting milkweed when i go scout.

I agree. Finding a large buck bed in the hills, w his back to lower elevations is a special find. Most times iv seen one its a great buck and if I recall right they had a steep drop off bluff behind them.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”