How many miles have you walked this spring?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

How many miles have you walked this spring?

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:55 am

I’m at 33 miles so far and feel like I’m way behind. Even though I’ve got some great new ground scouted and several new sets ready to go. I think for me to be truly ready I’d be in the 60 mile range.

You?

Ryan549
500 Club

Re: How many miles have you walked this spring?

Unread postby Ryan549 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:59 am

I keep track as well. We had a lot of snow in February, which kept me out of the woods for awhile. Waist deep snow is not easy to navigate. Thawed out now and hitting it again tomorrow
Ryan
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:10 am

I usually average 75-100 miles while winter/spring scouting. Been a little slower this year but still just over 65 miles. Plenty of time to scout yet till full green up. I enjoy walking and exploring so it doesn’t even feel like work to me. It’s my relaxation time.

Honestly total miles means nothing. A few miles in key spots can be much more valuable than walking 50 miles of low quality land gathering very little intel.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:13 am

Ive never thought about tracking my miles i walked. Do you use the onx tracker or like a fitbit?
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:15 am

I’m right around 30 miles and yes way behind
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:34 am

Dewey wrote:I usually average 75-100 miles while winter/spring scouting. Been a little slower this year but still just over 65 miles. Plenty of time to scout yet till full green up. I enjoy walking and exploring so it doesn’t even feel like work to me. It’s my relaxation time.

Honestly total miles means nothing. A few miles in key spots can be much more valuable than walking 50 miles of low quality land gathering very little intel.

I agree with your comment about key spots. Walking random transitions doesn’t mean a whole lot. All of my miles have been in important areas. Pretty excited about some of the bedding I’ve found!

And you’re right we do have some time yet, but time seems to fly by for me. I still have to organize some backup plans of attack for the drop tine, prep two kill trees and do some investigating at one of my main stays, and prep a set and a half at a brand new property. I should be able to get all that done and be in decent shape.

I’m planning on checking on a few sets after green up as well. And checking to see how bad access will be at my new spots. Hopefully waders get me there and I don’t need a kayak.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:39 am

I’ve never kept track. I’d say my mileage has gone down the last few years but elevation has gone up. But I probably do around 10 miles most weeks and more during turkey season. I don’t walk all around anymore either if I don’t see what I need to in the right areas. Honestly I do more in season scouting now, winter scouting is only but so helpful for me things always change so much from year to year.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:51 am

Probably at 10 miles or so right now, but I have several scouting days planned in the next week and a half
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:55 am

Moose wrote:Ive never thought about tracking my miles i walked. Do you use the onx tracker or like a fitbit?

Yep just start a trail with OnX when I leave the truck. Sometimes I delete it when I’m done, other times I keep it and use it to help keep track of bedding I haven’t made it to yet.
Jrdeerhuntr

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:37 am

I am at like 18 miles or so. I would say 14 of them have been on 500 acres that have at least 3 really nice bucks that appear to have made it through the season. In seasons past I think I have tried to cover too much ground. This year I plan to really focus on only the properties I know there are shooters present. It sounds logical but being my 3rd year hunting public, I am still learning where the nicer bucks are and people aren't. I will keep going through mid may as I want to learn every bedding area on these parcels.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:50 am

Jrdeerhuntr wrote:I am at like 18 miles or so. I would say 14 of them have been on 500 acres that have at least 3 really nice bucks that appear to have made it through the season. In seasons past I think I have tried to cover too much ground. This year I plan to really focus on only the properties I know there are shooters present. It sounds logical but being my 3rd year hunting public, I am still learning where the nicer bucks are and people aren't. I will keep going through mid may as I want to learn every bedding area on these parcels.

That’s a good plan. I spread myself way too thin the first few years.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:33 am

I'm right at 43 miles between late fall and now, I've covered a lot of ground but really in the habitat I hunt I would say that 50% of those miles were to just to get back into the area I really wanted to look at. I do have a ground set ready to go and 4 tree stand sets prepped, I still need to get out and set some tree stand sets in the area where Tyler and I scouted. I do still plan on speed scouting a couple more public areas, and if I find something good then look for ground sets or tree stand sets. MY goal going into this fall is to have a minimum of 6 ground sets and 10 tree stand sets, with one ground and tree stand set for each of the common wind directions we get.
American_Regular

Unread postby American_Regular » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:14 am

Just passed the 10 mile mark this afternoon. Wouldn't say I'm behind but I would like to have been out a couple more times by now. Snow and obligations have been holding me back. That being said, the miles I have put in have definitely been worth it based on what I've found. The forum has me seeing with new eyes this year. :D
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:12 am

Just getting started, 3 :lol:
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:16 am

58ish. I usually do 6-10 miles per outing. I let the onx tracker run everytime I go out. So far this year just lots of wandering looking for sheds and a crossing off a bunch of places that look like total busts from boots on the ground :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”