Dan Do You Hold Your Bow on Public Land?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Country
500 Club

Dan Do You Hold Your Bow on Public Land?

Unread postby Country » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:06 am

Not sure if this has been answered before, but what is your method for keeping your bow from falling to the ground while hunting from a hang on on public land?

Other beasts, what's your preferred method?

Since I started saddle hunting, I have been using the hero clip. I used to use the third hand bow holder on my hang on but it was a bit heavy and felt crammed while sitting. Also didn't like having it on my seat because I couldn't flip the seat up. Those 3d printed bow hangers by Genesis look kinda nice, but it puts the bow more behind you if you're facing away from the tree in a hang on.

Noreast10pt
500 Club

Re: Dan Do You Hold Your Bow on Public Land?

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:57 am

Always ready and in my hand.
I don't want to be making any extra movements trying to make sure I'm grabbing my bow when a deer sneaks in on me.
I used a bow hanger when I started hunting but its probably forgotten in some tree somewhere.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:02 am

Saddle facing the tree I hang my bow on a HME gear strap on the right side. I shoot left handed.

Treestand I have a Third Hand Bow Holder on my seat or just lay it across my lap when sitting. When standing I usually fold my seat up and just hold my bow.

No matter what my bow is always in my hand during primetime.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:44 am

I dont really hunt much public but i do have a third hand on my platform. It does add more weight but it works for me. I use to to use the screw in bow holders on private but now that i have the third hand thats all im gonna use.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:54 am

I need to improve my readiness game for sure. I hate holding my bow all day though... especially when it's freezing out. What you guys say about being ready especially during prime time is spot on.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:19 am

This why I wish a bow holder would be in the beast stand! I love that feature on my lone wolf assault ll that's what I use when I'm in my stand. If I use a saddle, I use a hero clip
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:31 am

Mike32 wrote:This why I wish a bow holder would be in the beast stand! I love that feature on my lone wolf assault ll that's what I use when I'm in my stand. If I use a saddle, I use a hero clip

I won’t use the LW built in bow holder with my bow anymore. My limbs are fairly narrow so my bow is pretty tippy side to side using it especially if the platform isn’t perfectly level. I had a gust of wind blow mine over once and luckily I caught it before the cam twisted on the peg. That could really ruin your day. Haven’t used mine since. I would hope if Dan adds one it will be a much better design. I’m sure it will be. He mentioned working on one but not adding it due to cost. Maybe an add on accessory later? :think:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:31 am

I use one that hangs off the left side of the Assault 1. Works ok, but it has to be super tight or it rotates loose. It also sticks out another 4 inches, making it more likely to catch brush.

Saddle is a tree strap... forget who makes it.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:40 am

My bow is pretty much always in my hand unless I need to add/remove clothes or dig a snack out, etc. In which case I use the bow holder built in to my xop vanish. With my summit climber Id just hang the bow just below the top cam off my seat arms if I needed to set it down temporarily. Might have to look into something if I end up picking up a saddle though. Been thinking about it since it's a light weight option to get myself in a tree as well as one of my kids in a stand.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:29 am

Dewey wrote:
Mike32 wrote:This why I wish a bow holder would be in the beast stand! I love that feature on my lone wolf assault ll that's what I use when I'm in my stand. If I use a saddle, I use a hero clip

I won’t use the LW built in bow holder with my bow anymore. My limbs are fairly narrow so my bow is pretty tippy side to side using it especially if the platform isn’t perfectly level. I had a gust of wind blow mine over once and luckily I caught it before the cam twisted on the peg. That could really ruin your day. Haven’t used mine since. I would hope if Dan adds one it will be a much better design. I’m sure it will be. He mentioned working on one but not adding it due to cost. Maybe an add on accessory later? :think:

I agree. I thought the lw bow holder would be awesome, until it tipped over. Thank god i caught it. Great idea but dosent hold my bow very well either.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:27 pm

Noreast10pt wrote:Always ready and in my hand.
I don't want to be making any extra movements trying to make sure I'm grabbing my bow when a deer sneaks in on me.
I used a bow hanger when I started hunting but its probably forgotten in some tree somewhere.

I do the same. On cold days I sometimes have to switch hands and keep the other inside of the coat, but this is my mentality as well. Always want to be ready. Don’t always know what direction they are coming from.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:00 pm

I have a strap with 3 rigid plastic clips - I’m a lefty and hang my bow in an easily accessible location for minimal movement - it works very well.

Lee
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:05 pm

I always have mine ready with release on lope.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:49 am

Sitting I use the LW holder in the platform. My bow is tippy in it like Dewey said so I always keep a hand on the bow to keep it stable. Basically just using the platform to hold the weight of the bow.

I stand a lot and will hang it from accessory hook strap on tree if I am facing that way or I use one of those belt fastened cam holders and have the bow ‘at the ready’ when expecting action...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:53 am

I have a hook on the end of my camera arm... Before camera arms I would break off a small branch or set it on my lap till go time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”