First sit EVER success!?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

570Beast

Re: First sit EVER success!?

Unread postby 570Beast » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:45 am

G-Patt wrote:
570Beast wrote:
G-Patt wrote:I've had plenty of opportunities on mature bucks on 2nd and 3rd sits while hunting for does (tagged out on bucks - less mature ones at that too, LOL - if you're wondering). These were mostly on creek-access ground sets and actually sitting in the creek. The access to and from is bulletproof. The logic that you up your odds on a mature buck with your first sit makes a ton of sense, but I think you're still in the game on subsequent sits if your access is money and you have a solid intel of how the buck is using/traveling a given area.

That sounds like a great idea. Makes me think of an area I want to hunt next year. Does your scent tend to flow up and down the creek? Also, how are you setting up in the actual creek? Are you standing or do you bring a folding chair or something?

I hunt this creek spot on cool, low-wind (2 to 3 mph) mornings in early November, so my scent is kept down in the creek, plus the creek flows downstream to where the walls of the creek are about 45 to 50 feet high, which is where my scent goes. I use milkweed to keep a check on it. Once the wind starts to get funky around 10:30, I bug out. I use hip waders and bring a small camp stool and sit in the creek where the water is ankle deep. There are no huntable trees, though there is plenty of undergrowth to keep me hidden, and they simply don't expect to get ambushed in the creek. I can think of 2 other similar spots to hunt with that same set up for next year.

Thanks for the reply! I know of a creek bottom with apple trees scattered throughout along the creek. I’ve never hunted the area because I think the wind will be extremely difficult to deal with. I’m going to give your idea a shot on a calm evening this year during the early season. Am I correct thinking that the water should pull the air in during closing time? I might have to wait for the last hour to slip in there after the winds calm down.

MikefromOH

Unread postby MikefromOH » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:55 am

G-patt that sounds like a great idea thanks for sharing!
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:20 am

570Beast wrote:Thanks for the reply! I know of a creek bottom with apple trees scattered throughout along the creek. I’ve never hunted the area because I think the wind will be extremely difficult to deal with. I’m going to give your idea a shot on a calm evening this year during the early season. Am I correct thinking that the water should pull the air in during closing time? I might have to wait for the last hour to slip in there after the winds calm down.
Yes, the creek flow should pull your scent down stream if you have a flowing creek. Bring milkweed! Good idea to wait to the last hour to slip in there, since that will also be around the time the thermals switch in your favor. Good luck! Keep me posted.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
570Beast

Unread postby 570Beast » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:23 am

G-Patt wrote:
570Beast wrote:Thanks for the reply! I know of a creek bottom with apple trees scattered throughout along the creek. I’ve never hunted the area because I think the wind will be extremely difficult to deal with. I’m going to give your idea a shot on a calm evening this year during the early season. Am I correct thinking that the water should pull the air in during closing time? I might have to wait for the last hour to slip in there after the winds calm down.
Yes, the creek flow should pull your scent down stream if you have a flowing creek. Bring milkweed! Good idea to wait to the last hour to slip in there, since that will also be around the time the thermals switch in your favor. Good luck! Keep me posted.

Will do. Thanks G-Patt!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:34 am

570Beast wrote:I saw Dan post a comment on facebook saying that 40% of his top 10 archery bucks came from his first sit EVER at a spot. This really stuck out to me. I’m curious if any of you have any idea what percentage of your mature bucks came from the first sit ever in a spot. Did you have the spot picked out/prepped or were you scouting your way in? Had you hunted the area previously or was it completely fresh? Thanks in advance!

I'm on a 500 acre hunting lease in GA and the best bucks are taken from the first sits in a given stand about 90% of the time. After 3 sits, the odds of getting a good buck goes down considerably, even the traveling rut bucks.

My limited experience on public has shown me that the mature bucks will put up w 1 intrusion, the 2nd time he smells you he becomes a ghost.

When I find a good spot scouting on public, I will prep myself regarding stands and maybe break some dead limbs for shooting lanes.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:11 pm

It just never fails I’m always the odd man out on these topics. I couldn’t remember so I took a stroll into my trophy room to think about it and not one of my mature(4+) year old bucks has come on a very first sit. That is first ever sit in specific tree ever. I have had 2 or 3 first sits for that year in that tree but most have been sat and then revisited either later in season or consecutive sits . I’m big on sitting an evening than returning in morning if wind stays true for stand outside of my all day sits. I like the topic it made me take a trip down memory lane and stop focusing on the next buck if only for a few minutes lol
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:18 am

Last season was my first full season hunting beast style and being mobile. I hunted 3 diffrent farms and on all 3 sits i encountered nice bucks that i could have killed if i would have picked the right tree. Lots to learn but im a believer of first sit success now.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:14 am

I killed four bucks this past season. All of which were on the first time in. It is amazing to me how quickly chances of success go downhill after you've sat in the same tree more than once.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:41 pm

I have had good luck through the years on a first time sit on a stand I’ve hunted for years. When it comes to going in blind, picking a tree, and bringing home the bacon it usually doesn’t go well for me. Can usually get myself in the ball park. But the small things that lead me to have a legit good opportunity takes me some time to learn.

Only time I can ever remember hanging a stand blind and being successful on a good buck was 2 seasons ago on light pressured private. And that was the perfect storm terrain, cover, and rut wise. Killed a nice buck and a doe within 45 minutes of daylight with a recurve the first time I stepped foot on the place less than a hour in. Now that’s hunting, all downhill from there :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”