Doe bedding setup question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MartyMoose

Doe bedding setup question

Unread postby MartyMoose » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:11 am

Hello all,
I have been scouting a piece of public around Waupaca, WI. I have located 2 core doe bedding areas and have a question on setting up for bucks scent checking during the season. Is it best to setup downwind of the doe bedding itself, or setup on the primary trails leading from the doe bedding that a buck may cross to scent check? Trying to piece the puzzle together.

KLEMZ

Re: Doe bedding setup question

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:10 pm

Both locations are good strategies. My personal preference is to hunt the main exit trails when the wind allows, even if it's not the downwind side. Best scenario is when exit trails also line up with prevailing winds. This is my experience in north woods terrain, may not be the same in middle Wisconsin?
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:37 pm

Based on my experiences in Northeast hill country I have found does often bed and leave bedding areas with the wind to their back. So the ideal situation to catch a cruising buck during the rut is when I can line up being downwind as well as covering the main trails they frequent at that particular bedding area. If you want to catch a buck scent checking the bedding and/or the trails it's probably going to be far enough back where there will be the thickest cover available for him to travel through being that he's probably going to be checking for does after they've bedded for the day and he doesn't have the cover of darkness to his advantage.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:47 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:Based on my experiences in Northeast hill country I have found does often bed and leave bedding areas with the wind to their back. So the ideal situation to catch a cruising buck during the rut is when I can line up being downwind as well as covering the main trails they frequent at that particular bedding area. If you want to catch a buck scent checking the bedding and/or the trails it's probably going to be far enough back where there will be the thickest cover available for him to travel through being that he's probably going to be checking for does after they've bedded for the day and he doesn't have the cover of darkness to his advantage.

I like to set up on the edge that provides this. Could be cruising upwind and visibly stopping nose to the ground on exit trails. See more bucks downwind, but mature bucks in cover.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:13 am

Yeah anywhere where there is thick cover adjacent to the bedding. Thick cover downwind ups your odds even more. Check too to see if hes using a pronounced travel route and try to setup on it. He could lay a rubline or you can tell by his tracks. If he's not pressured and hasn't had a bad encounter, he'll use that trail pretty consistently to scent check. In marsh area, it'll almost look like a cattle path. You'll have to be on your A game though on your setup otherwise he will know your there.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:08 am

I like diving in and setting up tight to them. Essentially I want to be between two Doe bedding spots bc they bounce around all day setting up multiple chances. Setting up on the edges is always good idea. Setting up down wind can be good too but I dont unless there is good sign or a track or I saw something or terrain features.

I see bucks walk right thru doe bedding areas looking for them so thats where I want to be. They dont always leave the thick cover when rutting after them, so I like to be right where the action should be. Being that aggressive iv made alot of mistakes, also had alot of success but mainly iv had a ton of fun!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”