POLL - Have you killed a good buck near someone else’s stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Have you ever killed a buck in close proximity to another hunter’s stand?

Yes
63%
No, but I’ve had encounters.
13%
No, I don’t have much luck near other people’s sets.
5%
No, because I never hunt near other people’s sets.
20%

Total votes: 88
Scoutking07
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WisconsinWhitetailTrailCam/

Re: POLL - Have you killed a good buck near someone else’s stand?

Unread postby Scoutking07 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:35 am

I killed my best buck in the northwoods of WI from a tree, that after climbing, I found an old bow hanger still screwed into and grown into the tree. Some one had chosen that tree years prior and I chose the same one, pretty unreal in the bigwoods setting with nothing but trees to choose from. The 6 1/2 yr buck came to check a scrape about 70 yards nearly downwind and I grunted him up into the wind, just off from catching my scent and shot him.

Always pick a spot!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:52 am

Scoutking07 wrote:I killed my best buck in the northwoods of WI from a tree, that after climbing, I found an old bow hanger still screwed into and grown into the tree. Some one had chosen that tree years prior and I chose the same one, pretty unreal in the bigwoods setting with nothing but trees to choose from. The 6 1/2 yr buck came to check a scrape about 70 yards nearly downwind and I grunted him up into the wind, just off from catching my scent and shot him.

I see that a lot and have also killed from trees with old bow hangers in them. Marsh hunting with limited trees it's pretty common but in northwoods that just goes to show how important that one tree in the right place is.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:19 am

This years Ohio buck was killed within bow range of a tree I know was climbed by a climber in mid october. I could see the fresh bite marks in the tree when I scouted it. Spot looked too good to deter me. Don't know what he saw. But I know what I saw in my hour of leaning on a tree there. Lol. Should note, I killed my buck in early December...

Hunted another tree in November. I was within 10yds of a ladder stand. Withib 75yda of a trail cam... Couldn't tell when it was used but I never saw evidence anyone was there. Saw 2 mature bucks there.

If stuff looks frequently visited, or freshly visited, it changes my tactics. But, if it doesn't look visited or used, I hunt where I wanna hunt.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:35 am

I watched my neighbor walk to his stand the evening I killed my biggest buck. He was probably 200yds from me. The bucks I see on his property when they are not there. Watched a nice shooter this year walking by one of there stands and they weren’t there that day. Deer a pretty smart. I know they killed a big one there somewhere on 80acres. Saw a pic

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”