POLL - Have you killed a good buck near someone else’s stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

Have you ever killed a buck in close proximity to another hunter’s stand?

Yes
63%
No, but I’ve had encounters.
13%
No, I don’t have much luck near other people’s sets.
5%
No, because I never hunt near other people’s sets.
20%

Total votes: 88
Redman232

Re: POLL - Have you killed a good buck near someone else’s stand?

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:36 am

IMG_2487.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CC120

Unread postby CC120 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:45 am

Only because they try and get close to my location and setup on top of me!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:06 am

Thankfully this is something I rarely have to deal with since the land I hunt most of the time it's illegal to leave stands up overnight and if they are I see to it they're removed after being turned in to the warden. I go out of my way to avoid hunting near others. Just not something I enjoy. I seek areas others rarely go.

I would never knowingly set up near somebody else's actively used stand on an evening hunt mainly due to the fear of somebody coming out later and ruining my hunt. Just a quality of hunt thing for me and want to avoid that type of thing. In areas where stands are permitted overnight I have set up in dark and later noticed a stand nearby after daylight. In that case I usually stay put since obviously the other person didn't hunt that morning.

As far as old remnant stands from many years ago I have hunted near them with success and killed a number of deer. Most of them are in the Northwoods in very remote spots and didn't even notice many of them till later after the kill. I always found it cool that I ended up in the exact spot that a hunter from the past obviously found to be good 10-20 years ago. Most are in spots that really catch my eye. I'm amazed how many times after surveying an area like that I suddenly come across an old rotted board in the crotch of a tree. If only those old stands could tell stories.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:31 am

Absolutely.

Most memorable was I climbed up well before daylight in a hub of funnels. Two guys walked in right at daylight and set up each covering a spoke to my east. They never knew I was there. They climbed down around 9:30 and walked out for lunch. At 11am a buck came out of the swamp and walked right next to the one dudes climber, I shot it and it ran and died next to the other dudes climber. I drug it out of there before they returned but they def had to see the blood and drag marks, they were probably not happy, pack a lunch, idk, sorry.

Shot several bucks while staring at other hunters in trees as well.

Not sure where guys are hunting where they have the option to have an entire area to themself, I have very few public spots like that outside of bow season, most always just hunting the little seams, folds and wrinkles that the deer use to stay safe from all the permanent stands...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:51 am

I have killed a couple and a bear within sight of old stands or blinds. As far as I know they hadn’t been hunted in years and still haven’t been hunted. If I see sign of someone actively hunting I avoid that area.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:57 am

Being a small acreage hunter primarily. I would say I’ve killed more bucks on 20 acres or less with 5 tower blinds and corn feeders than anything. It might sound odd or make myself sound smarter than I really am. But basically they set up shop in places anyone with a clue would cross off. The fact that they hunt only 1 stand a few times a year doesn’t really crank up the pressure considering they spend there time in the middle of a retard sandwhich. I have access to a 1200 acre plot public that has way less pressure per acre but the deer are way more jumpy. Not always the case.....
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:49 pm

On our place in MN my dad, my buddy and I have taken advantage of setting close to our neighbor. He used to sit almost right on the line. We didn't care we got along with him good. He would come on our side and we would cross on to his no big deal. Anyways he would always walk out of the slough half hour before the end of shooting light. He didn't like walking through all that marsh grass and crap In the dark. Just like clock work right after he would leave a nice buck would come out of the bedding area along the slough ten minutes after he would leave. We probably killed 8 or so bucks over the years doing that. Don't get to use this anymore he is getting pretty old and haven't seen him down hunting in years now. Worked great for a while though.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:58 am

We hunt small parcel private...it's pretty rare to be more than a few hundred yards from someone elses stand because the properties just are not that large and anything close to the borders usually have stands on them.

All three of the bucks I killed this year were less than 150 yards from another hunter's stand. The one in Missouri was the only one that surprised me. It was a hangon in a VERY good spot and was maybe 30 yards from the property line. We ended up hunting that portion of our ground heavy during the middle of November and saw good buck after good buck but never saw the hunter. Can only imagine the deer he must have been on, to not be in that stand. He was on that property somewhere else because we could see his truck as we drove by. We never ran into him and he was an all-day hunter, too from what we could see (he had to cross an open field to get to his truck).
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:31 am

i've shot a couple in close proximity to other stands but they were rifle hunters and this was bow season. Almost shot my biggest right under another guys stand that was hard to get to, he has easy access to a killer spot and i hike over a mile and then have to cross 300 yards of beaver dams. Had I been in his stand that day I would have a giant 10 on my wall but oh the memories of him at 30 yards in the brush. Was also close to shooting one in a parking lots this past season which is a huge goal of mine.
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:57 am

Bow season, I plan around other hunters if I know where they are hunting. Like the downwind side or making entry different from them but I've never set up on purpose or even accidentally "next" to another hunters stand and killed a buck.

Rifle season, depends on your criteria. On the first day of rifle on public land in Pa, every stand I choose is based on knowing where most other hunters will be set up. I try to take advantage. This past season, on the first day, three of us killed bucks either in or just about within eyesight of other hunters.

In 2019, I was walking in to a spot and was flashed off by another hunter. Knowing the area very well, I adjusted my set up. I killed a buck. This past season, I set a friend and his kid in the same spot. The kid killed his first buck. Wouldn't you know it, someone else set up 80 yards west along the same elevation. Turns out he was related to the guy who flashed me off in 2019.

I'm constantly adjusting to what others are doing because once you kill a decent buck close to them, they start creeping in or try getting to the spot first. Needless to say anyone who hunts with me the first day of rifle doesn't get much sleep the night before.
Shoot Straight
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:02 pm

I set up according to what the sign tells me. If there is another stand where I’m seeing awesome sign, I’m still setting up. I’ve had opportunities around other stands on properties with different amounts of pressure and different deer densities. Successful hunters accept that bucks have different personalities and will do as they do. Some bucks won’t be caught within 200 of a hunters stand while others are comfortable wind checking stands before passing through those areas. The oldest bucks are the ones that follow the rules and know when to break them.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:39 pm

Define near someone else’s stand. When I hunt the properties I do they are not only being hunted by myself except for my own land but that is also a small piece of property so the neighbors are a factor. I try to avoid other hunters as much as possible if it’s not possible I try to use it to my advantage
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:26 am

phade wrote:We hunt small parcel private...it's pretty rare to be more than a few hundred yards from someone elses stand because the properties just are not that large and anything close to the borders usually have stands on them.

This^^^

Last Friday I had a knock on my office door. The person who hunts across the fence from one of my small parcels (not the one I posted the image of earlier in this thread) stopped by to chat. I'd never met him before, but he did some investigation to find my name and tracked me down. He was hoping to gain permission to the property, but I don't own it, so not my call. We swapped phone numbers in case we need to cross over the fence to track a wounded deer (unarmed pursuit of wounded game is legal, the call is a courtesy). I've walked the fences around this small 18 acres and can see tree stands on all neighboring properties. If I wasn't willing to hunt near someone else's stands, I would be missing out on some of my best properties.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:54 am

Yes indeed I have. Very interesting to see how a mature deer will work around them stands at a very safe distance yet, smell the stand then if no one is there move right by it. Funny scouting in the snow the other day, located a stand that has been put up this past season. There was a bed from what I assume is a good buck, 3 or older anyways and he was bedding within sight of the stand and also moving right be it based on his tracks in the snow. As he came back into that bedding area he was moving down low in the ridge, without a doubt smelling to make sure the coast was clear there. They learn very very quickly how most people hunt and they then will pattern the hunter in a manor that they can slip around them without the hunter ever knowing. If there is sign of a good animal in a area along with a permanent stand, it’s never a bad bet to scout downwind of that stand or if they have ribbon tape, I’ve seen it to where the buck will cross that entry trail too checking to see if the hunter has came through. I’ve killed a couple that I can think of not far off permanent stands.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:36 am

Sure, growing up in the thumb Michigan there were stands everywhere.

In the big wilderness I haven’t ran into another hunter in two yrs. I did see one setup this fall that was in a small clearing. ( everyone around here thinks a clearing is the spot to be) anyways I knew deer bedded occasionally on a ridge just past the clearing and that a lot of doe follow that ridge to some private land 1/2-3/4 mile away. Rut came around.. I didn’t want to take the main trail in and it took me a long time to go not very far. I eventually found the ridge, knew where I was pretty good but didn’t realize how close I was to the access trail and the clearing with the blind. Shot a nice buck and he died on the access trail. I was probably 150 yds from there maybe less. Had I walked in on that trail I think the jig would’ve been up. He had to been bedded watching the access, plus scenting a ridge behind him/viewing the ridge in front of him. The two main corridors to the local food source. Even if that guy came out it would’ve likely been illegally on his quad and he would’ve pushed em out. I think
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”