How many inches in a year?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Indianahunter
500 Club

How many inches in a year?

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:44 pm

If you have a deer in an agricultural area with plenty of water sources and thousands of acres of abundant nutrients how many additional inches of antler would be an average growth rate. Just curious about what would be reasonable to expect of the 130 class deer that I have pics of from last year coming in to the 2011 fall? I have heard a wide range of numbers, but am interested in your experience's. 20"? more? less?

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Bucky

Re: How many inches in a year?

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:00 pm

This is a tough question to answer. I have been fortunate to get to see 1st hand on a managed property how bucks can grow from yr to yr in different locations in WI (I have also seen 1st hand a lot of trophy class bucks die to natural causes). There are avgs and outliers with each age class jump. 2yr to 3yr and 3yr to 4yr a whitetail with the proper ingredients and genetics can make some awesome jumps (30-40"s). On average, I would say from 2yr to 3yr old is typically around 25"s + or - 10"s. Maybe a slightly lower jump from 3yr to 4yr old on avg. At least on the properties I have been able to follow.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:21 pm

It varys... If the 130 was a 2 year old buck, I would expect about 20 inches but it could be a lot more as Bucky pointed out.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:23 pm

WOW Bucky, thanks for the response. That gives me something to look forward to. I am going to have all of our cameras out this year and hopefully I can catch the particular buck that I am after and hopefully he has gained that much. He should be a 4 year old this summer....He was a 130 class 8 last summer.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Good luck! ;) If I were a betting man I would say next year he will be 137"-145" if he stays 8pts and you're sure he was a 3yr old. Likely will gain more mass and just a touch in tine length/beam length. Again this is just based off of what I have seen here in WI. It is pretty rare animal when straight 8pts gross more than 150"s - although I have seen up to 170" straight 8s = that would be the outlier group :o
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:53 pm

All depends on the particular deer. I've seen 10 inches up to around 40.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:14 pm

After reading about the Field and Stream buck that Bob Decker shot in Buffalo county a few years ago I think the inches can really vary from deer to deer depending on their genes. Below is a paragraph I copied from that story about the antler growth from 2007 to 2008 when he was shot........this is unreal !! :shock:.................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Amazingly, tooth samples indicated the buck was just 3 1/2 years old. He weighed 200 pounds field dressed. The sheds from 2007 grossed 155 inches assuming an 18-inch inside spread. That means the buck put on an incredible 85 inches of antler bone in a single year. Hopefully some of his genes were spread to the local deer herd! Only the future will tell!
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

if you think the buck will go 130 as a 2 yr old..id bet on he will make 150 as a 3 yr old...20 inches is alot for some bucks, but very little for the next buck
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:09 am

I don't know if everyone remembers the buck I posted from July in velvet. The general agreement was that he was a 3 year old and 130 +/- 3" 8pointer. A big 8 is one of my dream bucks. I am putting Dad on a nice 10 so I can have this buck to myself to chase. He is my primary target buck this year. I think I located on of his beds last year scouting, but I think he only beds there when the crops are in. Other than that I haven't found any other beds for sure. I have been dreaming about this buck since I first got pictures of him. I would love to see him 140 to 150. I don't have it in me to pass him if he gives me an opportunity. Thanks for all the great replies everyone.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:24 am

A few years back I subscribed to Deer & Deer Hunting and got free DVD from Dr. Charles Alsheimer.

In this DVD he documented a certain buck until he died of natural causes at something like 9 or 10 year old, I forget exactly.

It depicted antler growth along with body structure, etc. every year for a great visual. It's worth looking for just for these tidbits of information - not to mention other valuable facts, albeit in a large contained area that the Dr. owns, but all around "life of a deer" biography style... It opens your eyes a bit more!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:03 am

Here's a buck I shot in Ohio and his previous years sheds. It was in a prime big buck area. I didn't measure the sheds, but I'd say he took a 10" to 15" increase.

Last edited by Spysar on Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:08 am

Here's a NY buck. He barely made any increase at all.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:24 am

I would say it would have more to do with a percentage rather than inches. A deer here in Jersey is gonna jump up a given percentage from 3-4 years old, but his inches arent gonna be close to what a deer in Iowa would jump from 3-4. For the most part if you slam a buck in the 150s here it would be like shooting a 170- 180 out there. Has to do with the genetic make up of the deer, and their genes adapting to what is best for their enviroment for thousands of years. The deer here are a smaller deer.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:24 am

SWEET! Thanks for the awesome picture comparison Spysar. Man you know how to get it done that is for sure.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:27 am

here is one of my favorite bucks that I have sheds from each season...
Bottom center is 1 year old / score if other matches around: 85
Left side single shed is 2 years old / score if other matches around: 120
Center matched set mounted on plack is 3 years old / would score around 145
Lower picture is the buck shot at 4 years old scoring in the upper 160's gross.

Interesting that his brows jumped to 9 and 10 inches when he hit 4 y/o
All the rest of the sheds had short brows. I have noticed a brow lenth jump at 4 y/o with other bucks too...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”