What Scientists Learned that Changed How They Hunt Mature Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: What Scientists Learned that Changed How They Hunt Mature Bucks

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:19 am

buttonbuck wrote:https://www.deerassociation.com/what-scientists-learned-that-changed-how-they-hunt-mature-bucks/

That’s a great article. I know one of the authors (Jacob Haus) has been on podcasts too, which are very interesting. I can’t remember which podcasts for the life of me. :lol:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:32 am

greenhorndave wrote:
buttonbuck wrote:https://www.deerassociation.com/what-scientists-learned-that-changed-how-they-hunt-mature-bucks/

That’s a great article. I know one of the authors (Jacob Haus) has been on podcasts too, which are very interesting. I can’t remember which podcasts for the life of me. :lol:

Dang, that would be cool to hear. Ive been listening to Tony Petersons podcast Hunt For Real. Its pretty good, dude seems down to earth.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:33 am

Good article, but not all that surprising ;)
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:06 am

That settles it, I'm buying a collar! ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:46 am

That is a good read. Years ago I read an article very similar to this but they tracked the hunters also. One of the bucks in a heavy pressure area stopped moving and many hunters had passed within feet of him multiple times. Thinking the buck was dead they started searching for him they also wondered why the hunters didn’t report it.

Long story short when they found the buck it was alive laying in cattails under water to where only it’s mouth and nostrils stuck out of the water. That was when I learned the extent some bucks go to survive!

It just blows my mind that one bucks will go to that extreme to survive then down the road a mile people name them.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:22 pm

I work with these guys all the time. Knew about the study Bc a lot of it was conducted on private landowners I work with and on the state forest I run. Had no idea they wrote this article. Thanks for the link.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:44 pm

live2hunt wrote:That is a good read. Years ago I read an article very similar to this but they tracked the hunters also. One of the bucks in a heavy pressure area stopped moving and many hunters had passed within feet of him multiple times. Thinking the buck was dead they started searching for him they also wondered why the hunters didn’t report it.

Long story short when they found the buck it was alive laying in cattails under water to where only it’s mouth and nostrils stuck out of the water. That was when I learned the extent some bucks go to survive!

It just blows my mind that one bucks will go to that extreme to survive then down the road a mile people name them.

:shock: Wow. That’s quite a survival tactic.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:53 pm

Excellent read. Basically sums up everything Dan has been teaching forever in a nutshell.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:56 pm

No bucks are in the swamps that I’ve seen. Waste of time
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:26 pm

The place where they had done the study is flat coastal plain and big woods with lots of transition and flood plain bottoms. The swamps and marshes they are talking about where the mature deer are bedded pull dropping thermals into the bedding regardless of wind every evening. Killed this years buck in one of them and spend a ton of time in these areas and very few folks in my area mess with trying to get into them Bc it sucks. The ghost forests they are talking about is where sea level rise has caused salt water intrusion and kills all the mature timber along the marsh edges. So you just see a landscape of dead standing timber shrubs and phragmites 15’ tall and dog hair thick with mud that with swallow you up and tidal water. Trees aren’t safe for hanging a stand and setting up is a challenge with small windows of opportunity. It’s relatable on a lot of levels with what others deal with but just wanted to elaborate on the type of habitat these bucks are occupying where the study was done.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:42 pm

Awesome article, thanks for posting.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:43 pm

It’s interesting that they state mature bucks live in the swamps but young bucks do not, but they said nothing about territory or bedding. I would assume the older bucks are keeping the young bucks out of the secure bedding. Good read.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:21 am

Bigburner wrote:The place where they had done the study is flat coastal plain and big woods with lots of transition and flood plain bottoms. The swamps and marshes they are talking about where the mature deer are bedded pull dropping thermals into the bedding regardless of wind every evening. Killed this years buck in one of them and spend a ton of time in these areas and very few folks in my area mess with trying to get into them Bc it sucks. The ghost forests they are talking about is where sea level rise has caused salt water intrusion and kills all the mature timber along the marsh edges. So you just see a landscape of dead standing timber shrubs and phragmites 15’ tall and dog hair thick with mud that with swallow you up and tidal water. Trees aren’t safe for hanging a stand and setting up is a challenge with small windows of opportunity. It’s relatable on a lot of levels with what others deal with but just wanted to elaborate on the type of habitat these bucks are occupying where the study was done.

Sounds similar to what Litzinger describes when discussing his finds. That tidal water is intimidating to me and I've only seen it's effect from a dock while crabbing.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:01 am

Bigburner wrote:The place where they had done the study is flat coastal plain and big woods with lots of transition and flood plain bottoms. The swamps and marshes they are talking about where the mature deer are bedded pull dropping thermals into the bedding regardless of wind every evening. Killed this years buck in one of them and spend a ton of time in these areas and very few folks in my area mess with trying to get into them Bc it sucks. The ghost forests they are talking about is where sea level rise has caused salt water intrusion and kills all the mature timber along the marsh edges. So you just see a landscape of dead standing timber shrubs and phragmites 15’ tall and dog hair thick with mud that with swallow you up and tidal water. Trees aren’t safe for hanging a stand and setting up is a challenge with small windows of opportunity. It’s relatable on a lot of levels with what others deal with but just wanted to elaborate on the type of habitat these bucks are occupying where the study was done.

If you’re familiar with the Great Lakes high/low water cycle that occurs every idk 30 yrs or something like that.. anyways we are at record highs now but say around 10 yrs back it was near or at record lows. Many islands and pieces of shoreline gained a few hundred yds of frontage that grew up primarily phragmites with some dogwood or willow mixed in. Big winds would still someone’s flood it out or make that area of the lake even lower. Sure was the best hunting I could find.15ft Phragmites caused me to get lost more than once. A fairly well kept secret was even along private property that extra 200 yds or more that occurred from low water times was technically state land so you could hunt below the high water mark. Opened up a lot of ground to me. Anyways I guess I’m just saying I think it was somewhat similar and when I see lots of phrag I’m thinking where’s the big boy cus they sure seem to be in or around em here too.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”