Dead bucks and their hides...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigredneck61088

Dead bucks and their hides...

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:06 pm

This might sound like a dumb post but.... anyone notice their bucks capes color is massively different in color in the same time of year (oct bucks/rut bucks) etc , my buck from this year is very light, also bedding near fields, I have killed two swamp dweller dwellers and they are dark cape deer, hardwoods capes seem to be in the middle.... anyone else notice this? Got my mount from 2020 back and took a step back and was amazed at the colors I was seeing from different bucks as I knew he bedded where he was sunlit, is this a future scouting tool??? It could also be genetics and a waste of a post, but the bucks on my wall I generally know where they lived and it makes sense, hopefully Dan, joe, Andy, can add something to this....

tim
500 Club

Re: Dead bucks and their hides...

Unread postby tim » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:45 pm

Every place I hunt around my state (wisconsin) I see no corelation with color of hides. Some are light some are dark some red some grey I’d say it’s more genetic than anything IMO. The buck I killed this year has a really dark forehead with a red Mohawk and grey muzzle he kinda has it all, prettiest cape I’ve seen in a long time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”