Circuit Rider- Andrae D'Acquisto Article

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stuart
500 Club

Circuit Rider- Andrae D'Acquisto Article

Unread postby Stuart » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:10 pm

I found another great article about Andrae and thought I would post it to share the knowledge,enjoy!

Circuit Rider-when it comes to taking big whitetail bucks, impatience could be a virtue.

MOST PEOPLE, having seen a Pope and Young-class buck from their treestand, will hunt that stand from daylight until dark, perhaps even for days on end. Even if they know it would be best to move, they just can't let the image of the big buck go. When they finally do move, it's against their nature. But Lone Wolf Lone Wolf, d. 1879, Kiowa Chief. He led some Kiowas on raids in 1874 after his son had been killed by whites, but he was defeated and with a number of followers was deported to Florida, where he remained in military confinement for three years; he died one year after
..... Click the link for more information. Treestands' owner Andrae D'Acquisto is a different sort of bowhunter.

You see, D'Acquisto, a super successful Wisconsin bowhunter with 18 P&Y-class bucks under his belt, has had more than his share of close encounters with big whitetails. And he has shown a knack for knowing when to move from one stand to another. You might say he's impatient, but his record speaks volumes about his technique, which is based on hunting a circuit of multiple stands--all in one day.

I recently sat down with Andrae D'Acquisto, who is an associate of mine, to get a sense of how this circuit method works.

"Look at fishing," Andrae began. "If you're bass fishing, for instance, you fish shallow in the morning. But you don't sit there all day just waiting for the bass, because they move out to the deep weed lines at midday. So, you move to deeper water when the fish are there, and then you move back to the shallows as evening comes. That's what I do when I hunt."

Last year D'Acquisto and Lone Wolf senior prostaff member Brad Konhert had to quickly formulate a plan for hunting land they had subleased from Timberland Trophy Outfitters. The first day or two they just scanned terrain, using good topo maps, a handy ATV.

"Once I figured out the basic terrain and how the bucks were using it, I created a circuit of stands that put me in front of bucks during morning, late morning, midday, and evening," he said. "I'm just not patient enough to sit all day, even during the peak of the rut. I prefer going after the animals, rather than waiting for them to come to me."

D'Acquisto and Kunhert planned to hunt the new property unguided and to hang their own stands, because D'Acquisto is a major proponent One who offers or proposes.

They would scout, hunt a little from each stand, and scout some more. In the process, the two hunters saw over a dozen record book-class bucks. Kunhert took a respectable 9-pointer and D'Acquisto set his sights on a huge 12-pointer that was said to be roaming the area.

"During the next few days we hung stands in several locations among the 400 acres we had to hunt," D'Acquisto continued. "We had field-edge stands for the morning and evening. We had stands in bedding areas for late morning. We had wacky stands between woodlots for midday."

All the bases were covered. D'Acquisto was ready.

"On one morning hunt I saw five really nice bucks working a field," D'Acquisto said. "But they weren't within shooting range. A lot of guys would have waited for those bucks the rest of the day. Instead, I left the spot and tried to find the deer as they headed for their bedding areas."

He waited on stand for some time in a place where he suspected the deer were bedding. When nothing showed up there, he moved to a very unlikely midday stand.

"During the rut, a lot of guys will sit all day," he said. "Or they'll go in for lunch. That's when I'll sit a transition area that most folks might consider a bit ridiculous, say a very sparse sparse - A sparse matrix (or vector, or array) is one in which most of the elements are zero. If storage space is more important than access speed, it may be preferable to store a sparse matrix as a list of (index, value) pairs or use some kind of hash scheme or associative memory.

Regardless, it takes a lot of confidence to get down out of a tree when big bucks have just been sighted. But when D'Acquisto knows that the deer could be headed for another spot on his circuit of stands, he's not afraid to get aggressive.

After several days on that hunt, D'Acquisto bumped a hot doe and a nice buck while he was changing spots. It didn't deter him. "If you spook a hot doe, you will most likely be able to find her again in the same area the next morning. Don't be afraid to move around just because you're worried about blowing out a few deer in the process," he said.

"I was pretty certain the big buck would return to the doe's bed the next morning, so that evening I set up a stand right over her bed in hopes of a morning ambush (language) AMBUSH - A language for linear programming problems in a materials processing and transportation network.

The plan worked perfectly. The big buck followed the doe back to her bed the next morning, and D'Acquisto buried an arrow in his vitals vi·tals
pl.n.
1. The vital body organs.

2. The parts that are essential to continued functioning, as of a system. . The buck grossed 171 inches despite having a broken second time on one side.

BACK IN 2002, the same tactic worked for D'Acquisto on land he owns in southeastern Wisconsin, and it produced a buck with antlers Cuckoldry measuring 168 inches.

"I'd been hunting a field edge that had some great sign around it," he said. "I sat in the morning and didn't see anything, so I decided to get down and do some scouting scouting: see Boy Scouts; Girl Scouts. scouting

Activities of various national and worldwide organizations for youth aimed at developing character, citizenship, and individual skills. Scouting began when Robert S. ."

Scouting a place he considered a hot zone for the property's big bucks, D'Acquisto quickly found what he was looking for. Trees as thick as his legs were torn to shreds, and tracks in the soft marsh mud verified the size of the beast that was making his mark.

"I bumped an animal out while I was scouting," he said. "It was about a 130-class buck, but his tracks weren't as large as the ones belonging to the buck that had molested

Although the buck he saw clearly wasn't the biggest one there, D'Acquisto assumed that the bigger buck would follow the same pattern. And he was certain that both deer were harassing a hot doc he'd seen the day before.

"I abandoned the stand I had sat that morning and placed three new ones," D'Acquisto said. "One was on an exit route from the bedding area and another was on what I thought was the entrance route. My plan was to sit one stand the next morning and the other the morning after that."

Two parts of D'Acquisto's three-stand circuit were ready. Now he had to set up the third stand.

"When I bumped the 130-class buck, he never saw me. And because I had approached from downwind down·wind
adv.
In the direction in which the wind blows.

downwind , I knew he hadn't smelled me. I was certain there was a hot doe in there that never left, so I decided to set up an evening stand just outside this swamp and along the way to a food source. I figured the bucks in the area would be back to visit that doe."

Sure enough, that evening D'Acquisto heard some deer exiting their beds and working their way out of the swamp. A few small does appeared first, followed by the 130-class buck. Behind him was a mature doe--trailed by the big boy.

"Again I took him based on my circuit approach, even though I got the buck on the first part of the circuit," D'Acquisto said. "Some people might say it was a waste of time to set up those other two stands for morning sits, because I killed the buck that first night. However, that's simply not the case. When you see the sign is right, and the rut is heating up, you need to have the entire circuit ready to go so you can relocate at a moment's notice,"

RELATED ARTICLE: Obey the wind.

HUNTING WHEN the wind is wrong is far more risky than moving frequently.

"I have no fear of relocating a stand right in a bedding area if the wind says I need to," D'Acquisto said. "I would rather relocate a stand and risk being pinched in the process than sit a post that is wrong for the wind. You should be able to reset a stand quietly in 10 minutes if you know the equipment you're using. That little bit of time you're at risk while setting up in a new location is a much better gamble than going against the wind."

WHILE HUNTING action will always dictate where and when you need to relocate, D'Acquisto does suggest a few general guidelines for planning a stand circuit.

Early Morning: Dawn-9a.m.

Hunt a field edge and hope to catch deer leaving a field after a long night of feeding. If the action is hot, sit longer. If the field grows dormant Latent; inactive; silent. That which is dormant is not used, asserted, or enforced.

A dormant partner is a member of a partnership who has a financial interest yet is silent, in that he or she takes no control over the business. , move.

Midmorning mid·morn·ing
n.
The middle of the morning. : 9:30 a.m.-11 a.m. a.m.

Abandon field edges and take up a position in a transition area where you might intercept deer on their way to safety. Typically, sit here until about 11:30 a.m.

The Crap Shoot: 11:30 a.m.- 1:30 p.m.

This is the time to try something "weird." That could mean sitting on a field edge between two woodlots, or posting by the parking lot of your hunting area. A trail out in the open where bucks normally travel only at night can be a gold mine during the rut. Look for "weird" trees that most hunters would pass up because of their lack of cover. Deer are curious animals that get smart quickly when hunted. A well-placed stand in a small tree that "shouldn't be able to hold a hunter" can be hot for midday excursions.

Evening: 2 p.m.-Dusk

Move to a field edge where you might find a hot doe searching for food. Field edges are great towards evening because big bucks will be looking for estrous es·trous

Exceptions to the Rule

if you find a hot doe, throw all of the above rules out the window. A doe that is ready to breed will pull bucks from miles around. This situation takes precedence over all others, and is indeed when you can score big. Go to extremes not to spook the doe: she is the key to a successful circuit.
Last edited by Stuart on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stuart
500 Club

Re: Circuit Rider- Andrae D'Acquisto Article

Unread postby Stuart » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:11 pm

Sorry I copied a little extra bit and you will know when you see it...sorry :oops:
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:35 pm

I'm not trying to take away from Andreas success but when I read:
" hunting land they had subleased from Timberland Trophy Outfitters."
"In the process, the two hunters saw over a dozen record book-class bucks."
"On one morning hunt I saw five really nice bucks working a field," D'Acquisto said."

I wonder how hard it really would be to take a big buck there. Also, it's easy to be aggressive with so many target animals running around. I do understand the thought process though. Certain places probably hold higher %'s at certain times of the day.
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:50 am

I know what you are trying to say and it would be nice if I lived in an area like this but I guess you just work with what you got.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 pm

magicman54494 wrote:I'm not trying to take away from Andreas success but when I read:
" hunting land they had subleased from Timberland Trophy Outfitters."
"In the process, the two hunters saw over a dozen record book-class bucks."
"On one morning hunt I saw five really nice bucks working a field," D'Acquisto said."

I wonder how hard it really would be to take a big buck there. Also, it's easy to be aggressive with so many target animals running around. I do understand the thought process though. Certain places probably hold higher %'s at certain times of the day.

Andrea differs to me in the fact that he is not hunting trophy bucks. What most consider trophys he don't. He cut his teeth starting out hunting public land, then started getting permission on private, then started looking at leases and eventually buying great lands in several states.
His goals and mine are what greatly differ. I enjoy shooting mature bucks, he is out to set new records.
You can only shoot the world or state record if your hunting the land it lives on. Therefore, he will lease or buy a property based on it having the right animal.
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:28 pm

Andrea keeps raising the bar each and every year trying to shoot an even bigger buck and is one of the best at it...but will there come a time where he just can't shoot a bigger buck or just can't find one. I wouldn't doubt Andrae would throw in the towel very easy.
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:48 pm

I think he'll continue to set records! we're talking about a guy that passes deer that you and I drool over, I think patience is the key with andrae, and setting the bar high makes it more challenging and keeps it fun!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”