Hunting Beast on The Hunting Public

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Hunting Beast on The Hunting Public

Unread postby Clevinger » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:31 am

I haven’t posted in a long time, but I learned almost all my tactics on this website and have had success with them. I also have the Hunting Beast videos, which are excellent.

I have been watching The Hunting Public and most enjoyed the episodes with Dan and other Hunting Beast staff in Minnesota and Michigan (nice buck in Minnesota, guys).

I like how you explain your thought processes and set ups. However, what I found most helpful from those episodes is your failures and mishaps. I mean no offense, so let me explain. I think Dan is one of the best deer hunters in the country, and I had the impression you had almost godlike powers to descend on massive bucks. Thus, it was helpful to see you with uneventful sits, getting water in your boots, getting caught in a downpour, etc. Those are humanizing moments for all of us, and it makes me feel better about my own ups and downs hunting. Failure is simply part of the process, and hunting shows that are simply highlight reels aren’t realistic.

Thanks for all you guys do for the sport!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting Beast on The Hunting Public

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:57 am

Thanks... Thats good feedback... I think often other filmers dont want to show their weakness, and only want to look perfect, or maybe they see no value in failure... The older I get, the more I think the struggles and eventually overcoming them, is the best stuff...
PublicLand

Unread postby PublicLand » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:54 am

Dan is real . A part of nature, not a chosen salesman

Unlimited time, unlimited budget and fenced,fed and bred deer might as well be cattle
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:57 am

dan wrote:Thanks... Thats good feedback... I think often other filmers dont want to show their weakness, and only want to look perfect, or maybe they see no value in failure... The older I get, the more I think the struggles and eventually overcoming them, is the best stuff...

Absolutely.

It occurred to me that 99% of hunting literature is focused on when to set up, where to set up, what to use, etc. The end result is usually a giant buck, and failures often aren’t shown. Ironically, most hunts don’t go like this. Thus, it is helpful to see failures both for morale’s sake and to learn to adjust. There is an opportunity there. It connects you with your audience.

It was interesting in those episodes to hear your thought process on how to progress through an unfamiliar territory, even after unsuccessful hunts. I have to give The Hunting Public credit in this regard too.

Did you know Jake from The Hunting Public prior to those episodes? I noticed you hunted together and are both from Wisconsin.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:58 am

PublicLand wrote:

Unlimited time, unlimited budget and fenced,fed and bred deer might as well be cattle

Well said.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:36 am

Clevinger wrote:
dan wrote:Thanks... Thats good feedback... I think often other filmers dont want to show their weakness, and only want to look perfect, or maybe they see no value in failure... The older I get, the more I think the struggles and eventually overcoming them, is the best stuff...

Absolutely.

It occurred to me that 99% of hunting literature is focused on when to set up, where to set up, what to use, etc. The end result is usually a giant buck, and failures often aren’t shown. Ironically, most hunts don’t go like this. Thus, it is helpful to see failures both for morale’s sake and to learn to adjust. There is an opportunity there. It connects you with your audience.

It was interesting in those episodes to hear your thought process on how to progress through an unfamiliar territory, even after unsuccessful hunts. I have to give The Hunting Public credit in this regard too.

Did you know Jake from The Hunting Public prior to those episodes? I noticed you hunted together and are both from Wisconsin.

I 1st met Aaron when he worked with Bill Winki... He introduced me to the rest of the crew.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:03 am

The hunting BEAST is the real deal! It's all about real life hunting. The highs and the lows. Good post Clevinger.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:17 pm

So true on others showing only successful outings. We all want things to go our way, but I always find my failures are what teach me the most....not only hunting, but life in general.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:24 pm

The THP boys often credit Dan as a huge influence on them and their style of hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”