Hill Country Evening Movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tvirgets

Hill Country Evening Movement

Unread postby Tvirgets » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:28 pm

I’ve been hunting some hill country the last couple weekends. Really just scouting with my bow. I ended up finding a ridge system with some good sign and bumped a deer. He was on a likely bedding point uphill from the best sign I found. so i feel it could have been a good buck. Going to go after him this weekend.

What have you all seen bucks do in the evenings in hill country? Seems to me it would make sense for them to immediately drop down to scent check everything (it will be low winds here this weekend so I expect the evening thermals to dominate). This is pretty rugged terrain. About 150-200’ elevation change but pretty steep and narrow ridge tops (5-15 yds wide) and plenty of deep cuts/blow downs etc that would make it difficult for deer to travel on 1 elevation line other than up top

Thoughts?

backstraps

Re: Hill Country Evening Movement

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:31 am

This time of year id guess he is going straight to a food source
Tvirgets

Unread postby Tvirgets » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:56 am

Around here, it’s likely that there is still the occasional doe going into heat
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:36 am

I agree, food source. Is there a preferred food source in the bottom or beyond that would pull him in that direction?

Based on your description, the deer sign down low would indicate he's moving down. He can probably see a fair distance down that way for safe travel and then picks up thermals once he reaches bottom? Set up just out of view from the bedding.

Its become one of my favorite strategies. Set up low on thick points especially if the prevailing wind was blowing across the point all day long. Once the wind dies and thermals take over, slip in and catch him wrapping around the point.
Shoot Straight
Tvirgets

Unread postby Tvirgets » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:43 am

Thanks for the response! As far as food, the entire area is nothing but thick hardwoods. So there are oaks of all types. Unfortunately, I have not been in the area enough to identify exactly where the hot oaks are.

That being said, the biggest, most fresh rubs where all on this one point, heading down to the bottom. And in the bottom is where I am finding the most scrapes as well. The way it lays out, any buck would be able to smell anything in the area if they go down hill in the evening, straight out of their bed.

Even if he was feeding up top, I would think he would want to go down first to stage/check thermals. Has anyone noticed that type of buck movement? Or is he just as likely to just head straight to the top of the ridge and start feeding?
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:58 am

You should check out this podcast by three of the best out there talk hill country strategy.
https://www.themeateater.com/listen/wir ... d-andy-may

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”