Let’s talk out of state hunting trips

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JP BowHunter

Let’s talk out of state hunting trips

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:06 am

I’m blessed with a work schedule that could allow me to make some quick hunting trips to adjacent states. I’m thinking of heading to an area and just staying in the truck at night, pounding the ground all day to see what I can do.

My question is to those of you that do this sort of thing what are the things that you do to prepare? What type of place do you look for? What types of things do you take along with you? What are your strategies for getting the harvest back?

I’ve listened to some podcasts and things that talk about some of this, but in my opinion they never really get far enough into the details, which I’m sure is hard to do in a 1 hour session.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Let’s talk out of state hunting trips

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:29 am

I hunted out of state this year.
At a few public areas in northeast Kentucky at James Keebler wma.

Their camping was closed due to covid which threw a wrench in my plans. The areas also had no sleeping on the parking lot signs. So I found the nearest pilot truck stop about 15 miles from the wma. Parked in the back as remote as I could get slept for a week their.

Wasn't too bad.

If I had rented a hotel I would've spent way more by 300 dollers at least and would've only gotten 5 hours of sleep each night. Not worth it in my opinion.

I didn't kill on my trip but I would sleep at truck stops again the first night or two is the roughest to get used to it.

Hopefully you can freely camp when you hunt out of state.
As far as game transport I would bring meat back if I could if not just the rack and give the meat to Hunters for the hungry or a local.

Things I recommend bringing.

Extra socks if your wet feet at night you can't just go dry them easily. Ky due to green burrs i went through a new pair of socks everyday I hunted. The burrs were by the thousands covered the socks. So take a entire new package of socks.

Snacks, chex mix ,Jerky ect. Buying it at truck stops cost way more in the long run.

When I hunted ky the grass up their was really sharp and filled with these green burrs. Our grasshere in tn is nothing like what i found myself in up in ky. So plan for the unexpected events of the area your going too.

Get a oil change and basic maintenance before a long trip.

Keep drinks in the vehicle this sounds obvious but when you get back from hunting in heat you can easily be dehydrated and driving 20 miles to the nearest fast food or gas station isn't fun for a drink.

Keep plenty of toilet paper in the car.

Keep a backup bow release in car if your bowhunting.

I know most of this is basic but it can makes the trip way more enjoyable.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:50 am

JP BowHunter wrote:I’m blessed with a work schedule that could allow me to make some quick hunting trips to adjacent states. I’m thinking of heading to an area and just staying in the truck at night, pounding the ground all day to see what I can do.

My question is to those of you that do this sort of thing what are the things that you do toprepare? What type of place do you look for? What types ofthings do you take alongwith you? What are your strategies for getting the harvest back?

I’ve listened to some podcasts and things that talk about some of this, but in my opinion they never really get far enough into the details, which I’m sure is hard to do in a 1 hour session.

I've been doing this a lot the last few years, so I will give it my best shot.

Preparation
First things first, I like to set a rough budget. I.e. I want to spend $X on tags, $X on gas, $X on lodging, $X on food, etc. Then I decide which state(s) I am going to hunt. Then I find out if it is OTC or draw. If it is a draw, set a reminder alarm on my phone when the draw period opens. There is some good hunting in draw states where draw odds are almost 100% in some areas, so don't completely overlook a draw tag.

Once I have a budget and state(s) picked out, then I move on to harvest/trophy data for the state. I'm usually hunting public land, so I look for an area that has a fair amount of public land and at least average (or better) trophy potential for the given state. If you settle on an area, its a good idea to look up taxidermist in the area. I usually have a local guy cape the deer because I'm not comfortable caping out a face. Once the deer is caped, I will break it down myself.

What type of place do you look for?

If I am traveling, I am trying to go to states with equal to or better than opportunities as my home state. Sometimes that means less deer, but better age class. Or the same age class, but more deer. Specifically, I am looking for an area with good trophy potential (relatively to the rest of the target state). Although, I generally avoid the really big name places. For example, I wouldnt hunt Buffalo Co. WI or Pike Co. IL, because they get so much press on the internet. I like to look for "tier 2" or "tier 3" destinations. Once I find a few of those areas, I check out the public via aerials/topos, and try and find a good balance of huntable acreage. That's usually where I will end up, at least as a starting point.

What types ofthings do you take alongwith you?

I try and keep it to bare essentials, because a truck fills up quickly. Mostly obvious stuff: Bow, arrows, Binos/Spotter (super essential to me), two or three pairs of boots and lots of extra socks, treestand,GPS, Phone, knife, headlamp, USB Battery bank or two to charge my phone on the go. Cooler big enough to hold a quartered deer already filled with ice, I try and stock up on groceries and fluids before I leave to save $$$, saran wrap, cutting board. Some type of small stove/jetboil for a hot meal. Sleeping bag, pillow. I usually just sleep in the passenger's seat of my truck (no pedals to annoy your feet). I like to park the truck facing uphill if possible, so when the seat is reclined its almost as flat as a bed.

Tactics
I'm going to add this category, because I think its the most important part to being successful. Have MULTIPLE spots cyber scouted. I'm talking 5-10 properties in a 1-30 mile radius AND have MULTIPLE AREAS. What I mean is lets say you find 5 good looking properties in a certain 30 mile radius, try and find 5 more outside that 30 mile radius, and maybe 5 more outside of that. It is super important in my opinion to burn through as much ground in the first day or two of the trip to find some worth hunting. Do not stop moving until you find an area that looks great or, even more preferably you see target deer while scouting, glassing, or sitting observation stand. Also, the single biggest thing I think I have learned is to spend time scouting the first day or two of any trip. You will probably be in a rush to get in the woods and setup. Resist that urge until you find an area you have confidence in because 1. The sign is there, 2. You see target animal(s) scouting, glassing, observing.

What are your strategies for getting the harvest back

I kind of already covered this, but I try and find a taxidermist or two in an area so they can cape deer. If I shoot one at night, I'll put a bag or two of ice in chest cavity and take it to taxidermist first thing next morning. If I shoot one in the morning, I head straight to taxidermist. Once the deer is caped, I quarter it and put it on ice (I put the ice in gallon zip lock bags, so when it melts it doesnt get the meat all wet...or not as bad anyway). If I have a fair bit to drive, once the meat is cool, I wrap it in saran wrap and then butcher as soon as I get home.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:39 am

Seazofcheese has a ton of good information there. I would add that you need to know your states laws, and any states you maybe going through regarding, bringing in big game. For example in MN you can't bring in the brain or spine of a deer, so if you cape out your buck you have to remove the skull cap and clean up the inside. Also if you're doing a euro mount same thing you have to get the brain out before entering the state if you're from here, but if you're passing through then it's not an issue.

Also for keeping meat cool in a cooler, I freeze a bunch of half gallon milk jugs, 2 liter bottles gator aid bottles and any other that size. Fill them up 3/4 of the way so they don't pop when frozen. Works great for keeping water off the meat and they stay frozen for a long time.

I like to plan out my meals ahead of time, so you're not buying extra things. Breakfast is usually mini doughnuts, or breakfast burritos. Lunch I'm in the field so pre made sandwiches, or crackers/cheese/meat. Then dinner is typically a beef stew or soup, Brats something nice and warm that I can cook in a pot with little effort. For smacks I like to bring peanut butter filled pretzels, Combos, jerky, candy bars and that.

For clothing I always plan for both hot weather and cold weather, I've hunted Nebraska in November when it's been 60 all the way down to single digits with out wind chill.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:53 am

question is to those of you that do this sort of thing what are the things that you do to prepare?

Cyber scout, then post season scouting before committing. When it's hunt time I'll spend the first day in season scouting for pressure then sign.

What type of place do you look for?

Furthest from major cities. Places with very little or negative internet attention. Boat access. Ag when possible, then avoid it, assuming it'll attract some of the pressure. Clear-cuts not on OnX yet.

What types of things do you take along with you? What are your strategies for getting the harvest back? Coolers with frozen bottles. Frame pack. Jet boil. Battery back up. Extra headlamp in the truck. Tp. Wet wipes for Hill Billy showers.
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:54 am

Awesome responses so far thanks!

Do any of you use the freeze dried food packs?
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:41 am

JP BowHunter wrote:Awesome responses so far thanks!

Do any of you use the freeze dried food packs?

I don't for truck camping, no real need to go the freeze dried route. Plus I've never had any that were really that good, and you have room in your truck/coolers for real food.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:10 am

Depends on what your goals are. Can be as simple as you want it or as planned as you want it.

If you have the ability to make multiple short duration trips, you have the luck of being able to leverage what you know faster and at greater impact IMO. As compared to say a once a year, one week foray.

Travel logistics IMO are probably the most underrated component; finding a place to stay, camp, meat locker and other services (if applicable), etc. become a factor to consider.

The fun thing is you can make them as simple or as complex as you want them to be. I do think they make you a better hunter and also give you a chance to see how your skills are building (or waning).
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:20 am

Thanks for the reply Phade.

Looks like I must have posted my question twice (sorry) maybe one of the mods can merge the two for us.
Stretch
500 Club

Unread postby Stretch » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:50 am

i do alot of traveling and sleeping in my truck. my advice is keep it simple, the less gear, cooking stuff etc... the better when living out of your truck. lots of cyber scouting but there is no substitute for boots on the ground imo. just go and have fun trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together.
"Let's go brandon, i agree" JOE BIDEN
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:57 am

JP BowHunter wrote:
Looks like I must have posted my question twice (sorry) maybe one of the mods can merge the two for us.

Done
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:05 am

I like to look for property that get little to no pressure. They are out there it just may take some searching. Good property is hard to find on the internet. If you find it easy on the internet its probably pressured. Look for smaller pieces of land that can be scouted and hunted in a few days or less.

The stuff I take depends on the amount of days I'm staying and distance traveled. 0-3 days I take Bow, release, arrows ,tree stand, cleaning stuff, clothes, sleeping stuff, cooler with light food and something to drink. 4-10 days a few more comfort items like a tent and table maybe generator and some better food. Depends on the camping situation. 10 - 23 days I bring a buddy and he brings 3 of everything except a kitchen sink.

I usually skin then de bone what I kill, then bring it back in a cooler. I have use the cheap cooler bags from walmart, they pack good and will keep meat pretty well. On the long stays I take a freezer.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:07 am

I got it in my playbook to give this a go a few times this year. My out of state trips right now are usually for a week or more at a time, but I would like to try a couple over night trips this year.
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:18 am

Dewey wrote:
JP BowHunter wrote:

Done

I think I was commenting while you were merging and messed it up. If so my bad
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:20 am

Tribute80 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
JP BowHunter wrote:

Done

I think I was commenting while you were merging and messed it up. If so my bad

No problem. Just merged it over and deleted extra thread.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”