Upcoming Trends?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KLEMZ

Re: Upcoming Trends?

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:56 pm

Jurist wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:
live2hunt wrote:I think the trend will be e-bikes

Agree! I modded a 25 year old mountain bike with an electric motor kit and it was AWESOME to use this season!

Do you have any pics of this?

Here's a few pics...

The front wheel is a Leeds 250W kit. The big silver hub is the motor. The camo pack on the back bike rack is the battery, stuffed inside an old muck boot top for protection. I took a pic of the pedals because they are awesome to use with big boots on, they have metal studs on the oversized pedal to really lock your boot on. The small button on the handle bar grip is the power button..it's either on or it's off. Pretty simple. Works very well.

Two scenarios have worked for me using the ebike. One property has miles of maintained (by the DNR), mowed hiking paths. I can zip around and scout or hunt different sections much faster than hiking. I just dump the bike in the brush and go. Another useful advantage of the ebike is parking in a parking lot, but biking to a distant spot and just diving into the cover when you are to your access spot. Very stealthy.

Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:08 pm

That is sweet, I have a mountain bike that I really haven’t used in years, that this may be a perfect use for.

Thanks for the pics and the idea.
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:51 am

The guys down here are going with the electric bikes - we get 3-5 day WMA hunts and you go a handful of guys ready to go as soon as they open at like 0400 and those guys hop on them e-bikes and whoosh! Gone!
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:03 am

szwampdonkey wrote:The trend i think, or hope, will go away is 6.5 Creedmoor hate. Never understood the haters on it and i don’t even own one.

A rifle is a rifle to me. I know they kill deer dead for sure, maybe i’ll go get myself one to add to the collection.

6.5 Creedmoor is the Nickelback of rifles.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:29 am

Tim H wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:The trend i think, or hope, will go away is 6.5 Creedmoor hate. Never understood the haters on it and i don’t even own one.

A rifle is a rifle to me. I know they kill deer dead for sure, maybe i’ll go get myself one to add to the collection.

If you love ‘em everyone knows you do!

If you don’t publicly love them! You secretly you!
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:35 am

A jet pack to get up in a tree, and a 20' stripper pole to go down. Screw climbing sticks. Kidding- but I would say the trend toward saddles and cell cams and more innovation. I can see cell cams going to more of a compact webcam version.
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:41 am

nsmith253 wrote:This is probably way too big picture, but I think demographics explain a ton of the media and tactics/equipment trends described in this thread. A factor in the future trends of deer hunting will be the transfer of land ownership over the next 15-20 years. Not trying to make this political, just looking at the data, we know the Baby Boomers have ~55% of the nation’s wealth, while Gen X and Millennials have about ~16% and ~5% respectively, and of course Gen Z less than that.

Depending on how you define those generations, younger Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z now make up probably 95%+ of the guys healthy enough to be hunting the way we talk about on the Beast. There’s also been a large rural to urban migration over the last 20 years following the job market, especially for us younger folks (I’m 29, for reference). Data also shows that we’re delaying marriage, homeownership, and having kids much longer than previous generations.

You have geographic concentrations of young hunters in prime health with not a ton of money, lower land ownership rates, and less access to other private land. But we have more free time, less obligations with kids or ties to one place. We also have the benefits of the latest technology, whether it’s learning the tactics online or watching YouTube, using satellite photos or OnX, or the lightest equipment to cover more ground and make it easier to get to those *spots*. We’re also the ones watching a lot of the “new media” of hunting, like The Hunting Beast, THP, MeatEater and many others. We see guys having success and of course want to emulate that.

All that is a long-winded way to say here’s my prediction: As the older generation passes on or otherwise cannot maintain those traditional deer camp or recreational properties, a ton of them are going to be coming onto the market and will drive down prices. Of the people my age who have moved to the suburbs/city and have family who own land unfortunately very few are interested beyond the money they can get out of it (speaking generally). They’ll AirBnB the cabin, lease the land, or they’ll sell it.

That will coincide with my age group (+/- 5 years) of hunters settling down in one place, starting to think about our families, our futures, and the legacies we’ll leave. I think there will be a shift in the media that follows from hardcore public hunting to sustainable management and harvesting on smaller tracts of private land for wildlife, because that will be more obtainable for the average guy than it is today. Think what Steve Rinella and Mark Kenyon are doing with the Back 40 series on YouTube. This combined with the hopeful continued success of initiatives to secure more public land across the country will reduce some of the increase of pressure we're currently seeing on public.

I would say this is correct. I just payed for 260 trees to be delivered this spring for habitat improvements on my in-laws farm. They have deer but it could be a lot better with a little effort. I plan to plant trees every year going forward.

I finally got them to stop haying a few small pieces and I put up a stand for my father in law on one spot they didn’t hay. He hunted an hour for his buck and the lightbulb finally went on. 3 bales worth a $150 or better deer hunting.

I have a friend who planted 20,000 trees on his land to improve the deer habitat. He’s owned the land for over 5 years and doesn’t even deer hunt it. Just wants to see more wildlife. Right now he hunts out west on huge tracks of public. He said some day he’ll deer hunt his stuff when he’s old and when he dies there will still be the trees and hopefully lots of deer for someone else.
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:57 am

Seriously, mullets, ground hunts and heavy rattling sequences.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:57 am

Tim H wrote:

The reason why people hate on the creedmoor is because it is ballistically inferior to other rifles. The ballistic coefficient does give it an edge against many of them for extreme long range, but most people aren’t accurate beyond 300-400 yards anyway.

Compare ballistics to the 25-06. It’s faster and shoots flatter than the 6.5.

I’ve said all along if they renamed the 25-06 to .257 hellcat (or something with an edgy name) people would obsess over it just as much as the creedmoor.
nsmith253

Unread postby nsmith253 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:23 am

Lockdown wrote:
Tim H wrote:

The reason why people hate on the creedmoor is because it is ballistically inferior to other rifles. The ballistic coefficient does give it an edge against many of them for extreme long range, but most people aren’t accurate beyond 300-400 yards anyway.

Compare ballistics to the 25-06. It’s faster and shoots flatter than the 6.5.

I’ve said all along if they renamed the 25-06 to .257 hellcat (or something with an edgy name) people would obsess over it just as much as the creedmoor.

Just picked up a 25-06 last year, S&W I-Bolt (23" Thompson/Center barrel, factory Timney trigger) with a Nikon Monarch 3.5-10x50 and couple boxes of shells for $300. Didn't have a chance to use it on game this season but I've really enjoyed it at the range, really flat round and a soft shooter. I can see why they're popular out West. About the only ammo I've been able to consistently find during these crazy times as well.
Nate
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:44 am

Believe trends are mostly regional. Hate to say it and hope this doesn’t offend anyone. But in my parts I see a growing trend of saying screw the actual hunting. Just spend $2,500 and go to a shooting farm and pick u one out that will go along with your den motif. 100% guaranteed kill and if a over night stay in our luxurious cabin is wanted consider a combo hunt with one of our pen raised exotics. Simmer in your success as u indulge in wine tasting and our Bree!

Nothing says u know what u are doing quite like a large white horned farmed buck. Face paint not provided but highly encouraged.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:07 pm

More "bad" self filmed hunts on youtube...sorry, my 2$
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:00 pm

creepingdeth wrote:More "bad" self filmed hunts on youtube...sorry, my 2$

And more hunting “experts” who have a year or two total under the belts and no kills. But hey they got a YouTube channel so they must be good
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:30 pm

Jonny wrote:
creepingdeth wrote:More "bad" self filmed hunts on youtube...sorry, my 2$

And more hunting “experts” who have a year or two total under the belts and no kills. But hey they got a YouTube channel so they must be good

Don’t forget podcasts. :lol:
wdog

Unread postby wdog » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:45 am

More guys worrying more about “ gear “ than actually hunting, or woodsman-ship.

Ohh wait that’s already happening :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”