What percent of all hunters are Mobile?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

What percent of all hunters are Mobile?

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:43 am

Really, I am just curious how you all would answer the question. I often wonder what percentage of the hunting population is mobile now (now that it is a hot trend).

I sometimes think it could be as high as 10%. 10 years ago +/-, I used to really follow the hunter numbers from any source I could. From what I remember total hunters used to be around 15-17 million. So just using round numbers lets call it 15 million, 10% would be 1.5 million, cutting that in half is 750 thousand.

Anyone want to take a stab at a guess, or anyone read anything about how many total hunters, and what percent are mobile?

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: What percent of all hunters are Mobile?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:49 pm

The hunting public has 340,000 subscribers on you tube. Most of them are mobile hunters I bet. I’d say close to a million
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:06 pm

Hawthorne wrote:The hunting public has 340,000 subscribers on you tube. Most of them are mobile hunters I bet. I’d say close to a million

Interesting train of thought. There are other channels, then some hunters are and some aren't. Not so certain I disagree with your extrapolation.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:24 pm

I would guess no more than 15%. Probably closer to 8%. No data support for this, just my best guess.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:32 pm

I would say it’s a very small percentage on public unless you include the ground hunters who generally are very mobile. On private it’s obviously even lower. I rarely run into guys packing stands/climbing gear in and out daily on public. Guessing they either ground hunt or sit in illegal stands that were left out.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:43 pm

Well one thing I realized my first year of hunting mobile is..... its alot of work! Very fun and rewarding, dont get me wrong. But I have a feeling many guys purchase a mobile set up and try it out for a short time then revert back to their old ways when they find out the effort involved. So its hard to say but I would agree its got to be on the uptick right now with the popularity of THP and THB.
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:27 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Really, I am just curious how you all would answer the question. I often wonder what percentage of the hunting population is mobile now (now that it is a hot trend).

I sometimes think it could be as high as 10%. 10 years ago +/-, I used to really follow the hunter numbers from any source I could. From what I remember total hunters used to be around 15-17 million. So just using round numbers lets call it 15 million, 10% would be 1.5 million, cutting that in half is 750 thousand.

Anyone want to take a stab at a guess, or anyone read anything about how many total hunters, and what percent are mobile?

I would say less than 10% are mobile whitetail hunters. I found this resent article, https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/cont ... ted-states
KPillinois

Unread postby KPillinois » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:36 pm

The public land i hunt in Illinois had 40-50 hunters per day this year, wayyy more than last year. Not once did i see anybody with climbing sticks and a hang-on.... I see the usual vehicles hunting the same exact spot all year long with permanent heavy hang-ons. I walked one area and found a stand every 50 -75 yards (about 14 stands total in that area, many were climbers they left at base of tree + some heavy hang on stands). Lastly i see a lot of guys park on the roadside and head to a field edge with their climbers, so mobile to an extent i guess. I have never been mobile unless i am on the ground because my sticks were 4 lbs each and my hang on was 17 pounds, but next year I'm a Beast stick guy and gonna be in a light weight hang on stand, and doing pre-season scouting for my first time ever in 6 years of hunting. So i may very well be one of the few hang n hunters in my public area next year, but i walked out 2 miles to a spot i found on the map and found tons of deer but also several pre-hung stands and a ground blind out there...... they were all in the wrong spot though, hundreds of yards from bedding and next year i will be going in mobile. So i am guessing the 10 percent number might be about right ??
I've changed my ways, I'm now looking for big bucks on public land.
littlebuckhunter

Unread postby littlebuckhunter » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Way more than ever and it’s not going away with the advancements in gear. If you think it’ll die down, you’re lying to yourself. A lot of popular shows on YouTube now and it’s only growing.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:56 pm

littlebuckhunter wrote:Way more than ever and it’s not going away with the advancements in gear. If you think it’ll die down, you’re lying to yourself. A lot of popular shows on YouTube now and it’s only growing.

I hunted out of a sub 8 lb stand and rope steps which were readily available 25 years ago. Actually way lighter than my current “lightweight” set up by almost half. Bottom line is a very large majority are just too lazy to set up and tear down every single hunt. Many are all excited about the new gear and then sell it when they find out how much work it is. It might be growing but betting not nearly as fast as everybody thinks.
littlebuckhunter

Unread postby littlebuckhunter » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:17 pm

Dewey wrote:
littlebuckhunter wrote:Way more than ever and it’s not going away with the advancements in gear. If you think it’ll die down, you’re lying to yourself. A lot of popular shows on YouTube now and it’s only growing.

I hunted out of a sub 8 lb stand and rope steps which were readily available 25 years ago. Actually way lighter than my current “lightweight” set up by almost half. Bottom line is a very large majority are just too lazy to set up and tear down every single hunt. Many are all excited about the new gear and then sell it when they find out how much work it is. It might be growing but betting not nearly as fast as everybody thinks.

That’s your opinion. Public land hunting has never been as popular as now. There’s more pressure than ever. There are more resources available like onX, videos, this site that give people the confidence to do it and go anywhere. Climbers are what most public land hunters use and they are lighter and more compact.

Just look at me and you. We haven’t killed a good buck in years on public. It’s tough and getting tougher. We might need to trade our bows in for a camera at this point. It’s been rough on my ego.
Cvanheel

Unread postby Cvanheel » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:50 am

I can't speak for the hunting community as a whole, but I can tell you that I have yet to run into anybody packing in mobile gear in my area. That being said the bowhunting pressure in my part of the country is what i would consider pretty low. I probably only run into another hunter every third trip out.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:06 am

A very small percentage.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
westmichigander

Unread postby westmichigander » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:58 am

Out of all my buddies that hunt, i'm the only one that is truly mobile. One of them will do some mobile but not "mobile"..
I do live in an agriculture area and my buddies tend to have some private land access so I'm sure my sample size is swayed slightly.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:06 am

In my humble opinion, I would guess between 10-15 percent of deer hunters are mobile. The percentage of public land hunters I'd guess to be higher overall versus private land hunters.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”