Read an article today on Mobile Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Read an article today on Mobile Hunting

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:08 pm

So today I was in the library (at least that's what I call it, where all the magazines are and I spend every morning there) and there was an article on mobile hunting.

It was a Woods N Waters (Michigan publication) article. The article started out about how it is such a "hot" trend, and it is. The author stated that it is a hot trend that of course he was in on before it happened, and started talking about the pros and cons. Really the cons. So now all of a sudden the "hot" trend that was dead for years is now boring some. Well not us.

Tell us your take on the "hot" trend. I say it's not a hot trend, its a rejuvenated way of old time hunting. Someone who started this site 10 years ago made it a "hot" trend again and I think its pretty cool that some magazines that at first missed the "hot" trend is now starting to write how its almost over, or at least just a "hot" trend.

No way, just beginning again is my opinion. Long live the mobile hunter. What say you?

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Read an article today on Mobile Hunting

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:16 pm

I think mobile hunting is how hunting occurred for thousands of years. Deer shacks and ladderstands made guys lazy. Thanks to tech and manufacturing improvements, guys can take their stands or saddles with them now pretty easily on every hunt (compared to 30+ years ago, where that was a lot more difficult).

I think its the hot "trend" because it gets results. It's a lot harder for deer to pattern hunters when they're rarely or never in the exact same place.

I agree with Lou, for guys that don't mind a little work and like the improved results, mobile hunting is here to stay.
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:19 pm

I’ve been a mobile hunter for 33 years now. New trend or a hot trend IDK just the only way I want to hunt.
The Spirit Lives On
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:19 pm

Well said cheese.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
PublicLand

Unread postby PublicLand » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:33 pm

Old Indian trick.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:03 pm

Sitting in one spot over and over never appealed to me. I was mobile hunting decades before I found the Beast. Only thing is now I’m in the right spots.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:50 pm

A hot trend yes, but it is definitely something many try and give up after a year or two if they dont have immediate success. Thats when you can get a great deal on some barely used mobile hunting gear. This year there have been a good number of saddles for sale, but there also seems to be plenty of people buying them up soon after they go for sale, so i would say that trend is still hot!
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:11 pm

I think I would be mobile hunting even if it was less effective. Just being honest. Ever since I started out hunting I’ve just always had the desire to see what’s over the next hill.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:37 am

I'd guess that "mobile hunting" is not something new or foreign to just about anyone browsing this site.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:50 am

When I started bow hunting I had 8 screw in steps and a loc-on. I couldn’t guess how many times I screwed those steps in. I was mobile back then because I didn’t have money for other stands. I had no idea that it would be the cool thing to do, it was just what I did.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:00 am

It sure will be interesting to watch how this trend unfolds. I really don't see it going anywhere but up.

New companies are popping up each year to satisfy the mobile hunting market. The Beast, The Hunting Public, and Tethrd continue to put out great content supporting the mobile hunter. The podcasts are promoting mobile hunting. Social media is promoting mobile hunting. Guys are seeing success with new tactics. Hunters old and new are feeling the excitement of the chase again. Heck, even the big time names are talking about bedding now where years ago there wasn't any mention of it.

The downsides that I see to this style of hunting are that it can be expensive if you want some quality gear. Not all beginners are going to be able to get the latest and greatest right away. Another downside to it is that it's a lot of work. So it isn't for everyone and I like that. ;)

With all that said, I do hope it slows down a bit. I wouldn't want too much competition in the woods. :lol:
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:35 am

This topic brings me back to my early years hunting whitetails. During those years in northern MN everyone built deer blinds overlooking clearcuts, logging roads, and anything else looking promising to attract or hold deer. It was easy to go along with what everyone else was doing. I also would say one could get a bit lazy or complacent using these structures day after day. I was guilty too of hunting this mindset until one day I began hauling along my Loc-on Lem when rifle hunting. Family and friends in hunting camp looked at me funny and couldn’t believe I would haul that stand around putting it up and taking it down. It wasn’t the lightest stand and had a plastic platform which could be noisy and loud. But I continued that way, used screw-in steps and was happy to stay mobile. Fast forward to today and I cannot wait to find the next tree to hang my stand in during archery season. Mobile is the way for me even though I’m not as fast as I once was setting up. I now just go a little earlier and take my time.
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:45 am

I was the first in my group of hunting buddies to buy a climber back in the 90’s because it got me way more mobile. One Buddy actually laughed at me. He quit bow hunting because he never killed any deer....

I killed a bunch of bucks out of my favorite API climber. Seemed like the more I moved the better the hunting got. That climber hasn’t been out with me in two seasons.

Regardless of equipment you are using being mobile keeps your spots fresh so in my opinion its the best way to hunt deer especially pressured deer.
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:52 am

Dewey wrote:Sitting in one spot over and over never appealed to me. I was mobile hunting decades before I found the Beast. Only thing is now I’m in the right spots.

I’m kind of in this boat with Dewey. For many years now I’ve been mobile hunting by using climbers. First an old API and more recently in a Treewalker. I loved these stands but still didn’t have the mobility I really felt I needed. Being limited to a straight branch less tree was putting a damper on my deer killing mojo... I made the switch to sticks and a saddle and was able to position myself quickly and quietly right were I felt I needed to be to seal the deal on that mature buck.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:19 am

I'd say it's a hot trend but it's not going anywhere. I actually first look for ground-ambush spots before I'd consider a tree stand location because I'm lazy like that. I loathe lugging in more than a bow and backpack.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”