Post Deer Season Blues

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

littlebuckhunter

Post Deer Season Blues

Unread postby littlebuckhunter » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:23 am

Well here I am. Another season in the books and I'm stuck at work for a few more hours. It gets dark early, deer season is out, vacation time spent, it's cold, and outside of some scouting for next year there is nothing to do.

I know, I know, there is plenty of scouting and things to do before next season but that is a long time away still. So instead, I'll just complain on here a bit. This time of year is just blah, another 6-8 weeks and the longer/warmer days will be here.

This is the time of year that the forum goes pretty quiet. So what is your mind on? Next deer season, turkey season, fishing? Where are you shifting your focus?

rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Re: Post Deer Season Blues

Unread postby rhagenw » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:16 am

I too get post season blues this year is better than most but it still lingers...going scouting/squirrel hunting this weekend...I got permission to less the ideal hunting properties but one section will be good for my girls to get some doe action! Pressure was insane this year after November 1st on public/shared properties
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:38 am

Still actually hunting some but haven’t seen a buck I would shoot in over a month on Public.

I’m now scouting more than I hunt and preparing for next year.

I golf a lot in Spring and Summer as it keeps me active and outdoors.

Weather usually starts to turn for the better here in March.

Hang in there!
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:57 am

Ice fishing has my focus a little bit right now, its a good way to combat the dark winter depression. But if the snow melts off it will be scouting that is top priority. I have a long list of stuff I need to get done to prep for next season, so I think I will want to try to fish a little less this year. The post season blues didn't really hit me too hard this year because as a new beast style hunter I knew I would be busy in the off season and it will just get better from here on out, plus I shot a buck and filled the freezer so that always eases the pain a little.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:19 pm

It's a time of year that I struggle through also.

Updating the monthly weather forecast to see the curve change upward is a regular thing for me.
But I don't slow down or give up. My focus will be knocking out chores/projects that have to be done before next season.
And a bright spot is I have new boots to break in. So come on scouting trips.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:54 pm

Typically I like to get the snowmobile out, but not enough snow so far this year! Otherwise I’ve fishing, scouting and focusing at work. I also hear my house with wood so I am always busy every winter cutting wood if I do get bored. Always something to do!
sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:14 pm

I’ve got two more hunts before my season is done. Hasn’t been the best because I didn’t do my homework over the spring/summer. Thought I had it figured out, turns out I didn’t. Working on getting the house ready for market, need a place with some more land do that the wife and kids can get some horses and I can shoot in peace. Ready to start scouting too. We’ve got some snow in the forecast that should help.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:57 pm

Plenty to do for everyone. Fish, scout, still some hunting left (I'm torn this time of year between the ice and some late hunting as I still have a few tags, but running a spear through an unsuspecting pike is tempting).

Ive posted it before, but if everyone put at least there state in there profile location it would give conversations much more perspective of where everyone is.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:58 pm

I used to get real bummed when the season ended but not so much anymore. Too be honest I enjoy post season scouting maybe even more than hunting. I’m actually excited to start a brand new season and get out there scouting right away. Feels so good to be free of all the gear I carry in and out for each hunt and I just love to cover the miles and explore areas I treaded lightly all season. After spending 100’s of hours on stand the explorer in me needs to get out and search. It’s really exciting to me diving into bedding areas to check things out and figure out what I may have missed the previous season and find more puzzle pieces for the next.
ArkieArcher

Unread postby ArkieArcher » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:45 pm

My season goes till the end of February so since I’ve only got 1 buck down I’ll keep after them :dance:
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:49 pm

Dewey wrote:I used to get real bummed when the season ended but not so much anymore. Too be honest I enjoy post season scouting maybe even more than hunting. I’m actually excited to start a brand new season and get out there scouting right away. Feels so good to be free of all the gear I carry in and out for each hunt and I just love to cover the miles and explore areas I treaded lightly all season. After spending 100’s of hours on stand the explorer in me needs to get out and search. It’s really exciting to me diving into bedding areas to check things out and figure out what I may have missed the previous season and find more puzzle pieces for the next.

100% agreed. Sometimes I look forward to seasons end so I can go and figure out where that buck came out of bedding, but was out of range to shoot.
KPillinois

Unread postby KPillinois » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:10 pm

Well after 6 years bow hunting and only public land, i have NEVER scouted outside of season. Actually, i really haven't scouted hardly in season either. I find the spots on my Huntstand app and move in, usually getting really lucky, or close enough to be able to see where the action is and adjust. Season ended here in Illinois Jan 17th and this year i am scouting a lot, starting in a couple of weeks. Also going to look at several other public places close by to hunt where i have never been. Ordering 3 more Beast sticks to finish up my set for next year (to make a total of 5 sticks). Just found out from this site that you are supposed to look for "hot" oaks dropping acorns. My sister and brother-in-law (and the in-laws living next door to them) have 100 acres total in N. Kentucky and they only gun hunt and have hundreds of oaks (Red and White) and they never told me that either when i asked how to find the deer when you got millions of oak trees. Right on the Ohio River, sit the same pre-hung stands every time and my sister kills monsters every year. In-laws won't let u shoot anything less than 8 point so i don't hunt there. I shoot whatever i feel like shooting, which is pretty much everything i see. Planning to make next year my best ever so I am already starting to organize my vehicle containers, ordered a couple of new Summit linemans's ropes from Academy Sports online......... Gotta get my peep sight retied and a new d loop put on and Oct 1st will be here before you know it. Gonna order another dvd from Dan too to maximize my scouting, what would anyone suggest ? (already own BBO Hill Country)
I've changed my ways, I'm now looking for big bucks on public land.
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:38 am

I take the post season right after deer closes here in IL(this year was January 17th) to rain down the reckoning on squirrels till that season closes. Take a month to mentally reset my brain, cater to the ol lady cause come season end shes beyond ready for me to be done haha. When the snow melts i start spring scouting on public and tearing down stands on my permission spots. Go thru gear and stands. E scout while snows on the ground. Got a couple cams on public i got to pull, some cams on private ill pull in febuary. Ice fishing if i get a chance to go with someone. Spring and summer fishing of course. Late season blues dont really hit me hard the past couple years just cause im gettin burned out by the last couple weeks of season, and its nice to get that break and mental reset. My one Permission piece i gotta go thru with a chainsaw and clean house on it from when the derecho went thru it wreaked some havoc on it.
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:51 am

I normally wait til March to scout but this year I’m starting as soon as I can get out. I’ll scout right up until turkey season. Fish and get ready for the upcoming season again come summer
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:05 am

Going back over the past seasons trail cam pics and compare them to what I have from 2020-21 and see if there are any correlations. I am also spending some time sledding with the kids, learning new board games, and patiently waiting for turkey season.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”