Do antlers tell a story we weren’t aware of?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CattailCommander

Re: Do antlers tell a story we weren’t aware of?

Unread postby CattailCommander » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:29 am

Dewey wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:This is the last buck I shot with a bow in 2018. His left antler is obviously all messed up. So many different reasons what caused this. It still makes me stop and wonder even 2 years later.

The old timers always said an injury on one side will affect antler growth on the opposite side. No idea how much truth to that. :think:

This is pretty interesting. Not a huge amount of information but still interesting.

https://www.msudeer.msstate.edu/abnormalities.php

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:48 am

Dewey wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:This is the last buck I shot with a bow in 2018. His left antler is obviously all messed up. So many different reasons what caused this. It still makes me stop and wonder even 2 years later.

The old timers always said an injury on one side will affect antler growth on the opposite side. No idea how much truth to that. :think:

I always heard that too but one property I’ve hunted for a long time had like a 5 year span where I’d see bucks with one messed up side. It was so common that I figured it was genetic. I guess they all could of had injuries but it didn’t seem likely with that many being that way. But then it all changed, I haven’t seen a buck like that there in a long time.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:55 am

Wlog wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I always heard that too but one property I’ve hunted for a long time had like a 5 year span where I’d see bucks with one messed up side. It was so common that I figured it was genetic. I guess they all could of had injuries but it didn’t seem likely with that many being that way. But then it all changed, I haven’t seen a buck like that there in a long time.

Well there may have been one buck in the area that was the bully and when he fought he had a specific move, like a Tyson step to the right and throw the left uppercut. So while he was dominate he injured all the other deer with this move when he fought them. I have skinned a few deer during the rut which where really bruised up in their shoulders and even hind quarters. It is a viscous world out there for a deer. Everything trying to eat you and bullies.
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”