Using ground blind for scent control

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JonNc

Using ground blind for scent control

Unread postby JonNc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:47 am

I know we are mostly about mobile hunting, but this is a question for when you know an area that should repeat itself on private.

I'm curious if others have ever had success with setting up a ground blind to help with scent control. There are times when you just can't get downwind of a particular spot. Maybe it's due to property borders, access, etc. I personally shot my buck this year from a ground blind and that deer was downwind (first deer I've ever taken from blind). That same blind was also hunted another time with wrong wind and multiple does crossed downwind and never caught my scent.

My strategy for this blind location was I only opened the front window and a small window on the right, helping to minimize air coming through the blind. It seemed to work, but I was curious with other's experiences. Hunting a mix of private and public, this is obviously better suited for private. I have one particular location that the prevailing wind is NE, which is technically wrong for the spot I'm hunting. This spot is on fire first two weeks of November, so I don't want to miss out on action. For next year, I'm considering a ground blind for when the wind is wrong, and using the stand when the wind is in my favor. Anybody else have success with strategies similar to this?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Using ground blind for scent control

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:08 am

Never really thought much about it but looking back I’ve had very similar experiences with deer downwind. I know shade usually causes air to sink and a enclosed blind might contain it or Atleast prevent it from blowing far. I used to hunt a lot of hay fields with the round bales everywhere. In that situation with a hay bale blind u could be very mobile. I don’t use them these days but good question. Food for thought at least.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:47 am

I hunted a lot of ground blinds this year in Kansas. I had a mature buck wind me from one. With that said, the next day I had multiple deer down wind out of a natural ground blind. Sometimes it just depends on the deer but I would not consider a ground blind scent proof from my expierences.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:53 am

I use ground blinds a lot recently. Finding more and more especially on private being able to position anywhere instead of only where trees are really works well. But I haven’t really noticed any difference in being winded. If the deer get downwind I generally get winded.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:13 pm

I have had deer sniff my window edge with me sitting and they not spook
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”