Stand placement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BRoth82
500 Club

Stand placement

Unread postby BRoth82 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:28 am

I've been going back and forth on this and am looking for advise from you guys. Here's the scenario, you're a right handed archery hunter, you have bedding to your North, the trails exit out to the SE. You identified the only kill tree is on the Westside of the trails, and works great for a just off wind. The problem is if you face your stand to where the deer are coming from you'll have to rotate your body around to get a shot. There's very little cover in front of you to mask movement, you could put the stand on the backside of the tree and face the tree and look around it to see deer coming but again you'd have to rotate your body to get a shot. Also hunting on the ground won't work in this spot and there are no other good trees?

backstraps

Re: Stand placement

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:59 am

If I understand the scenario you described correctly, if you are facing the bedding area, when the buck exits and is walking he would be walking a hard cornered too shot. To be able to shoot while he is broadsided, you would basically have to stand and turn to your right.

If that is the scenario correctly, and you wanted to avoid movement around to get the shot off, I would place my stand where my left should is at his bedding area/exit route. IF YOU CAN SET the stand where as to NOT be skylined
Then when the broadside shot is offered it will be directly in front of you, or quartered away. You would have to be on you game, with the bow in your lap ready, as he may "appear" and catch you off guard and needing to move anyway to get "shot ready"
saglick

Unread postby saglick » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:43 am

backstraps wrote:If I understand the scenario you described correctly, if you are facing the bedding area, when the buck exits and is walking he would be walking a hard cornered too shot. To be able to shoot while he is broadsided, you would basically have to stand and turn to your right.

If that is the scenario correctly, and you wanted to avoid movement around to get the shot off, I would place my stand where my left should is at his bedding area/exit route. IF YOU CAN SET the stand where as to NOT be skylined
Then when the broadside shot is offered it will be directly in front of you, or quartered away. You would have to be on you game, with the bow in your lap ready, as he may "appear" and catch you off guard and needing to move anyway to get "shot ready"

This is exactly what I do in this scenario. I'll also sit a little sideways on the seat to minimize the amount of head turning that I have to do to see what is coming from behind.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:49 pm

If the cover is OK I prefer to face the bedding. Then as soon as something happens, I stand, flip up my seat, and lean tight against the tree with my right shoulder. Then I'm in-line with the tree, and in position to shoot. In limited cover I have put the stand on the backside. But don't like as much that because you have to move more while monitoring the bedding. And there's more chance of getting surprised by a quiet deer's approach.

Either way you have to stand up, and tuck tight next to the tree. Or you'll likely get picked off anyway. I try not to ever get caught sitting for a shot. But that just me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:05 am

In a situation like this, I typically setup facing away from the bedding. When doing this, I'll typically just stand and lean arm against the tree, while I face behind me. Its not bad to do for a few hours in the evening.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:32 am

Thanks guys, my thought also was to place the stand on the backside of the tree and face my left shoulder towards the bedding.

For those that said put the stand on the side of the tree would you be worried about being skylined a little without the tree trunk behind you?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:12 am

face the shot.... when a deer is oncomimg stand, turn sideways so your profile is on line witj tje tree, put your rigjt shoulder agaist the tree, hide your face with cam and limb in the ready to draw position, my lower cam rests on my leg. when the shot presents lean forward as you draw. dead buck.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:55 am

When hunting with my stand, I have put in on the back side as well, and stood facing the tree.

Jason put up a good video yesterday that might help as well when picking your tree, and some things that may help hide you as well.

https://youtu.be/hDhpLNpMgEU

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”