2021 scouting reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RiverBottoms
500 Club

Re: 2021 scouting reports

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:41 am

Lockdown wrote:Who’s out scouting this weekend? Made it out for several 1/2 and 1 hour scouts at the local marsh this week. And will make an hour trip for a half day scout tomorrow.

Gotta get out there before these marshes thaw! A lot of the ice is deteriorating but the ground underneath is still frozen. Won’t be long till we’re dealing with hard walking...

I'll be heading out this weekend. Hoping I didn't miss my window to have reduced snow cover, yet frozen ground to hit some hard to access spots. We'll see

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:38 am

IMG_20210308_041603_848.jpg

They like it here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:33 pm

I'm thinking after this week marshes and swamps will be a bear to navigate.. was out this weekend and they were getting iffy.. Scouted a little 5 acre corner of public right next to town thought it would be over looked.. saw some pretty good buck sign in it lots of historical rubs.. I'm leaning towards a rut spot seemed to be doe bedding in there
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:18 pm

Haven’t been scouting much but found some good stuff yesterday. Big bed with a rub in it and a tall rub 20 yards away. Overlooked spot just above a rock ledge 100 yds from the road.

EB9235DB-A68D-43B4-97A5-71719D3613E2.jpeg
CEC80B00-3EC1-4DB7-8FE7-AD0842AB301B.jpeg
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Linwood'sfinest
Facebook: Michael Beebe

Unread postby Linwood'sfinest » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:33 am

Found some good sign on some smaller islands. What is everyone's approach to these types of limited real estate situations?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:40 am

Linwood'sfinest wrote:Found some good sign on some smaller islands. What is everyone's approach to these types of limited real estate situations?

How small?
Linwood'sfinest

Unread postby Linwood'sfinest » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:00 am

Lockdown wrote:
Linwood'sfinest wrote:Found some good sign on some smaller islands. What is everyone's approach to these types of limited real estate situations?

How small?

50 to 70 yards long maybe 10 to 20 wide...
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:57 am

Linwood'sfinest wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

How small?

Yeah that’s close quarters. The plus side of islands that small is if you can make it there undetected the odds of killing are high. You’d just need favorable conditions to pull off an evening hunt (early season/windy/wet). Sneaking to within 50-70 yards is do-able, not saying it’s easy. Some situations it could be easier than you think, others might be impossible.

If I don’t think I can get in for an evening hunt I will try to beat him there in the morning. Usually late October to (hopefully) catch him coming back late. Or if you think its pressure bedding you could set up on it opening morning of gun season hoping someone kicks one to you.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:05 am

Any tips on rolling hills? I’ve notice the most worn in beds near drainages and thick cover...not always on the upper/lower one thirds...is this because of the wind/thermals reacting with the rolling thick terrain? Also every oak tree in my area is loaded this year so trails go everywhere
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:35 am

Found a couple hours to scout after work yesterday. Hit up a public tract close to home that I’ve been very curious of. Been meaning to get there for a couple years but never seem to find time.

I heard a story of a big buck that got shot last fall, and after thinking about it, I know of 3 big ones in the last 15-20 years that have been killed or seen in this 5 mile stretch. I’ve glassed and shined the area here and there but never see much for bucks.

Curiosity finally got the best of me...

I put on 3.5 miles and didn’t find much for buck sign. A couple small rubs and only 1 scrape. There were a couple fresh sets of tracks in the less than day old snow, and one set caught my attention.
I was focused on the back side of the property. There is a draw that meets up to a wooded slough edge. It’s not a classic buck bedding scenario. Upon reaching it, I don’t think there’s any way you can sneak back here and get into position without bumping deer quite often. Not to mention I’d leave a TON of scent. :? They’re bedding all through these trees and on the edges watching the open on both sides. Another issue is it’s hard to know which direction they’ll head in the evening. The bedding runs east and west but they’ll likely be heading South to food. :think:

Shortly after reaching suspected bedding (thick willow trees and buckthorn) 6 deer ran out the other side. One appeared to be a buck with a floppy/damaged ear. :think: he wasn’t huge but was noticeably bigger than the does. I’m thinking the 3 finger track was his. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for him since he’s so close to home. He almost has to be a 3.5 this fall.

I didn’t find any crazy bedding, it was spread out. I did find a jaw bone in a bed though.

The lone scrape I found did look legit. It was smack dab in the middle of trees (bedding all around) and had trails coming to it from multiple directions. It was concave from years of use and the licking branch had seen some serious use. 8-)

The buckthorn made hunting from a tree an issue. However the understory was pretty open. I found a likely ground blind locale and drug some deadfalls in so the canary grass could grow up through them this summer. I’ve got 3 wide open shooting lanes and several more lanes to sneak arrows through. The plan is to wade the slough or kayak to it on a morning hunt. Scent will blow out over the slough. If there’s no wind my thermals should suck down toward it too.

If there’s a shooter in the area this spot will be a solid bet. Still have to scout the other side of the property. Between this public and the neighboring land there were 28 deer out in the stubble field when I left. Only 8 of which were visible from the road...

I’ve said it a million times. If you can’t see the low spots, well... you can’t see.
Linwood'sfinest

Unread postby Linwood'sfinest » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:15 am

Lockdown wrote:
Linwood'sfinest wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

How small?

Yeah that’s close quarters. The plus side of islands that small is if you can make it there undetected the odds of killing are high. You’d just need favorable conditions to pull off an evening hunt (early season/windy/wet). Sneaking to within 50-70 yards is do-able, not saying it’s easy. Some situations it could be easier than you think, others might be impossible.

If I don’t think I can get in for an evening hunt I will try to beat him there in the morning. Usually late October to (hopefully) catch him coming back late. Or if you think its pressure bedding you could set up on it opening morning of gun season hoping someone kicks one to you.

Thank you! That's great options and advice!
Linwood'sfinest

Unread postby Linwood'sfinest » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:19 am

When you see stands leftover from previous seasons do you think "gun hunter"? Probably doesn't matter too much. My final conclusion is generally "not hunting here anyway."
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:37 am

Linwood'sfinest wrote:When you see stands leftover from previous seasons do you think "gun hunter"? Probably doesn't matter too much. My final conclusion is generally "not hunting here anyway."

If it’s a spot I want to hunt, I place a branch on their stand or steps/sticks. If it’s gone when I check on it next, it’s being hunted and that will help give me a time line. That’s just one of the many tips and tricks I’ve learned from the Beast. Here’s a branch I placed in a stand this past week :P

If it’s a stand that’s not being hunted, or hasn’t been hunted yet, it doesn’t bother me one bit. In 2019 Tyler and I both killed nice public land bucks (his was huge... 160’s) next to box stands that were placed on the public/private border. Mine was opening day, his was a muzzleloader buck in December.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:32 am

I also place a branch on ladders or sticks steps whatever so I can see if it gets used. 9 out of 10 times the branch is still there if I come by the following spring. I have one place where I scouted and found a lone wolf hang on with sticks and a lone wolf climber with another set of sticks about 100 yards away. I put a branch on them three years ago and they haven't been touched. I would love to bring them home if they're abandoned but that's bad juju.

Scouted a remote mostly land locked piece yesterday. Only access is through train tracks. I hunted it years ago with some success but the good buck sign dried up. Figured I would go give it a look since it's been a while. I found where someone had gone in and cut a ton of trees around a tree pretty deep in. It was coincidentally right in the same area I had hunted years ago. I had some reflector tacks going to it so maybe this guy followed them but I didn't see any of my old ones.
KIMG3260.JPG

Not surprising I went down wind from that location and found a handful of beds on a transition. Didn't see anything worth going back for though. One thing I found all through this swamp was these big piles of dirt all over. I've seen this before and never gave them much thought. This one looked particularly well used from something. There was deer poop, a trail, and some rubs right through this particular spot but I looked really close and saw no hairs on this bump. It doesn't look quite big enough for a deer to bed on comfortably, what do you all think?
KIMG3262.JPG
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:41 am

Lockdown wrote:
Linwood'sfinest wrote:When you see stands leftover from previous seasons do you think "gun hunter"? Probably doesn't matter too much. My final conclusion is generally "not hunting here anyway."

If it’s a spot I want to hunt, I place a branch on their stand or steps/sticks. If it’s gone when I check on it next, it’s being hunted and that will help give me a time line. That’s just one of the many tips and tricks I’ve learned from the Beast. Here’s a branch I placed in a stand this past week :P

If it’s a stand that’s not being hunted, or hasn’t been hunted yet, it doesn’t bother me one bit. In 2019 Tyler and I both killed nice public land bucks (his was huge... 160’s) next to box stands that were placed on the public/private border. Mine was opening day, his was a muzzleloader buck in December.

That's a great tip about the branch on the stand, I'll have to start doing that. A week or so ago when I was out scouting I found a climber stand that had screw in steps going up to it. No idea how the guy got into the stand but he left all the steps in the tree. I just walked on by.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”