2021 scouting reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BRoth82
500 Club

Re: 2021 scouting reports

Unread postby BRoth82 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:58 am

I was able to sneak out for a few hours this morning to do some scouting on a new property, we have maybe 4-6" of snow with 2" of it being fresh from yesterday afternoon.

This public is in ag country, so I wasn't expecting to see any fresh deer sign since they seem to head down to the river bottoms to winter over. Anyway it's roughly 100 acres or so in size with a nice thick grove and cattails slough.

I did find some sign that looked good and a few places that I could tell they were bedding at some point, and a general area that looks like great bedding as well. It'll be a spot that I'll have to return to in the spring to really check it out more.

Ended up putting on 2.25 miles in the -8 weather. I should have brought my shotgun since i flushed 16 pheasants with 3 roosters getting up within 10 feet of my and flying straight away nice and slow.

Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:10 pm

I got out this afternoon for alittle scouting mission at a familiar peice of public but I walked to an unfamiliar ridge. It was a complete pain to get to but I'm glad I did, I found a giant dead head in a bed, which sucks but it confirmed my suspicion on weather or not it was buck bedding up their, also found birthday balloons in the bedding area and I can't remember but I think Dan has said in the past that big bucks like balloons but I'm not sure if he did or I heard that somewhere else, but I've been finding these in or near bedding here lately and I assume that's due to thermal drop?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:07 pm

Got the pup out for his first scouting trip in 2022. He had a blast and I probably enjoyed watching him more than I did scouting.

Also dropped off 40lbs of trimmings at the butcher, helped a guy load 3 processed cows into his trailer, and actually got my dad out scouting with me. Walked some of the area we hunted this year. Picked some trees to hunt and made a game plan for the next scout. Back up in 2 weeks to pickup 60-70lbs of snack sticks, brat patties, and wiener brats

39D3764A-107F-4BFB-914E-DC946D9BC1C4.jpeg
1B7F3DCB-D7F6-49DD-A14D-350E01110A97.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”