Moving on after a tree stand accident

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Re: Moving on after a tree stand accident

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:33 am

Tribute80, look into rock climbing harnesses. That might be your solution.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
wjung

Unread postby wjung » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:11 am

I fell out of a tree when I was 12 on opening evening of gun season 1988. I used a Loggy "cheap seat" hangon, and for whatever reason I decided to flip the platform up when I was getting down. I was in a tamarack and the branch I was holding onto broke. I fell 25' landing on my back with my left arm underneath, breaking my shoulder. I was damn lucky to say the least. I fell through several branches that broke my fall (my face was pretty cut up) and the bog was soft enough that I didn't break my back. The worst part was going to the ER in Prentice and trying to get the 50 layers of clothing off, that hurt. Anyway, I didn't have any issue climbing back in the stand next bow season as the equipment wasn't the problem. I learned to not trust branches while adjusting equipment, and not to flip up the platform!
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:31 pm

Glad youre ok bro.

I had an almost terrible mishap the last sit of the season. My linemans belt carabiner was not screwed shut and the opening was facing down and the tree was anight mare to climb requiring alot of adjusting of my ropes. When I finnaly noticed the latch was halfway off the linemans loop on my saddle and I was of course on public VERY far from where any sane person would go. I quickly fixed it and stopped and just took in what almost happend and how being complacent almost caused disaster. When I got home I swapped it out for a auto lock carabiner.

If I were you I would toss those sticks and get some better ones.
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:25 am

Curious, were you using rope mods or daisy chains?
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:30 am

Think back over the years, its very rare i get into the stand from the top step. I can see that making me very nervous. I always tend to use the middle one. With my weight very close to the strap, and less leverage than on the top step, ive not had a kickout.

Im pretty careful to set the last stick very close to the stand so im stepping, not swinging to the platform.

So glad your ok. Be careful out there.
TreeFreak

Unread postby TreeFreak » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:47 am

briar wrote:Curious, were you using rope mods or daisy chains?

No rope mods or daisy chains. Using cam
Straps.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:15 pm

Fallen once, had another scare.

The fall I wasn’t paying attention, thought I was stepping off the step to the ground (in the dark) I was at the second section from the ground. DOH! I hit and rolled, not hurt.

The scarier event was stepping onto a LW stand and the hang hook popped out. The second strap kept it from dumping me. Huge heart rush, fixed the set and stayed for the hunt.
WiscoDisco

Unread postby WiscoDisco » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:15 pm

A few years ago I was standing on a 10 year old hang on stand with my harness on and the cables that connect to the I beams snapped and I dropped like someone pushed the button for a trap door. I got back on the sticks, climbed down, talked it over with a friend walked over to a climber 100 yards away and shot a buck an hour later.

The interesting part is that I stood on the platform with the seat up for 5 minute rigging up a lifeline. After I snapped into the lifeline and sat down I stood up one more time to screw in my Go Pro now with the seat down. Standing out on the edge versus hugging the tree was the extra pressure needed to snap the old rusty cables.

I keep my strap extremely high in the tree. I only want enough slack that when i sit down its not making my harness gimme a wedgie. I didnt have any real trauma from the fall other than a very sore finger. We talked about going home, sitting on the ground etc but in the end I didnt have any injury "waste" a hunt on a 4 day out of stater. I have been in lots of trees for lots of hours since but you wont catch me in anything without a harness on for 5 seconds now. Lifelines for hang ons and a regular waiting for me at the top treestand on ladders. Slowly converting to lifelines on everything.
AndreSaavedra

Unread postby AndreSaavedra » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:17 pm

scary stuff
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:43 pm

I’ve only had two incidents.

One the top portion of my LW hand climber broke and i started to fall backwards, tether caught me. I had to shimmy down bear hugging the tree. This one happened 8 years ago now.

The other my hand just slipped off a step somehow or missed it completely and i fell backwards from about 10 ft up or so. Landed on my feet and then rolled onto my back. Really only bruised up my ego.

I shrugged both incidents off and just went back to hunting. The one in which i fell as this was WAY before lineman’s belts, tethers, and safety harnesses i just dusted myself off and climbed right backup.

What i’m trying to say is we are all different and respond differently to these things. Do as you need to to get back in the game and i’m glad you didn’t get hurt.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:51 pm

wjung wrote:I fell out of a tree when I was 12 on opening evening of gun season 1988. I used a Loggy "cheap seat" hangon, and for whatever reason I decided to flip the platform up when I was getting down. I was in a tamarack and the branch I was holding onto broke.I fell 25' landing on my back with my left arm underneath, breaking my shoulder. I was damn lucky to say the least. I fell through several branches that broke my fall (my face was pretty cut up) and the bog was soft enough that I didn't break my back. The worst part was going to the ER in Prentice and trying to get the 50 layers of clothing off, that hurt. Anyway, I didn't have any issue climbing back in the stand next bow season as the equipment wasn't the problem. I learned to not trust branches while adjusting equipment, and not to flip up the platform!

Those Tamaracks just snap with no warning. Even decent sized ones i’ve found.

You live and learn, sometimes the hard way.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:05 pm

Also had a step break on me years ago. Fell about 10 feet straight down. Ground was very soft and I was about 20.

Sore ankle was about it. I was in a really wet boggy area and climbed back up.

Second time my boot slipped off and I fell about 5 feet. No big deal because my old lacrosse boot saved me from a serious cut although it was torn up. I was cut but not too bad. Hunted but only 2 steps up. Cost me a deer that morning. Leg was sore but nothing serious no stitches.

I now always climb with some type of tree attachment even with a climber on the off chance I use one. I would never climb on screw in steps of any type as know many that have had them break in the cold.

As a age I notice I don’t like going as high as I use to. It was nothing for me to go up a tree 25-30 feet before. Now I would guess most sits are between 12-15 feet.

Key for me is to go slow and stay attached to the tree. When I do this I feel safer and set up quieter.

Fact is we all take a chance when we leave the ground. Up to you what amount of risk is acceptable. Hope you get past it and keep hunting.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:20 pm

My son is going to have his first bow season this year- he will be 12. I gave him my old sticks and a stand for Christmas.
We have been practicing hanging sticks and a stand almost daily. Even though he has hung 4 sticks a few times, I have him practicing hanging his stand one stick up. He is on a double step, and his confidence is higher only being 3’ up while he gets comfortable.
Teaching him brings back a lot of basics that I may forget or neglect because sometimes you can cut corners and get away with it. This is how accidents happen. The last thing I want to see is my son fall- and I’m sure my family does not want to see me fall.
Helping him learn is a good refresher for me to remember just how easy it is to mess up and that most accidents CAN be prevented.
Ryan

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”