Whats the Big Deal with Darkness?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Atimm693

Whats the Big Deal with Darkness?

Unread postby Atimm693 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:28 am

You can't go anywhere without reading "slip in well before daylight". Just for curiosity's sake, I want to know why, aside from trying to intercept them on the way back to bed.

From what I read deer have excellent night vision. What difference does it make if you get into an area in daylight or before, when they can see you either way?

JakeB
500 Club

Re: Whats the Big Deal with Darkness?

Unread postby JakeB » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:46 am

Have you ever bumped into a deer in daylight and it ran 5 miles through the woods? And then ran into one at night that just stared at you from 30 yards away watching you walk around?

That’s how I look at it anyway. Also I want to be setup and ready and waiting for the first minute of legal light.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:47 am

Good question! Personally not an authority on the subject but have my thoughts.For one I don’t believe deer have exceptional vision even during the day. I believe their night vision is better than ours but thats not saying much.

I typically don’t go in before first light unless some oddball stuff is at play. Biggest reason is due to air. For sake of argument let’s say u r hunting a ridge line running East/West and u got a South wind. During the night darkness u approach your ridge top stand with the wind in your face and set up shop. Any critter below u is tipped off by the still sinking air all the way down the ridge through the point to the fields. Any critter north of u is gonna cut your track or catch a big whiff from flurries of wind. When the sun does pop up and air rises anything above u is gonna smell u. Out of the basic 4 directions u just killed 3 of em b4 your hunt even really started. Some might not agree but it’s what I believe and I’m no biologist and might change my thoughts at a later time. But I try to put all my disturbances and scent in only 1 direction.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:20 pm

The first and last 30 mins are the best. I don’t think they have “excellent night vision” I think they see well enough to get by in the dark. Better then us but not as good as other creatures. I think they see good but they prefer some light that’s why they move more when the moon is up.
When it’s dark they are in the open areas feeding and traveling. And I think that’s why they try to get out of the thick stuff just before dark.
The idea behind getting in, in the dark is that they are out and about while you slip in the edge of the thick stuff or in the thick to catch them that first and last 30mins. You get down after dark so they don’t get spoked under your tree or in route. Also when they get spoked in the dark they only go a couple hundred yards not miles.

Plus watching the wood come alive is always a bonus.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:50 pm

JakeB wrote:Have you ever bumped into a deer in daylight and it ran 5 miles through the woods? And then ran into one at night that just stared at you from 30 yards away watching you walk around?

That’s how I look at it anyway. Also I want to be setup and ready and waiting for the first minute of legal light.

Totally agree with this and also why I am perfectly fine with getting setup up right before legal light and not three hours early. Only reason I do that is in rifle season to beat human pressure ensuring my spot. Even when they smell you at night they react differently. I'm pretty sure I've killed a few deer I bumped walking in and their freakout level is totally different than in daylight.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:44 pm

I only make it a priority during gun season but my gun spots are set up for it. Access from where I don’t expect movement and sit where I expect deer to move to and through once more people start moving them.

Usually I set up in gray light unless I know the exact tree I want. First hour can be great during bow season
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:52 pm

If you are setting up in a bedding area, then you are trying to get setup before the buck gets there. Then you either shoot him as he gets there at 1st light. Or if he gets back before shooting light, you're waiting for him shift beds or get up and browse in the bedding area for a shot.

This technique allows you to setup within shooting distance of his bed without spooking him. Because in theory, he shouldn't be there yet. 8-)

I like to use this tactic in bedding areas that are tough to get into for an evening hunt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:00 pm

Deer spook less in the dark in my opinion. Plus I like being in stand as the woods wakes up. But once gray light starts or on a full moon, that changes. Personally id rather be in well before gray light or wait til I can see good
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:45 am

Like a few have mentioned, deer just seem to get a lot less spooked if they are bumped in the dark compared to the daylight, or even gray light.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
FCAndrews71

Unread postby FCAndrews71 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:13 am

What are thoughts about using flashlights/headlamps when going in/out in the dark? A lot of the places I hunt have hunter number restrictions and are first come, first served, so I've had to get in at 3 or 4 in the morning to beat the crowds to my areas. Always was concerned the flashlight, regardless of color, was diminishing my chances.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:21 am

FCAndrews71 wrote:What are thoughts about using flashlights/headlamps when going in/out in the dark? A lot of the places I hunt have hunter number restrictions and are first come, first served, so I've had to get in at 3 or 4 in the morning to beat the crowds to my areas. Always was concerned the flashlight, regardless of color, was diminishing my chances.

The noise you make tripping and stumbling over stuff you can’t see is way more of a giveaway to animals that you aren’t one than some random flashes of light. I just keep my light on the dimmest setting and walk slow. Have gotten within 40-50 yards of deer without them spooking bad, and have had plenty walk by while I’m setting up or picking a tree.

Not to mention I’d rather stay safe and not snap an ankle or get shot at. A light won’t ruin your hunt
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:46 am

Situational.

Low deer density vs high density. Shooting any deer or targeting a mature buck. Early season, rut, late season. Surrounding hunting pressure, where will the deer be hour before shooting light vs right at shooting light and where are you walking/setting up in relation. Are you good at slipping In quiet or are you a tanglefoot.

If you are learning it is best to play it safe, be in early and see how it plays out. You bump deer well before daylight you give them time to calm down maybe filter back thru or new deer coming thru right at daylight. You bump deer right at daylight they are gone at least for a while and now you are burning daylight waiting for something else to come thru, not a bug deal in high density areas especially during rut, very big deal in low density areas...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
MNarrow

Unread postby MNarrow » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:45 am

I think I read that deer see in the night as well we can see during daylight. And during gray light period deer cannot tell it's gray light and they think it's dark thus a lot of movement happens during the gray light period.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:30 am

Bill Vale theory is at astronomical twilight big pressured bucks are the first to head back to bedding. It’s an hour and a half before sunrise. Legal shooting light is civil twilight. A half hour before sunrise. They can sense the coming of the sun imo. Some things can delay them like fog, rainy weather, and does
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:19 am

MNarrow wrote:I think I read that deer see in the night as well we can see during daylight. And during gray light period deer cannot tell it's gray light and they think it's dark thus a lot of movement happens during the gray light period.

I read the same thing. That have more rods or light receptors or something like that.

When i was younger i was always in the stand 2 hrs before first light. I however hate spooking deer. Now it all depends on whether i can slip in the spot quietly in the dark if not I will hunt my way to my spot.

I also think the idea of going in while dark has more to do with getting set before the deer head back to bed. Not because they cant see.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”