Bachelor Groups reforming after rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Nolte

Bachelor Groups reforming after rut

Unread postby Nolte » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:13 am

How soon have you guys observed bucks reforming in bachelor groups after the rut. I have a food plot that still has a little left in it and have had 3 bucks, 2.5 year olds and a 3.5 year that have been coming in together here in the last couple weeks albeit after dark. Its not unusual to see multiple bucks in the same plot but these guys are coming in together as a group. Pretty common in August but I havent seen it as much once they separate come fall.

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Bachelor Groups reforming after rut

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:33 am

Nolte wrote:How soon have you guys observed bucks reforming in bachelor groups after the rut. I have a food plot that still has a little left in it and have had 3 bucks, 2.5 year olds and a 3.5 year that have been coming in together here in the last couple weeks albeit after dark. Its not unusual to see multiple bucks in the same plot but these guys are coming in together as a group. Pretty common in August but I havent seen it as much once they separate come fall.

Pretty common as their trying to replenish food after the rut and get ready for winter. They may do some light sparring too but nothing aggressive by any means. They also do what is called "yarding up" in my area- where there are SEVERAL deer on a hot food source when the snow is deeper. They come from all over. Typically though the bucks in my area are starting to drop antlers so it can be difficult to tell which is which.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:34 am

They're grouping back up here. Doe groups are gathering as well.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:43 am

If you have a tag left- scout back to see where they're coming from and get one!
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:44 am

I have Bachelor picks Dec 23, I also have pics of a buck with a doe Dec 29. I killed a buck Dec 21 and a doe with a buck ran past me when I recovered him. Seen another doe with a buck the day before that. I live in South Carolina though, I have trail camera pics of hard horned bachelor groups in April. My buddy is a DNR wildlife biologist and believes they breed through April here.
Chad Gus 715

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:32 am

11 or 12 different bucks coming into my bean field every night
equal opportunity hunter
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:33 am

I've seen it as early as December. I can think of a few times our crew has put out groups of bucks pushing in rifle and flintlock season. Not another deer around. Groups of 4-6 buck.

Other times they are alone...or amongst a doe group. I've seen bucks actively chasing does during the same time frame too. So, I'd say it just depends.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”