Camera to aid glassing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

naternate

Camera to aid glassing

Unread postby naternate » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:32 am

I have been thinking lately about how to maximize my preseason scouting. This pass summer I glassed field for the first time in years and it paid off with locating a big buck (and eventually a bachelor group) I was able to pattern but unfortunately never got the right opportunity. I just happened to see this buck getting in my truck right before dark in a field I did not glass.

Its impossible to hit every field on just the right night at just the right time when a buck is using it. I have a couple Bushnell cams with the Field Scan option I am going to use next summer in conjunction with glassing. Put the cams out on nearby fields and then go sit a different field. Pick the cameras up after I am done. I don’t like leaving cams on field edges due to high pressure on public and the fear of theft. I feel like this will help me be more efficient at finding areas holding bucks of the caliber I am looking for and then narrow it down from there. Anyone else do this or think it is a worthwhile tactic?

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Camera to aid glassing

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:24 am

That's a pretty good plan.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:36 am

I use cameras that way in the summer, but I leave them out for a couple weeks at a time. Here no one really gets put and scouts any until about September so I've not had any problems with doing that over the summer.
Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:54 am

Solid plan. I might have to give that a shot this year. Especially cause some of the places I glass are almost 2 hours from my house. The girlfriend doesn't love me coming hom at 11 every night in august.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:12 am

I think your going to risk blowing the fields out if you plan on grabbing your cam after dark. You can probably get away with that once but not repeatedly.
naternate

Unread postby naternate » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:30 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:I think your going to risk blowing the fields out if you plan on grabbing your cam after dark. You can probably get away with that once but not repeatedly.

Would probably be a one time deal. Just locating the areas that hold mature bucks since they are few and far between where I hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”