Crunch crunch crunch

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DeadHeadSpread

Crunch crunch crunch

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:41 pm

Tomorrow is the first day of late archery season in PA. Still have my buck tag. We’ve had snow on the ground the last 8 days, and most of those days I’ve been out scouting a few hours at a time. No shooter buck sightings but some big tracks and I’ve got some cams out On the highest concentrations of those big tracks hoping to locate a decent buck or 3 to target for Afternoon hunts. Problem is the snow is extremely crunchy right now. I wanna get in as close as I can to where I think the bedding is but that crunchy noise is impossible to avoid. Any tips for my dilemma?

Big Tracks Matter
mauser06
500 Club

Re: Crunch crunch crunch

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:39 pm

Don't sound like a 2 legged human.

Sounds stupid...but it works.

When I have a gun in my hands, I often like to still hunt or track. Last season I had frozen leaves for most of my days. I tried going painfully slow. It worked. But I couldn't cover ground like I wanted. One day on a whim I started kinda hopping around like a squirrel or a deer. A couple quick steps...not trying to be overly quiet. Then I'd stop and scan. I was able to put myself within 50yds of a pretty good group of deer.

Turkey calling could also work....as can deer grunts...though I shy away from it. I've just had too many deer high tail at the sound of a grunt to trust if anymore.

I'd say you're on the right track. Food close to bedding. Don't overlook midday. Midday into the evening is usually better for me in the late season. Don't know what you have for weather...here it's been nasty for a couple days. Going to be bitter cold and windy tomorrow morning. I just got off work not long ago...I'm going to sleep in and slink around the edges of a swamp with the Flintlock. Don't have a buck tag though.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”