Is Iowa worth it for NR

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigbucks1234

Re: Is Iowa worth it for NR

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:41 am

Life is way to short not to experience Iowa at least once.
Hoping to be draw a tag this coming fall myself :pray:

Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:57 am

I'll let you know in eleven months. I've got four points and plan to draw this fall.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:43 am

I have put in a weekend scouting IA the each year for the last 2 years but I havent found anything that screams "hunt me" yet. Definitely looks good, but I have sure seen a lot of signs of hunting pressure. This was in the NE part of Iowa. I am hoping to find better areas before I draw in a year or two.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:44 am

Thanks guys for all the replies. I will put in. I am not a tight wad, but don't like to waste, I am not a big buck junkie (yet every year I hope it is my year in MI, after 30 it hasn't been yet), I am not into scouting as much as most on here. But who doesn't want to go somewhere with a good chance.

I just fear I would have to rush it and not be able to spend the right amount of time. I know buying a tag in Iowa, or anyplace is not a guarantee of a big buck, but I also like to travel and see new things.

So thanks again, I think I will start the process.

And Lance, I don't think you are even close to a jerk. Your a big buck driven guy and I appreciate that.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:33 pm

Thanks for the insights guys. I'm sitting on 4 pts myself, and need to start thinking about when to put in and how to go about making a hunt happen
wdog

Unread postby wdog » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:16 pm

Some people over think it. Scouting is great and all, but honestly just take 2 weeks off during the rut and head down blind and you will do just fine.
Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:57 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Thanks guys for all the replies. I will put in. I am not a tight wad, but don't like to waste, I am not a big buck junkie (yet every year I hope it is my year in MI, after 30 it hasn't been yet), I am not into scouting as much as most on here. But who doesn't want to go somewhere with a good chance.

I just fear I would have to rush it and not be able to spend the right amount of time. I know buying a tag in Iowa, or anyplace is not a guarantee of a big buck, but I also like to travel and see new things.

And Lance, I don't think you are even close to a jerk. Your a big buck driven guy and I appreciate that.

I think that’s a great attitude to have. We live in Iowa and travel all over the place hunting whitetails.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:04 am

Aaron1987 wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:Thanks guys for all the replies. I will put in. I am not a tight wad, but don't like to waste, I am not a big buck junkie (yet every year I hope it is my year in MI, after 30 it hasn't been yet), I am not into scouting as much as most on here. But who doesn't want to go somewhere with a good chance.

I think that’s a great attitude to have. We live in Iowa and travel all over the place hunting whitetails.

Aaron, I really don’t want to sound like I’m prying for info, but I should be able to draw a tag for a southern zone this coming fall. What can I expect the hunting pressure to be like in those southern zones during the first two weeks of November, compared to other Midwestern states like Indiana or Ohio?
I am a teacher in WV, and I always try to take my trips around the week of Veterans Day, mainly so I don’t have to take as many days off.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Aaron1987

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:19 am

Thesouthpaw wrote:
Aaron1987 wrote:

Aaron, I really don’t want to sound like I’m prying for info, but I should be able to draw a tag for a southern zone this coming fall. What can I expect the hunting pressure to be like in those southern zones during the first two weeks of November, compared to other Midwestern states like Indiana or Ohio?
I am a teacher in WV, and I always try to take my trips around the week of Veterans Day, mainly so I don’t have to take as many days off.

In my opinion it’ll be similar to the states you mention. The most crowded time during archery season is the first 10 days of November. We usually travel to hunt other states during that time (like OH and IN) because of it.

During October and mid-late November there is very little archery pressure on IA public land.
KyleWI

Unread postby KyleWI » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:41 am

Aaron +1. We had the woods to ourselves the last 2 weekends in October when we drew. With that being said we filled our tags on the 4th and 7th of November
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:02 am

I agree with others. Very little pressure outside of the first 10 to 14 of November. Sometimes that November pressure helps do the stacking for you tho.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:35 am

It will be interesting to see what happens after this years point draw with all the added pressure everywhere else this last fall I have to wonder if there will be a dramatic increase in people applying for an Iowa tag.
Aaron1987

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:54 am

Over the years we’ve seen more bucks during early November than any other time in Iowa. However, we get more opportunities at mature bucks outside that time.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:44 am

I am glad I finally asked. I am more of a meat hound when I spend the money on an out of state hunt, been out west a few times. My desire to fill a tag is strong and having said that I usually like to hit a gun season when going somewhere new, as I believe it gives a slightly better opportunity, at least distance wise.

So my next question is, is a deer tag in Iowa an any season tag? Meaning can I go bow, and if I don't tag go back during a gun season? If so that might take a little pressure off the bow hunt.

I appreciate all the replies, opinions, and information.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:21 am

Iowa is weapon specific. Gun draws can be drawn with no points. Here are this years draw statistics.
77CE5C8F-02F8-4001-A6CD-B40452C84194.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”