Is Iowa worth it for NR

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Is Iowa worth it for NR

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:42 am

The wait, the points system, the price?

I have said many times that I would rather go elk hunting than throw my hat in the points ring in Iowa and spend 3+ years and hundreds of dollars - that is UNTIL someone invites you. That kinda changes things. When a longtime BEAST says you should come here and I will get you on something, hmmmm.

So what do the rest of you think? How many years does it take, when is the app period for non residents? Anything else I should know?

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Edcyclopedia

Re: Is Iowa worth it for NR

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:54 am

You tell that beast that invited you that you won't go unless Edcylopedia goes...! :snooty:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:07 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:You tell that beast that invited you that you won't go unless Edcylopedia goes...! :snooty:

Now that would be something.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:14 pm

Lou, definitely worth going at least once and see what the rut there is like. I know I’ll be going back when I can.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:20 pm

Lou, the rut in Iowa is an experience to behold. I believe the application period is from May-June, but Id confirm that. You can just buy points instead of putting in for a tag. I would just buy points for 3 years, they're like $50 and never expire. Put in for your tag on the third or fourth year. Worth it is definitely a personal thought process...to a big buck junky I am all in :-)
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:23 pm

Totally worth it. They actually know how to manage a deer herd and will limit nonresident tags which gives you a realistic chance at a good aged buck, even on public land. I’d move to Iowa just for the deer hunting if it wouldn’t cost me half my stuff
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:24 pm

I dont think Iowa is worth it, but I do think you should jump on the opportunity because sharing a hunting camp with a good friend or two is priceless.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:24 pm

I'm an Iowa resident so im sure I take it for granted but just from reading and observing if you are a hard-core whitetail hunter I would say it is. Also depends on your goal. If it is for the experience of a bowhunt or rut hunt then it will take 3 or 4 years. I've said it many times that if your goal is just to shoot or see a certain size deer then an Iowa firearm tag is overlooked. Some units are 1 point or 2 point and some have very good odds with no points
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:39 pm

Personally think it comes down to ones financial situation and thirst for giant bucks. In my head at least, if I wanted a shot at a sure enough giant buck Iowa is the best odds. Will be truthful that if I ever get the nutties to do it I won’t be looking at the public route. I want a high odds shot of a sure enough big en. Between those years of applying and the final cost for the NR tag I want things in my favor. That’s a lot of coin to me.

In the grand plan it doesn’t really matter, I don’t base a hunters knowledge solely on size of bone. Just saying for myself if I go through all that and spend that kinda money I want a legit shot at something really special. In other states with cheap otc tags I wouldn’t feel the same. But rest assure I will never go to Iowa in hopes of a 140” class buck
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:24 pm

It depends on how big a buck you would need to kill to consider it worth it & where you would be going. Some places in Iowa are far better than others. Having a free place to stay is HUGE & helps make it worth it. If I had a free place to stay I would hunt Kansas, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio or any other great big buck state that I had an invite for. Including some places in Michigan.

Either way, if you have an offer I would act on it soon & accept it before it dries up. I had an offer from an Ohio beast once but I couldn't take advantage of it that year. I never got the offer again. Offers are rare. At least for me, but maybe people just think I'm a jerk. :lol:

I almost forgot that I had an offer from a Wisconsin beast about 10 years ago & didn't take him up on it because I figured he was getting a lot of people that wanted to hunt with him so I felt guilty about going. Dumb decision that I regret. Still..., offers aren't common, Especially in good area's.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:21 pm

As someone who has never been there I would say it’s worth it! To me it would be worth it just to experience the best whitetail state this earth has to offer, at least once. I plan on trying to go once my kids are a little older.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:22 pm

Do it.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:16 pm

I'll let you know in 11 months. I'm sitting on a pile of IA points and will be there this fall barring any major unforeseen events.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:28 pm

I would hunt there every year if I could. Sucks waiting four years to draw but limiting non-resident tags is why Iowa is so much better than surrounding states. The age structure is better than I have seen anywhere else. Wish I had started hunting there 30 years ago. Some say Iowa passed it's peak over 10 years ago but it's still pretty darn good.
wdog

Unread postby wdog » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:46 pm

I know I’ll keep going every year I can draw. It’s incredible, the lack of pressure, sheer number of bucks.

Guys always say, “ I’d rather go out west” but they never go out west. To me Iowa is only every 4 years which offsets the price.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”