Too close to the edge of the Public?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowscrub

Too close to the edge of the Public?

Unread postby bowscrub » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:29 am

So I have been putting some time in behind the computer, and I found a few promising public land areas that are pretty close to the edge of the property. How close to the private would be too close to shoot a deer? I am worried about shooting one that runs off and dies on the private. I thought I'd see what some of you all think before I go and check it out in person.

Maverick1

Re: Too close to the edge of the Public?

Unread postby Maverick1 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:33 am

Well, you run the risk of shooting something and having it run off into the private, as you are aware from your post.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to call the neighboring private landowner(s) to get their perspective?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:36 am

I feel that as long as when I shoot the deer, that it is standing on public ground, there is nothing wrong with it. If it runs onto private property, follow your hunting regulations regarding that situation. If I remember correctly here in MN you can go retrieve game from private land without permission as long as you are unarmed. Never hurts to talk to neighboring landowners either before or after the situation occurs, if they don't let you, call the DNR and they can come assist you. Different situations and different pieces of land might call for different judgement though too.
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:03 am

I agree with bcarey2. The only thing I would add is when I’m shooting a bow I want the arrow to stop on the public side of the line also. Not that it matters much but it would be easier to prove the deer was on the public side when I shot. I do have a property where I sit on a tree that has the boundary marker on it, in that case I face the public. Some places have rules about how close you can sit to the property line and different laws about retrieval of game as long as you know and follow the laws I wouldn’t worry about it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:09 am

I like to leave a 100 yard buffer. Sure it’s legal to hunt right up close to the private property line but if you do I guarantee eventually you will run into some kind of conflict. Heard enough horror stories over the years where guys shot giant bucks right on the line and the landowners refused to let them retrieve them. Sure it can still happen from 100 yards away but I’m betting the landowner would be much more accommodating in that situation.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:19 am

bcarey2 wrote:I feel that as long as when I shoot the deer, that it is standing on public ground, there is nothing wrong with it. If it runs onto private property, follow your hunting regulations regarding that situation. If I remember correctly here in MN you can go retrieve game from private land without permission as long as you are unarmed. Never hurts to talk to neighboring landowners either before or after the situation occurs, if they don't let you, call the DNR and they can come assist you. Different situations and different pieces of land might call for different judgement though too.

I agree. If the deer is on public it’s fair game.

The only time I worry about being too close is one of the states I hunt has very strict private rules. If you can’t get permission to retrieve your deer you can’t get it. You can call a game warden but the property owner can still say no. When hunting there I leave more space.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:30 am

Dewey wrote:I like to leave a 100 yard buffer. Sure it’s legal to hunt right up close to the private property line but if you do I guarantee eventually you will run into some kind of conflict. Heard enough horror stories over the years where guys shot giant bucks right on the line and the landowners refused to let them retrieve them. Sure it can still happen from 100 yards away but I’m betting the landowner would be much more accommodating in that situation.
Pretty much what I use as well for a buffer and the further the better. Not worth the hassle.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:10 am

Cutting my teeth on tiny parcels I believe there is angles that are key contributors to hit deer. Imo a buck is not gonna run in the direction he believes danger came from. So for a example A buck coming out of a west bed who is traveling east who gets stuck with a quartering arrow is not gonna run to the direction he believes the danger came from. Same with left/right. If he gets hit on the left side he ain’t going that way he’s going right away from the danger.

I take recovery into account on small property as well. If don’t see em drop. I wide loop em from opposite direction they were shot and try to run em back into the heart of the property I hunt. Has worked beautiful a number of times and a few times I didn’t ever find the buck. But in my head it’s the highest odds thing to do.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:25 am

Common courtesy and to avoid a hassle, buffer. Land owner may be more tolerant if you were not right on the line.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:30 pm

I would say it depends on the neighboring landowner. In Iowa we have the right to retrieve game and blood trail unarmed without permission. I always call or try to contact. If unable or have an issue the wardens are more than happy to assist. If they're hunters and you see visual sign of them or know they actively hunt the property ill leave a buffer. If they are non hunters or no one hunts it I disregard a buffer. I still will set up so that I can't shoot the private property just for optics.
I've seen where people access from the private that the edges are the most pressured or see atv traffic. Also seen where that last 30 yards public is crazy with deer traffic from the private people not hunting or not hunting the public and everyone else on public staying away as well.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:47 am

I like setting up on the edge, facing public to keep the deer in front of me. I like this setup bc a deer rarely runs the same direction/side it was shot from. Again I said rarely. They should generally run the direction they were heading, opposite way the shot came from or back where they came from. That obviously varies and tons of variables. You cant control it but thats my thought process on it. I have only seen a few shots where the deer ran the same direction the shot came from. It does happen tho.

So to me a perfect scenario is - im close to the line, my back to the line, I am at a higher elevation up a hill, the deer is walking on the public side, broadside and parallel w the property line. If I shoot a perfect shot he should continue his route and gradually go down hill staying on public. If I had a 100 yard buffer shooting up hill - I would expect him to run to private side. Or maybe he comes from behind me from private, crosses the line, walking away from me, going down hill, w a quartering away shot.

Like I said this is just my thought process on it. It cant be controlled like that but that is how I go about it. The setup changes based on the situation and bedding areas im hunting.

As far as retrieving a deer on private goes. Every state is different and I conduct myself by following the rules. Here in MO, if I can see the dead deer I am probably going to get it w/o making a call. Alot would depend on the property location, owners, markings, fences, houses, etc... I would not have the same mentality to follow a blood trail w/o getting permission. If I lived in a very strict state I would not do that and probably would back off.
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:46 am

If you are on public land and the deer is on public land when you shoot, then you are not breaking any ethics. Hunt on...
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:53 am

Had 3 people this year let me look for deer on their property 2 were right next to public the other was private to private. If you go up and ask with respect a lot of people will say yes. Obviously some will say no, it’s the risk of hunting those locations. I never tell people I shot a buck, I just say I shot a deer, believe it is dead and would like permission to retrieve it. I’m only shooting bucks in those situations though. Not going to shoot a doe 75 yards from the property line, not worth it.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:58 pm

bowscrub wrote:So I have been putting some time in behind the computer, and I found a few promising public land areas that are pretty close to the edge of the property. How close to the private would be too close to shoot a deer? I am worried about shooting one that runs off and dies on the private. I thought I'd see what some of you all think before I go and check it out in person.

Man thats a tricky question and alot of variables. So some thoughts that come to my mind are do you have the ability to ask these land owners if the situation arises if you can go over there, of course a call first. Its always good to build a relationship in the off season way before hunting is on anyone's mind.
Another question would be shot placement. If you are close and do not have permission then you will have to make darn sure he goes down quick. Taking any kind of a sketchy shot is out of the question and you may need to dial back your effective range some.
And determining their direction of travel and anticipated line of travel is another big one. So there are some things you need to ask yourself before reaching a conclusion.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:16 pm

Kevin2 wrote:If you are on public land and the deer is on public land when you shoot, then you are not breaking any ethics. Hunt on...

Yup... Don’t hunt to make others happy. Hunt legal and hunt for yourself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”